4th Lift in Powerlifting

[quote]wesstangl wrote:
Why not make it 5 lifts ,combine the two sports.

[/quote]

That’d be interesting as hell… I doubt you’d see that happen though. As cool as it would be, the styles (of training and competing) are way too specific to each themselves to be combined.

For example you’d be doing 2x as much squatting, PL style and ass to grass OL style.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
wesstangl wrote:

That’d be interesting as hell… I doubt you’d see that happen though. As cool as it would be, the styles (of training and competing) are way too specific to each themselves to be combined.

For example you’d be doing 2x as much squatting, PL style and ass to grass OL style.

[/quote]
Maybe they could make it a two day event.
Would it be too much?

How about lifting a bodybuilder overhead.

Fourth PL event : The bikini contest.

On Sunday November 6th in Auburn, Massachusetts The Atlantis Foundation is contesting The Strongest Man in the US Contest. Only chalk, a belt and wrist wraps area allowed. They contest 5 events-Trap bar deadlift, bench press with a pause, push press, chin up with weight for a max and the Thomas Inch handle dumbell lift. I will be competing in this event and will be promoting a Southwest event in the Dallas area in June 2006. Drop me a line if interested. There will be a novice division as well as an open division. If you are in New England, come out and support this event.

Xen,

I think it is possible to train all 5 together. Olympic lifters typically also have big squats and deadlifts. They need more bench press training.

beef

[quote]wesstangl wrote:
Youch wrote:
Maybe slightly off topic but along the same lines.

I seem to recall reading that in the 70’s there was a challenge for weightlifters and powerlifters to compete in a 5 lift championship, the powerlifts and the olympic lifts. A powerlifter named John Cole had all 5 lifts authenticated and because he was a decent o lifter as well as being one of the best PL lifters of his day no one else bothered to enter; if nothing else it did silence Ken Patera for a while.

Maybe one of the other anoraks (I use the term affectionally) on this site might know more?

Regards Youch
Youch ,how long have you been lifting for?

[/quote]

Hi wesstangl
I started lifting in 1979 when I was 13, got serious about bodybuilding in the mid 80’s, drifted for 15 years (88-03), and now trying to improve my powerlifts.

Maybe as a one off every few years some millionaire could put up some good prize money and set up a contest based around the 5 lifts; or even bring back the old olympic clean and press so that the PL’ers don’t have a 3-2 advantage.

When I win the lottery I’ll put the money up!!

Youch

How about a vertical jump?

As soon as I saw the thread I thought “chin-up”. lol Seems I’m not the only one thinking this. Bravo Xen (And to think I’ll bew sooooooo proud to be able to do a few one arm chins at 145 lol. Well, Xen isn’t here, John Gill isn’t here, nobody I know is able to chin more than 75%bw-lighter guys, <40% heavier guys). btw, Xen, could you please tell me how you got to such chinning strength? please don’t say hard work and eating :))

[quote]Black Thorn wrote:
As soon as I saw the thread I thought “chin-up”. lol Seems I’m not the only one thinking this. Bravo Xen (And to think I’ll bew sooooooo proud to be able to do a few one arm chins at 145 lol. Well, Xen isn’t here, John Gill isn’t here, nobody I know is able to chin more than 75%bw-lighter guys, <40% heavier guys). btw, Xen, could you please tell me how you got to such chinning strength? please don’t say hard work and eating :))[/quote]

Why no hard work and eating? Sorry to inform you, but “hard work and eating” is the only way to accomplish anything in the gym. The fact that you don’t want to do this goes a long way towards explaining why you are 145 pounds and your biggest goal is a 1 arm chinup.

edit: Sorry, I didn’t mean that to sound so dickish. But hardwork gets you everywhere.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Xen,

I think it is possible to train all 5 together. Olympic lifters typically also have big squats and deadlifts. They need more bench press training.

beef
[/quote]

true after seeing those video’s also posted in the strength forum I’m trying to find a Olympic Lifting gym in southern cali I would most definitely start training there.

As far as chinup strength, its something I’ve always been good at… when I started deadlifting, doing rack pulls, bent rows, power cleans (basically other pulling movments)along with chinning with weight my chin strength kept climbing and climbing. What REALLY helped was doing weighted chins after wrestling practice. I wrote a couple posts on what I did (westside conjugate style) to specifically get my chin max up… so do a search and u can prob find them.

It’s my ONLY impressive lift :-p.

When I can squat and snatch a lot more then i’ll finally have something to write home about.

Off to find a gym w/ bumper plates,

Xen

oh and hardwork and lots of good eating.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=685222

actually there is the link for you… good luck.

What about a bench pull (or bench row, as it is also called)? Make it so that the bench is a standard thickness and the bar has to touch it.

The only problem might be that guys with big bellies/chests and short arms would probably have an advantage; but isn’t this already the case in the bench?

I wouldn’t add anything. If you want to add a lift, add the overhead press back into powerlifting.

Powerlifting is the squat, bench, and deadlift. If you wantr to strongman, do strongman. If you want to olympic lift, do olypic lifts, and so on.

Assuming that it is appropriate to add anything to the sport, the weighted chin-up would be interesting.

It might not hurt the big guys quite as much as one might think it would. It takes a certain amount of weight to pull big weight. A lot of the most impressive records for max weighted chins by added weight were pulled by olympic weightlifters for s**ts and giggles.

I have 3 ideas…

a relative strength bodyweight challenge - maybe pistols, chins???

A grip challenge - like the hercules hold in strongman or a farmers carry. Maybe something simple like a rolling thunder lift?

The stones!!..real men lift odd objects.

If you’re going to add a powerlifting move, it shouldn’t be anything that’s already in another competition, meaning that there shouldn’t be any Olympic or strongman lifts.

We’re talking about a 4th powerliting lift. Combining the different sports would be like shot-putters competing in cross-country races.

[quote]TestosterTon wrote:
Resurrect the Olympic Press and make sure to add in the proper rules so that no one decides to make the Olympic Press look like a standing Bench Press.

Also, the Power Clean. Or Power Clean and Push Press.

-ton[/quote]

honestly, if someone has the brute strength, balance, flexibility and the BALLS to lean halfway over with 400 over his head, I say go ahead and let him.

Any lift can be explosive - even isometrics. Explosive strength refers to how quickly you develop force; no movement has to even occur.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I would like to see something EXPLOSIVE and total body. (not that deadlift and squat aren’t).
[/quote]