495lb Squat.... Almost

I didn’t have enough in my tank to hit this one yesterday to parallel. I worked up with 5x5’s and felt like trying it. Good day overall despite.

I am getting my Titan Centurion suit soon, it is getting taken in since I went from 205lb’s to 194lb’s.

Uh…what were you trying to accomplish here?

I see from your profile that you have been training for one year so that explains some of it. It’s a good thing you had your knees wrapped. You keep it up and your knees are eventually going to blow out. Look at the travel of your knees as you tried to go down with this extremely heavy weight that you could not handle.

Your profile said that you “checked your ego at the door”. Is that right? What was going on with this risk taking lift? Did you just want to see yourself in the mirror with 5 wheels on each side? You better wise up and fast or you won’t be lifting long because you are going to get hurt.

Look, I’m not trying to be mean here. Somebody has to say it so it might as well be me. If it will save you from possibly hurting yourself badly then that is my goal with these comments. There are a lot of experienced lifters on this site and when you post a video like this you are going to get laughed at.

Just train smart, forget the circus lifts and think long term about being in the game since that is another one of your goals you listed on your profile.

Let the flaming begin. It had to be said.

I am not going to flame at you. I respect critiques, especially in this areana. I tried the lift to see if I could get it…simple as that, not for oooh and aaah factor. I don’t care if people laugh on the internet. I workout for me, and to challenge myself.

Of course I don’t want to get hurt either. Saying that I would welcome advice on stances. I get under the bar and place my feet a little more than shoulder width apart because it just feels natural and comfortable to me.

You mention the travel of my knees? How would you say I should position my knees? I point my toes slightly outward and try to keep from rounding.

Not bad. I don’t completely agree with Raw Power, but if we all agreed, this would be a boring site.

Yeah, your knees drifted forward a little so watch that. I don’t think it was that bad, but it looked like you would have been in a pretty bad position if you went down much further.

Personally, I’m all for heavy, high squats. I think the squat is a very mental movement and, by going heavier than your 1RM, you get to feel the weight and build confidence holding that weight on your back.

You really don’t look like you are that far off from making the lift.

I’d work with box squats for a while. It’ll help you nail the form down.

I think I agree more with raw power. Your knees went pretty far over your toes. If they went that far on a full squat it wouldn’t be bad, but on quarter squat for your knees to go that far is pretty bad.

This max you attempted did you mean that you trained using a 5x5 or that day did a 5x5 then maxed out? You really shouldn’t MAX out after a heavy workout of 5x5’s. If you are going to do that then at least widen your stance for the max lift.

One also has to question whats the point of the video? A video of a full squat would have definitely been more usefull then that? Even for congratulatory purposes.

agree with concerns about your form, just a hint of instability in there, but you had a lot of strength to get the weight back up so well done there. How about a perfect form 5 rep set with a good working weight for you, it would put any form critiques at rest.

I hope it’s not bad form for me to jump into this thread and ask a squatting question that is related to me.

My son and I are about to finish an 8 week program. According to the one rep calculator we are both ready for a one rep max of around 410. (290x13)

Are there any special precautions that we should take? Neither one of us is an expert lifter.

[quote]Jetboy1 wrote:
I hope it’s not bad form for me to jump into this thread and ask a squatting question that is related to me.

My son and I are about to finish an 8 week program. According to the one rep calculator we are both ready for a one rep max of around 410. (290x13)

Are there any special precautions that we should take? Neither one of us is an expert lifter.[/quote]

Have either of you ever attempted a max squat before? Have either of you ever had anywhere near 400 pounds on your back?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Jetboy1 wrote:

Are there any special precautions that we should take? Neither one of us is an expert lifter.

Have either of you ever attempted a max squat before? Have either of you ever had anywhere near 400 pounds on your back?[/quote]

330 is tops so far.

[quote]Jetboy1 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Jetboy1 wrote:

Have either of you ever attempted a max squat before? Have either of you ever had anywhere near 400 pounds on your back?

330 is tops so far.

[/quote]

I would suggest doing some heavier singles and doubles before you jump right into trying 410. Those “rep calculators” vary from person to person and can sometimes be off by quite a bit.

Work your way up and get used to supporting heavier weights. Next squat session you could try and work up to 350 or 360 and just do 3-5 singles. See how that feels. It may expose some weaknesses you didn’t and couldn’t notice with the lighter weights.

Thanks for the advice from you all. I did this after doing 5 sets of 5 reps. Also, in hindsight, yeah a video of an accomplished lift would of been more suited. I still am not embarrassed by it, but it does merit the question of putting up a lift that wasn’t completed.

Soon I will put up the video of me doing it correctly.

Lift hard Lift safe.

Both Natural and Jet (and his son) might want to work with band-assisted heavy lifts as well. I find it very helpful to get used to having what might be an intimidating amount of weight on my shoulders.

And I agree with Malone that trying a 70# PR is a bit ambitious – get used to the heavier weight and ensure form before risking getting crushed or stapled.

Just a couple of thoughts.