5/3/1 2-Day Template

Hi everyone,

I will start 5/3/1 next week and I will be doing the 2 day template where I do two movements on one day so I do all 4 movements in 1 week.

Now I want to ask if it is okay to do BBB 5x5 after all my main movements when training twice a week. It would be something like this:

Squat 5/3/1
Squat BBB 5x5
Bench 5/3/1
Bench BBB 5x5

Deadlift 5/3/1
Deadlift BBB 5x5
Press 5/3/1
Press BBB 5x5

Or should I first be doing the 5/3/1 sets of both movements and the 5x5 of both after?

[quote]Siemen wrote:
Hi everyone,

I will start 5/3/1 next week and I will be doing the 2 day template where I do two movements on one day so I do all 4 movements in 1 week.

Now I want to ask if it is okay to do BBB 5x5 after all my main movements when training twice a week. It would be something like this:

Squat 5/3/1
Squat BBB 5x5
Bench 5/3/1
Bench BBB 5x5

Deadlift 5/3/1
Deadlift BBB 5x5
Press 5/3/1
Press BBB 5x5

Or should I first be doing the 5/3/1 sets of both movements and the 5x5 of both after?[/quote]

You wouldn’t do BBB, you’d move to FSL (check out the Lifer program) or you can do the Not Doing Jack Shit Lifer Program - which is made for 2 day a week, option 1.

Hi Jim,

I’m not familiar with the lifer program. Could you please tell me what this is?

Thanks you

[quote]Siemen wrote:
Hi Jim,

Thanks you[/quote]

Buy the e-book. It’s not expensive.

I’ve tried doing 5/3/1 BBB on a two day template several times and I find it slows my strength gains compared to any other template.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Siemen wrote:
Hi Jim,

Thanks you[/quote]

Buy the e-book. It’s not expensive.

I’ve tried doing 5/3/1 BBB on a two day template several times and I find it slows my strength gains compared to any other template.[/quote]
Lifer is not in a book, it’s on Jim’s private forums…

Hi,

I also had exactly the same question as the OP. Due to busyness, I’ve recently transitioned into the template he posted.

If I were to utilize FSL for a 2x a week template, would I just utilize the original FSL variation? I’m wondering if 4 total sets per main lift would be enough volume (esp since I’m transitioning from BBB).

Or perhaps another option would be to utilize the FSL: multiple set variation to get necessary volume in?

I hope I’m making sense. Thanks for your input.

I have been thinking about my routine and was thinking to go to 5’s PRO 2 days à week since I’m stil a beginner and do FSL afterwards. If I want to gaan some mass too, should I be doing 5x5 or would 3x5 be enough volume?

For folks worried about 2x/week and volume, the 531 rest-pause challenge is readily available on the main page of this site. By way of testimonials it sounds like it addresses the volume issue very well.

In the Beyond book, option 2 for the 28 week template is 2 days/week, covers several options some people want about additional volume. FSL AMRAP/RP, up/down ladder, TM for max reps, and joker sets are the 4 he outlines in the chapter.

BTW, that rest pause stuff is no joke, it drains the fuck out of me the next couple of days after the workout. If you do the challenge above that TX iron mentions, and push for 20 rep squats like I did…be prepared…

Here’s a rough template you could follow (just a suggestion):

Workout A:

• Overhead Press 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Deadlifts 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Pull-ups x 50 total reps

Workout B:

• Squat 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Bench 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Rows x 50 total reps

If you’re beginner, I think you’d make progress easily with the above split, or any well put-together split to be honest. Just get in the gym and do the work.

[quote]ChristNhero wrote:
Here’s a rough template you could follow (just a suggestion):

Workout A:

• Overhead Press 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Deadlifts 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Pull-ups x 50 total reps

Workout B:

• Squat 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Bench 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Rows x 50 total reps

If you’re beginner, I think you’d make progress easily with the above split, or any well put-together split to be honest. Just get in the gym and do the work.[/quote]

This is how many people train at my gym. ALL make ridiculous progress. Except we don’t do any assistance. Today, for example - double overhand deadlift - 330x10. The guy came to gym deadlifting 135 for a difficult 8 reps. This was less than a year ago.

His squat went from just a barbell to 260 for 10 reps. Two torn rotators (press from not being able to do the bar to 155 x10) , broken hip, stroke, etc.

Smart, hard work works well in my weight room. Everyone gets stronger.

Is FSL AMRAP or just any variation of FSL that works best?

I know the lingo changes meaning over time, so I want to verify.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
This is how many people train at my gym. ALL make ridiculous progress. Except we don’t do any assistance. Today, for example - double overhand deadlift - 330x10. The guy came to gym deadlifting 135 for a difficult 8 reps. This was less than a year ago.

His squat went from just a barbell to 260 for 10 reps. Two torn rotators (press from not being able to do the bar to 155 x10) , broken hip, stroke, etc.

[/quote]

Jim - when you say your guys “don’t do assistance” - do you mean you don’t do volume work (FSL or similar) or that you don’t do anything after the volume work? (I.e., dips, back raises, etc.)

[quote]FeelinMinnesota wrote:

[/quote]

Jim - when you say your guys “don’t do assistance” - do you mean you don’t do volume work (FSL or similar) or that you don’t do anything after the volume work? (I.e., dips, back raises, etc.)
[/quote]

We don’t do any assistance - we do supplemental work. I believe in a well rounded total program: so we do other more important things. It’s all personal preference but that’s what I believe and what I endorse.

We don’t do any assistance - we do supplemental work. I believe in a well rounded total program: so we do other more important things. It’s all personal preference but that’s what I believe and what I endorse.
[/quote]

OK, thanks Jim. I was just trying to make sure I was thinking about the difference between “supplemental” and “assistance” work correctly.

[quote]bartmann wrote:

I know the lingo changes meaning over time, so I want to verify.[/quote]

I was actually wondering the same thing. I’ve read something that FSL was now 5x5?

[quote]bartmann wrote:

I know the lingo changes meaning over time, so I want to verify.[/quote]
Bumping this up. I’m coming off of a 6 month layoff and will be starting a 2-day template when I’m back at the end of March due to a new work schedule.

Usually FSL is 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps (sometimes 3 reps on the deadlift and power clean). 5x5 is what most people around here seem to like best.

Guys who have experience training 2day/week like this:

Squat 5/3/1, Fsl 5x5
Bench 5/3/1, Fsl 5x5

Deadlift 5/3/1, Fsl 5x5
Press 5/3/1, Fsl 5x5

Just curious how long does your training sessions take?

Agile 8, Jumps/Throws included and upper body pulling supersetted with presses I assume?

In MN, summers are really busy and you want to find excuses to get outside. 2 days a week is really nice change of pace. I can get time on my bike a few times a week and run the sledding hill, which takes care of lower body volume. To get in a little extra upper body volume, I just do sets of pull-a-parts and push-ups throughout the day.

Also, when you only lift 2 days a week you really look forward to lifting.