5/3/1 BBB 2013-2017 Comparison

Hi guys and girls

Question 1;
Looking at the 2013 & 2017 editions of BBB and the 2013 edition states it can be ran 3 or 4 days but the 2017 version states it’s only for 4 days? That’s a little confusing to me or can it all be ran either 3 or 4 days?

Reason for question above is gym training days in week one can easily be 4 days but the following week I probably can only get 3 in?

Question 2:

I fully understand the 5/3/1 principles
And believe I understand the 5 x 10 principles and I quite like the ascending % 30/40/50/60/70 of Training Max

The little bit I’m confused about is how you achieve that doing chin ups or pull ups using %

So for example:

Day 1:
Press 5/3/1
Bench 5 x 10 using ascending method
Lat Work: 5 x 10

To balance out some of the overhead pressing I was going to include pull/chin ups as well as rows but how does that work on % or is about getting in the 50 reps?

Question 3:
Comparing the 2017 version again, there is added supplementary work:

Including face pulls and rep goals for chin up rather than a 5 x 10 method

So does this fit into a 3 day schedule as it’s listed as 4 not 3/2/5

I’m confused as to why one program can be ran 3 days but the other states only 4 surely it can be ran
Week 1: 4
Week 2: 3
Week 3: 4 etc as long as your rolling the 4 workouts within the training parameters

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to anyone that does

And please feel free to correct me on anything I’ve totally misunderstood or miscommunicated.

All the best

Well, you dont understand the principles i guess…

Anyway… it doesnt matter. How could it? How could anyone besides your calendar know how many days did you go to the gym?
You can do 2,3,4,5 days, you can do a 7 day week or a 10 day week. I dont see any reasonable idea how would that possibly matter.

Use the lat pulldown machine or the pullup machine that assists you if you cant do enough reps. Or add weight in a chain or a belt if your bodyweight is not enough.
Anyways, i dont think the BBB percentages are for assistance work. They are for supplemental barbell work. You dont do BBB percentages for every exercise.

For example… you do your 531 bench, followed by a BBB bench superseted with whatever the fuck pulling movements - reps and weight doesnt matter, just do something or sometimes - dont. You cant load Overhead Press with such precise % most of the times. I have no idea how would one load even lighter smaller movements. You also dont progress on most assistance exercises like you do on main work. After a certain point, most people would rep same weight and same reps for months. It still is enough to stimulate muscle growth.

Nothing Wendler adds or removes is set in stone. Those all are examples. The main principles are - start light, progress slow, break prs, use multi joint movements, balance.
Then there is the 531 progression % plan with 200 ways to do it, and 200 more ways you can do it if you just use your imagination.

Like literally - nothing you asked, truly matters, for one to live in the amazing realm of 531.

2 Likes