5/3/1 and Speed Work?

[quote]deadlift1992 wrote:
btw GruntOrama another reason why i am putting speed work in is because im more explosive than i am strong sooo i kinda need speed work, i wont do WSB im comfortable with 5/3/1
[/quote]

So you are essentially doing a Upper/Lower split with ME days and DE days. It’s sounds to me like you are trying to do westside except with two main movements and percentage prescriptions.

welll see i was brought onto this thread by farmerson12 because i too asked the same question on a thread of my own my idea is as such Day 1 OHP AND BENCH: 5/3/1 OHP and 5/3/1 Bench and standing db OHP
Day 2 Deadlift and Squat: 5/3/1 Deadlift and 5/3/1 Squat
Day 3 DE OHP and Bench using 60,65 and 70% of 1rm incline bench 60,65, and 70% and 5/3/1 BBcurl and 5/3/1 weighted pullups n weighted chins
Day 4 DE Deadlift and Squat and BB rows (this day is optional because i dnt need help with these two)

The reason why i want to change it up a lil is to have all my pushing movements on 1 day instead of spreading them out due to over working the pushing muscles and get some light speed work in as well a few days later and will adjust my bench accordingly since I’ll be doing OHP first
[/quote]

What you intend to do is fine, it may be perfect for you…but it’s not 5/3/1!

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=139077&tid=164

/thread

oh and this too for all of you who are too slow to figure this stuff out

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=131228&tid=164

btw GruntOrama another reason why i am putting speed work in is because im more explosive than i am strong sooo i kinda need speed work, i wont do WSB im comfortable with 5/3/1
[/quote]

Wait, you’re doing speed work because you’re more explosive than you are strong?

So, instead of training to be strong (which you are less), you are training to be explosive (which you are more).

What…the…I don’t even know.

Some of you are putting far too much trust in the ability of light box squats to make you athletic. You will be sorely disappointed.

i dnt do box squats… i hate them, what im saying isss if i dont do speed work i actually get weaker… because if i have to struggle too much i miss the lift

I do DE bench before Military 5/3/1 and DE box Squats before Deadlift 5/3/1. I like it so far, but my numbers are still pretty low compared to normal. When the weather gets nice I plan on doing jumps and throws for DE work, but with 10" snow on the ground it’s not happening and ceiling is not conducive to jumps or throws in the gym.

i dnt do box squats… i hate them, what im saying isss if i dont do speed work i actually get weaker… because if i have to struggle too much i miss the lift[/quote]

struggle too much?

isthisrealife.jpg?

i dnt do box squats… i hate them, what im saying isss if i dont do speed work i actually get weaker… because if i have to struggle too much i miss the lift[/quote]

I…I don’t even know.

So, you’re saying you’re a pussy. Trust me if you’re not struggling with the weight, you’re not lifting enough.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

struggle too much?

isthisrealife.jpg?[/quote]

hahah nooo u guys dont get what im saying about needing speed work, im no pussy, hell even dave tate has made tht same type of comment before like I have and you wouldnt call him a pussy would you?

stronghold nice pic btw, im still very strong but if i stop doing speed work for a while my lifts slow down therefore i lose the strength that i need because im more of an explosive lifter…

hahah nooo u guys dont get what im saying about needing speed work, im no pussy, hell even dave tate has made tht same type of comment before like I have and you wouldnt call him a pussy would you?[/quote]

No, you don’t get that what you’re saying isn’t a justification for needing speed work, but rather a description of what happens to EVERY person who is lifting near their max.

If you’re missing lifts as soon as they slow down, then you’re either giving up early (not working hard) or have some glaring technical deficit or weak point.

hahah nooo u guys dont get what im saying about needing speed work, im no pussy, hell even dave tate has made tht same type of comment before like I have and you wouldnt call him a pussy would you?[/quote]

Dave Tate pressed 700 lbs off two boards. Are pressing 700 lbs off two boards?

stronghold nice pic btw, im still very strong but if i stop doing speed work for a while my lifts slow down therefore i lose the strength that i need because im more of an explosive lifter…[/quote]

Dude, listen. When you’re lifting, you should lift as fast as you can. So, as Captain Kirk said, “I should be able to squat 135 twice as fast as I can 270, and seven times as fast as 945.” What I am saying is stop worrying about the damn speed work and lift the fucking weight, you’re weak! Who gives a fuck if you can lift 135 27 times super fast if you can’t squat 500 lbs.

This is what you do, when you’re warming up before your workout sets, you have should have about 40-50 reps before you hit a work set. This is when you do your speed work, you blast those reps as fast as you can, when you get to your work sets, you hit those as fast as you possibly can. Why the fuck would you need to waste time and energy on another day you could be doing another lift and could just do your speed work before doing your work sets.

ive been doing what i said i would for a while now, it worked for me…

DE box squats are the best thing that I’ve done for my raw squat and I use accommodating resistance too. It’s done a ton for my form and explosiveness throughout the whole movement.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
DE box squats are the best thing that I’ve done for my raw squat and I use accommodating resistance too. It’s done a ton for my form and explosiveness throughout the whole movement. [/quote]

facepalm

Some of you guys need to learn context