5/3/1 and Complexes

Hi Jim,

Do you think it could be productive to run complexes as assistance after the main lifts for a hypertrophy phase (have previously done boring but big). I mean the Dan John style ones e.g

row
powerclean
front squat
press
back squat
good morning

over a cycle try to add sets/reps weight. maybe after every workout or twice a week?

I’m not a big fan of complexes. My wife used them when she had a broken rib and was 8 months pregnant - this was because she couldn’t train “normally” anymore and this was the only thing she could do. So I generally recommend complexes to pregnant woman who have broken ribs. Other than that, not a fan.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
I’m not a big fan of complexes. My wife used them when she had a broken rib and was 8 months pregnant - this was because she couldn’t train “normally” anymore and this was the only thing she could do. So I generally recommend complexes to pregnant woman who have broken ribs. Other than that, not a fan.[/quote]
but Klokov does them!!!

I just did a 4 week complex programme from this site, and I did the main lift as per the 5/3/1 sets before the complex.

Really enjoyed it, lost 4kg (goal was weight loss), felt a boost in my conditioning, and then moved straight into the Triumverate afterwards with no hassle.

I am not Jim Wendler’s wife :wink:

Checkout Alpha’s logs -combined 5/3/1 with complexes with great sucess