5-3-1 Advice

Interested in trying Welders 5-3-1 program. Sounds like it would be good if I learned some patience with it. I’ve been stagnant in my progress in terms of mass for the last few months being a poor hungry college guy Front squats as an alternative to back squats? Has anyone on the program used a unique dietary protocol to optimize their results?

Currently my stats are
5’8"
178 pounds
7-9% BF
Bench Press Max: 305
Back Squat: last done- 5 rm at 350. Front squats past 2 months
Deadlift: 410
Seated Shoulder press: 205x4

I love 5/3/1. It’s simple enough that I don’t need to worry about ‘getting it right’ or dread every session, I can just go and do it.

The #1 thing is to go lighter than usual. Given my low numbers (I’m weaker than you), I was very skeptical to reduce them more, but I have been noticing good results with the decreased weight.

You’ll make good progress with the program, considering that if followed correctly you can add 120 pounds to squat and deadlift per year, and 60 to bench and overhead press per year.

TL;DR: Trust me, you’ll like it. It’s easy and fun.

Thanks man. I’m def. looking for something that is simple where I don’t need to think about the billion other exercise variations I have heard. I’m sure it will be great once I get over my ego and go with weights that are lighter than i usually use. Did you follow the plan verbatum or did you deviate in some of your auxillary lifts?

Have you been using a 5x5 now? Stagnated?

[quote]johnconkle wrote:
I love 5/3/1. It’s simple enough that I don’t need to worry about ‘getting it right’ or dread every session, I can just go and do it.

The #1 thing is to go lighter than usual. Given my low numbers (I’m weaker than you), I was very skeptical to reduce them more, but I have been noticing good results with the decreased weight.

You’ll make good progress with the program, considering that if followed correctly you can add 120 pounds to squat and deadlift per year, and 60 to bench and overhead press per year.

TL;DR: Trust me, you’ll like it. It’s easy and fun.
[/quote]

absolutely right about going lighter than usual. I tried using the program months ago and i screwed it up by trying to go to heavy to quick. I stalled. this time around i followed it exactly and im on a third cycle and still making progress.

[quote]bacher wrote:
Thanks man. I’m def. looking for something that is simple where I don’t need to think about the billion other exercise variations I have heard. I’m sure it will be great once I get over my ego and go with weights that are lighter than i usually use. Did you follow the plan verbatum or did you deviate in some of your auxillary lifts?[/quote]

Buy the e-book. I follow the main lifts template exactly, and made the spreadsheet.

You can do any assistance you want. Just make sure it’s assisting your main lifts, and not detracting. I did bodyweight for 3 months and found that it was no longer assisting, and that I needed a break.

I’m doing BBB now, with Kroc Rows on press day, Pendlay Rows for bench, Ab Wheel on squat day, and GHR slipped in on sumo deadlift day.

No one is spying on you and checking out what weights you are using, so just drop them a bit and chill out. Trust me.

o. just nice that i found this thread. i just started 5/3/1 and was also skeptical about reducing the weight. this makes me feel loads better. sorry to /hijack this thread a little (but you may also want to know this), what kinda additional lifts do you add to your core exercises? and which do you think helps the best? and how many?

absolutely start light, just follow the ebook. The only lift thats stalled on me is military press. I think if I could load 2.5lbs a week or even 1lb my progress would be better. I’m trying to be more explosive with the press since I just cant get any more weight on it. +Lift speed=progress. +another rep=progress. Patience is key. The program works. Assistance lifts; follow the ebook. He explains how you can keep variety and how/when to cut back.

so far my aux. lifts have been dips and chins with lat raises on wkout 1. wkout 2 they were good mornings, calves, and an ab circut, wkout 3 auxillary lifts d.b. bench and d.b.row, and wkout 4 im doing front squats rather than leg press, and weighted glute ham raise rather than leg curl, also throwing in some barbell curls at the end. Hope this helps