T Nation

5/3/1 BBB, Different Assistance Work?

Now I'm doing boring but big. But there is a problem - it's boring. I don't enjoy it. Could i do more different exercises, but with same volume? For example: instead of 5x10 military press, i do 5x10 of dumbbell overhead press. Or instead of 5x10 chin ups - 3x10 chin ups and 2x10 t bar rows?

What about adding little bit of curls and tricep extensions? I really miss those.
And adding core/ab work?

Of course, i could do triumvirate or periodization bible, but for some reason everyone tells that BBB is best for getting big and strong. Why is that? I don't see how triumvirate or periodization bible should be worse than BBB

You are free to train however you want. If you think that your way is better to reach your goals, I believe you should do it.
Good luck - there is no need to ask a question when you are defensive of an answer. Follow your gut.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
You are free to train however you want. If you think that your way is better to reach your goals, I believe you should do it.
Good luck - there is no need to ask a question when you are defensive of an answer. Follow your gut. [/quote]

Of course, but i don’t have that much experience and knowledge, that’s why im asking you :slight_smile:
I don’t say that my idea is right, and what book says is wrong. I just want to know if that’s a good idea

P.S. Jim, i hope im not too annoying with my questions. I want to gain knowledge, and question everything to understand, not just blindly follow a program.

My .02… if your looking for more variations on BBB or 5/3/1 in general I would recommend joining Jim’s forum. He has plenty of articles and templates to kill your boredom with, not to mention the actual message board fun. “Its more fun hunting for your answers instead of being spoon fed.”

[quote]RagnarBlackmane wrote:
My .02… if your looking for more variations on BBB or 5/3/1 in general I would recommend joining Jim’s forum. He has plenty of articles and templates to kill your boredom with, not to mention the actual message board fun. “Its more fun hunting for your answers instead of being spoon fed.”[/quote]

$20/month. I wish i could afford that. Maybe some day.

When I’m focusing on gaining size sometimes I’ll do BBB, and sometimes I’ll do a variation for 5x10. Typically, leg press, SLDL, Good Morning, inline bench, DB bench and DB press.

[quote]some_dude wrote:
When I’m focusing on gaining size sometimes I’ll do BBB, and sometimes I’ll do a variation for 5x10. Typically, leg press, SLDL, Good Morning, inline bench, DB bench and DB press.

[/quote]

What makes BBB better than other assistance routines from 5/3/1 for gaining size?

[quote]creatinejunkie wrote:

[quote]some_dude wrote:

[/quote]

What makes BBB better than other assistance routines from 5/3/1 for gaining size?[/quote]

1. Like Jim said, you already know what you want to do. Do it.

2. Like Jim also says, its assistance work, it doesn’t fucking matter. Focus on your main lifts more and stop being so concerned about your assistance work. Its ASSISTANCE work. Push the main sets hard and utilize some movements that help compliment your main lifts. If you don’t care about your main lifts and are just concerned with your assistance you might as well stop training them with a focus.

Just my 2.

Good luck - there is no need to ask a question when you are defensive of an answer. Follow your gut. [/quote]

Of course, but i don’t have that much experience and knowledge, that’s why im asking you :slight_smile:
I don’t say that my idea is right, and what book says is wrong. I just want to know if that’s a good idea

P.S. Jim, i hope im not too annoying with my questions. I want to gain knowledge, and question everything to understand, not just blindly follow a program.[/quote]

You are not annoying at all. But you need to find your way and you have an idea of what you want to do. I can’t change anyone’s mind that is made up - I gave that up a long time ago. My advice is to work in 6 week blocks (this is in the Beyond book) and give it a test. Make sure you eat NOT like the Twink Queens and Circuit Hipsters that plague the industry. Tools be shrinkin’ due to the rampant stupidity heralded by Facebook experts.

[quote]some_dude wrote:

[/quote]

What makes BBB better than other assistance routines from 5/3/1 for gaining size?[/quote]

Nothing. BBB is popular because it’s simple yet effective… but it’s only one tool in the toolbox.

P.S. Jim, i hope im not too annoying with my questions. I want to gain knowledge, and question everything to understand, not just blindly follow a program.[/quote]

You are not annoying at all. But you need to find your way and you have an idea of what you want to do. I can’t change anyone’s mind that is made up - I gave that up a long time ago. My advice is to work in 6 week blocks (this is in the Beyond book) and give it a test. Make sure you eat NOT like the Twink Queens and Circuit Hipsters that plague the industry. Tools be shrinkin’ due to the rampant stupidity heralded by Facebook experts.

[/quote]

I’ve not made my mind. I’ve just posted an idea about training, and i want do discuss it with someone who has more knowledge and experience than me.

I have run several different templates for 5/3/1 such as different versions of BBB, SST, Triumverate, S.S.S., and the Rule of 50. All of the templates have one thing in common and that is hard work. Super-set your pressing exercises with chin ups and you won’t have enough energy left to worry about tricep extensions or curls. I have gained size and also been able to cut fat while working through these templates along with getting a lot stronger than I was before I started the program. The main lift is the #1 priority in 5/3/1. Push your final sets hard and let whatever template you use take care of itself. Eat, lift, sleep and repeat!

I had good success doing incline press as the supplement to OHP and my shoulders liked it better than having so much direct overhead work.

There is really no difference in any program. They’re all 5/3/1. You bench, squat, deadlift, and press on all of them. Don’t get caught up on the assistance work. If you don’t care for BBB don’t do it. Do triumvirate or something. Focus on the major lifts and don’t sweat the details.

[/quote]

I’ve not made my mind. I’ve just posted an idea about training, and i want do discuss it with someone who has more knowledge and experience than me.
[/quote]

And my answer is right there: do it for 6 weeks and give it a shot. The reason why we keep the same movement is regulation of volume and being able to control that aspect. This is VERY similar, in a way to the Lifer programming and I am changing some of the BBB programming. However, it doesn’t change the 5x10 work that is boring, only the programming of that work.

If you want to do different movements in your training, I’m all for you experimenting in your own training. Good luck.

5/3/1 is one of the most modifiable programs out there. I change my set-up very slightly with every cycle but stick with very few, big, basic, compound movements. I also find the more I train with 5/3/1, the less I want to do isolation work like curls etc.