T Nation

5/3/1 and T-Ransformation in GarageRocker's Basement

My glutes are certainly feeling it from my foray with them yesterday. Ouch.

1 Like

They work wonders for my side-to-side balance, which is generally dogshit most of the time. Lifting is just a game of trying harder to suck less.

1 Like

I have no motivation to do as much assistance as you during a deload, haha. Can you describe your Nordic curl setup?

It’s really not much, especially with the super light main work. Keeps the non-main-mover muscles from flabbing out any harder than they already are.

The Nordic curl setup is just the Spud Inc. Glute Ham strap. I put it around my bench, slip my feet in and go for it. I can’t do a single one unassisted so I catch myself with my hands and do an explosive pushup where my hamstrings/glutes pull as hard as possible to complete the movement. Then slow negative. Cry when needed.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve never seen something like that. I’m super intrigued. I miss being able to do GHRs. I think they helped my deadlift lockout a lot. I was able to do banded reps or hold plates while doing them, but I also have a feeling I wouldn’t be able to do an unassisted Nordic curl. Might have to try it out even though I just told myself to not buy anything else :rofl:

Cheat code: just use rope and make sure you’re wearing high-cut shoes. Like $5 worth of 3/4" diameter rope is perfect. Double it and tie it in a loop big enough to fit your feet through.

The adjustability of the Spud was nice when I was traveling and used it on various pieces of equipment at different gyms. But I haven’t needed to change it for 3 years. Flex those DIY muscles.

2 Likes

A ratchet straps would do the same thing. I might give this a crack next time doing hams

1 Like

I feel like this would be a lot less painful than the rope idea, nice!

1 Like

1/14/2020 - 7th Week Deadlift

Agile 8 and 2 cups of coffee.

Deadlift
135 x 5
200 x 5
240 x 5
285 x 5

Assistance
SS w/ deadlift
Ab wheel - 3 x 10

SS w/ each other
Band face pulls - 2 x 25
Dips - 25 lbs - 2 x 10 - BWT - 1 x 10

I felt pretty lopsided today and my left elbow hurt during dips - if it happens next week I’ll probably swap dips for DB seated press.

2 Likes

Barefoot master race!

1 Like

Ehh, didn’t go so well on deadlifts. Could just be a bad day though, I had band practice last night and that usually beats me up. It’s very easy to forget how much effort singing/screaming takes :grimacing:

1/17/2020 - Pervertor L1W1D1

Afternoon training session today. Fasted since midnight last night. Normal PWO routine.

Squat
45 x 5
155 x 5
190 x 5
225 x 3
260 x 5
295 x 5
335 x 5
260 - 10 x 5

Assistance - SS w/ squat
Nordic ham curl - 3 x 10
DB curl - 25 lbs - 5 x 10
Incline DB bench - 45 lbs - 3 x 10

Cardio - 40 lb DB

I felt really good today, squat was fast and my core was doing its job. Barefoot felt fine. Supplemental volume was hard but I’m glad I got through it. Assistance was good, I can add weight for bench. Cardio kicked my ass as always and I got a wicked mid-back pump.

5 Likes

1/18/2020 - Pervertor L1W1D2

Up and moving, feeling good. Normal PWO routine. Good and sore from yesterday.

Bench
45 x 5
100 x 5
125 x 5
150 x 3
175 x 5
200 x 5
225 x 5
175 - 10 x 5

Assistance - SS w/ bench
DB row - 105 lbs - 3 x 15
Bulgarian split squat - 40 lbs - 3 x 10
DB “plate raise” - 40 lbs - 3 x 10

Cardio - 15 minutes steady state rowing

Taking time away from benching seems to have…helped my bench? I’m very happy with that. The weight flew on all sets and I felt like I was in control of the bar the whole time. Also, still trying to be part of the barefoot master race @whang. Assistance was good, glad to be back to DB rows. BSS always tough and the fake plate raises were interesting. Rowing was nice. I feel like I have a lot of energy today, hoping it stays that way.

6 Likes

Well to be perfectly transparent, I only prefer going barefoot on squats and deadlifts

1 Like

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks, again, for turning me on to pervertor. I see why you recommended it. It’s far and above my favorite template I’ve done so far. It’s for sure going into regular rotation!

Pumped to see what you end up doing on it

1 Like

Happy to have helped man, I’m already mad I’m doing it but I know I’ll be better off. Legs are killing me after them squats

Yeah getting around at work the 2 days after squats was pretty interesting to say the least lol.

1 Like