T Nation

5/3/1 and Calf Training

Hi all. I’ve been following 531 for some time it’s a great program-the only 1 I’d use. I haven’t yet come across anything for calf training yet tho. I’ve looked at the programs for calf’s on this site and tried to incorporate those into my training. But I don’t know if this is the right thing to do, as some of these programs may be for a lifter using juice etc. If anybody could help me with any recommendations that would be great thanks. Just for peace of mind that I’m selecting/doing the right thing more than anything else, thanks

Hello Ash,

My advice to you would be to hit calves at the end of each session. The reason being is that the calf muscle is very stubborn and requires a high amount of volume to stimulate growth. It also recovers very quickly so you won’t be over doing it. Something like 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps on an exercise of your choice would be a good start, see how you get on.

James

Prowler work will sort your calves out.

I do 100 reps of calfs after deadlift day because at this point I feel strong calfs help with a sturdy stance. Do what you want man it’s your gym time. Enjoy your training.

Thanks

Push the prowler and do some easy conditioning by walking wearing a weight vest. You shouldn’t need more than that unless you’re trying to be a bodybuilder.

Hit high reps and stretch and contract your calfs. Don’t worry about the weight. Don’t bounce hit the movement perfectly. 4 set of 15-30 reps depending on the week. Finally seeing life in my calfs by doing this after people said I would never have big calfs.