T Nation

5/3/1 Assistance Exercises

If I do Workout A on Monday, B on Tues does this make sense? Seems odd doing bicep curls on monday and then chinups on Tuesday. Would that be a problem?

Workout A

1 Barbell Shoulder Press
Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
2 Barbell Upright Row
Sets: 4 Reps: 10 Rest: 60-90 sec.
3 Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Sets: 4 Sets: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
4 Bentover Dumbbell Raise
Sets: 4 Reps: 15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
5 Dumbbell Curl
Sets: 4 Reps: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
Workout B

1 Deadlift
2 Chinup
3 Dumbbell Row
4 Back Extension
Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec.
5 Ab Wheel Rollout
Workout C

1 Bench Press
2 Dumbbell Bench Press
3 Dip
4 Dumbbell Fly
5 Triceps Pushdown
Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
Workout D

1 Squat
2 Leg Press
Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
3 Leg Extension
4 Leg Curl
5 Situp
Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Ideally, you’ll want your back to be doing the bulk of the work in the chin ups. Yes your biceps will take over near the top, but being a small muscle group it’s recovery abilities are excellent so I wouldn’t be worried about doing curls the following day. If anything, you’ll see some good growth/strength increases from a set up like that. Just my humble opinion though.

Are you’re goals BB related? If so, there is a Wendler blood and chalk article where Wendler lays out how to use 5/3/1 for BB.

Part of 531 is to balance pushing and pulling. You have no pulling on bench day. Do db rows. How about putting pullups on mil press day for the same reason?

I got this from an article actually written by Wendler, so I thought it MUST be a good setup.

I am training to get fit, stronger, and leaner, not necessarily to bulk like crazy. I just want to put on a bit of muscle.

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
I got this from an article actually written by Wendler, so I thought it MUST be a good setup.[/quote]

Good inference. I would just do it then.

If you find something about it not working (e.g., can’t do pullups because your bis are fried from the day before) then change it, but run it and see what, if any, problems you actually encounter first.

You could put your pull ups as super-sets with your 5-3-1 press.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
You could put your pull ups as super-sets with your 5-3-1 press.[/quote]

Exactly what I do. Does not interfere with recovery. I also do wide pull-ups with flat bench. None of these sets are to failure, but done explosively. I usually end up having done 30-40 reps.

I also usually get a set of chins in between every bench or press set. I often start the workout with chins and continue to do them between all warmup, 5/3/1, and BBB sets for bench and press. None of these sets are to failure, but if you have four warmup sets, three 5/3/1 sets, and five BBB sets, along with one set before starting, that’s thirteen sets of chins. So it’s easy to get plenty of volume in while avoiding doing too much in any one set.

I also do chins in my apartment throughout the day.