T Nation

5/3/1 and Cutting During Ramadan

Hello everyone. I am currently doing my second cycle of 531 and have had great success with it. I am a practicing Muslim is Ramadan (16 hours of dry fast) is approaching next month. I am planning to cut during the month since it is pretty difficult to get in enough calories and generally goes against the whole spirit of Ramadan.

I would like to stick to 531 during this month, but since my recovery capabilities will be limited I am unsure if I could continue progressing at the rate I currently am. Which is why plan on reducing my frequency to three days a week and reduce my weight increments by half. I am also thinking of only doing the prescribed reps during the last set.

What are your thoughts on this?
Thank you

I’m not Muslim but I did marry into a Sunni family and occasionally workout with some Muslim guys at my gym. Only about half of them do the fast even though they are otherwise observant. They say that they get too hungry and can’t recover well enough. Your plan sounds like it would be worth trying though. I don’t have any real advice but I’d like to hear about how it goes.

Salam bro.
Honestly 5/3/1 is one of my favorite things to run in Ramadan since you can tweak it so many ways. You can do a cycle of 5/3/1 without increasing your TM, only prescribed reps no PR’s, and minimal assistance

With the new Forever book I wonder if there’s also a way to just run the 7th week protocol deload for the entire month.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Sounds like a great time to run the Jack Shit template, or coast along with minimum reps and easy assistance & conditioning.

4 Likes