5/3/1 + BBB, Question about Adding Rows

Hello

I’m currently using 5/3/1 template + BBB.

Monday:
Bench 5/3/1
Bench BBB 5x10
Chins/Pullups (between every bbb set) 5x10

Tuesday
Deadlift 5/3/1
Deadlift BBB 5x10
Ab work

Thursday
Ohp 5/3/1
Ohp BBB 5x10
Chins/Pullups (between every bbb set) 5x10

Friday
Squat 5/3/1
Squat BBB 5x10
AB work

I read everywhere rows are great for grip/upper back/bench etc and to be honest i really enjoy rowing.
Im thinking about adding kroc rows on monday and 2-3 sets heavy barbell rows on thursday. Does it make sense?

Because I have some concerns. Will kroc rows on monday not affect my deadlift next day??
And all this pulling volume is not too much for back?

Not sure about Kroc Rows – probably okay – but I would definitely avoid doing Barbell Rows. BBB Squat + BBB Deadlift + Barbell Rows would put too much pressure on the lower back (I know they are not on the same day but doesn’t matter).

What you are doing looks solid to me. If I were in your position, and wanted to add in rows, I would swap out your chins/pullups on one of your pressing days (I would choose the bench day. Just a personal “balance” thing) and add in some DB rows. Probably 5x10.

I know Kroc rows are great for grip strength, but you can get SOME of the same benefits with basic DB rows using 5x10, as long as you slowly progress into heavier DB weights. Also, 5x10 DB rows would be FAR less taxing than heavy BB rows, especially if you add them in without taking anything out.

Again, I wouldn’t ADD any rows to any days without REMOVING something else (in this case, the chins). Just swap them out. Plus, this gives you some variety in your pulling work, rather than always using chins.

Ultimately, it’s your decision. I’m just saying that the more you overthink this, and the more you change the template, the less effective it will become. Alter it to fit your wants/needs in a minor way if you wish, but change too much and you mess up the balance.

I hope this was helpful.

1 Like

That’s certainly what would happen to me. I’ve done bb rows on bench days before, BTW, and it’s been fine.

Edit: I’ve got a 531 BBB cycle coming up at my bench day is just bench and bb rows.

I would definitely avoid doing Barbell Rows. BBB Squat + BBB Deadlift +
Barbell Rows would put too much pressure on the lower back (I know they
are not on the same day but doesn’t matter).

I do barbell rows a little differently, i mean im doing yates rows (more upright position, rowing to low abdomen - easier for lower back) But this is exactly what I was worried about.

Ultimately, it’s your decision. I’m just saying that the more you
overthink this, and the more you change the template, the less effective
it will become.

Yes im fully understand this. And this is why im asking here about rows. If this is not a good idea to add rows then i will not add them.

You do rows just like it says in the book. It’s literally written in the book.

It’s called 5/3/1.

4 Likes