485 Double By 150 Lb. Oly Lifter

HAHA I also find it funny that he took a statement that eveyone else figured out was a joke and used it as an excuse to attack powerlifters…as if that’s supposed to mean something to me? I don’t even powerlift. haha, good for a larf tho, as Mr. Burns would say.

[quote]Geoff Neupert wrote:
Perhaps Olympic lifters could lift more weight if they wore groove briefs, a triple ply denim/nylon/whatever suit, 5 feet of knee wrap on each knee, and a belt 5 inches wide and a 1/2 inch thick…OH YEAH–THEY COULDN’T! CAUSE YOU GOT TO BE ABLE TO BEND DOWN TO REACH THE FRIGGIN’ BAR![/quote]

More like, they wouldn’t be able to get back down to get under the bar and catch it.

One of the things that makes olympic lifting so interesting is that it requires the rapid change of direction to get under the bar after you pull it. Whether the gear were legal or not, how would you devise a suit that would help a lifter pull more weight off the floor but not ruin his ability to reverse direction and get under it?

Nick

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
jesus christ. awesome lift, but his legs are everywhere when he squats, imagine how much more he’d lift if he fixed that. and his back is freaking stacked.[/quote]

When you squat down your knees should go out to the side so as to bring the hips and glutes into play instead of the quads. But as for his knees travelling inwards when he comes back up…that’s dangerous and he should prolly fix that.

Also, to the idiots at the other thread who said cleans can not build mass, please look at that 150lb guy’s traps.

It’s an OK squat, but if you want a real kick-ass lift, remember Angel Guenchev did a clean & jerk of 202.5 kgs. weighing 67.5 kgs. at the '88 Olympics. That, my friends, was the all-time heaviest guy who lifted triple bodyweight overhead.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Yea, and remember, the O-lifts rely on momentum. [/quote]

I got the joke. Other “oh-that’s-no-big-deal” cliches applied to the O lifts include:

“They don’t pull the bar that high; they just drop under and catch it.”

My favorite:
“It’s all just technique.”

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1110522611646.1zhang-69.jpg

Same guy

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
HAHA I also find it funny that he took a statement that eveyone else figured out was a joke and used it as an excuse to attack powerlifters…as if that’s supposed to mean something to me? I don’t even powerlift. haha, good for a larf tho, as Mr. Burns would say.[/quote]

Il Cazzo-

Unlike MiketheBear, your subtle humor was obviously lost on me. I wasn’t attacking powerlifters, just using my subtle humor (sarcasm) to point out the [obvious] differences between OLs and PLs.

Admittedly, I am wound a little too tight–thank God I’m going on vacation tomorrow!

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Also, to the idiots at the other thread who said cleans can not build mass, please look at that 150lb guy’s traps.[/quote]

Some of those claims on the other thread were stunning in their ignorance.

Exceptional trap development is one of the signatures of o-lifters (the others being lower back and quad/glute/ham development). You can identify an experienced o-lifter by his traps. If snatches, cleans, and their pull variants do anything for upper body mass, it is for the trapezius.

For anyone unfamiliar with the color coded plates, the above photo has him squat jerking 195kg (about 430lbs) I wonder how many people on this board could even olympic style squat that? Crazy stuff.

perhaps someone could explain to me how this is possible(as I only have minimal knowledge of Olympic lifting protocols). I mean, what is a normal training week look like? Is it a combination of years and years of training and doing nothing else or what? Enlighten me. I can’t believe the strength ability. Are they freaks of nature or is all down to methods? Like that famous photo of a Cuban deep squatting something ridiculous or many Kono pics. Amazing athletes that don’t get enough props.

Turn the clock back to 1993, at the World Weightlifting Championships (Melbourne, Australia), and Bulgaria’s 91-kg Ivan Chakarov, a couple of days from competing, finished his workout with a 270-kg triple in the back squat - besides squatting high-bar, close-stance and rock bottom, it was even more impressive because Chakarov squatted without a belt, wraps or spotters. The no belt-wraps-spotters caused us to label it a No-No-No squat, and between Chakarov himself, the No-No-No name, the photo, and the video, the lifting world was changed forevermore.

anybody know where we can find a video clip of this squat?

Brad,

Most OLers train two or more times a day, many days a week. Some OLers practice only the lifts and the back squat; most also practice segments of the pulls in isolation - front squats and overhead squats for the recovery from the clean and snatch, split jerks, push-presses and push-jerks from the rack (skipping the clean), snatch and clean pulls, power cleans and power snatches.
    Check out Arthur Drechsler's 'Weightlifting Encylopedia' for more info on OL training. The sport - and the training for it - is a blast.

Here’s an interesting thought. If one looks at Russian and Eastern European block powerlifting routines, one sees the influence of Olympic style weightlifting training. The Russian powerlifting routines involve lots of squatting, benching, and deadlifting and their variants. These guys squat all the time. They train 6 days per week, squatting 10 times or so.

If one looks at the U.S. powerlifting routines, you see more bodybuilding influence; i.e. infrequent training (benching once per week, etc.)

This squat is on the Ironmind tape for that years championships. They also sell a photo of the squat.

If you want to check out an american OL site go to gaylehatch.com. Coach Hatch was the US Coach in the last Olympics last Summer. He was also mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago here.

Ross,

Thanks for the info. I knew what exercises they did but I didn’t realize how frequently they trained. I guess they are either people who don’t react to overtraining or because thats all they do(life devoted to lifting) they can get away with it? My olympic style squat is stuck right now and I thought I was overtraining doing it 3x a week. hahahaa. In any case, its too bad the majority of the population doesn’t understand what level of strength we are talking about here. Ever have a ‘regular’ person who doesn’t lift tell you that you are strong? I always say ‘no, you don’t understand what strong really is’. And I always say look at Olympic lifters, powerlifters, gynmasts and strongmen. Cool clip anyway, its inspiring. I’m just a little martial arts guy. Reminds of me of Sumo though. Lots of people think they are just a bunch of fat guys. They realize how powerful and flexible they really are.

You also have to realize, they DON’T train to failure. Many times their training percentages are low enough so they don’t overtrain.

very intresting thread and discussion. that dude is strong and while i can lift more than him @ 285 even with out a belt and wraps i woould easily admit he is much more athletic with more power and strength than i have. and i know i couldn’t do a 430 overhead squat. thats for sure.

i have gained more intrest and respect for ol lifters since the recent olympics and the posts here on the T.

you have me wanting to find a ol club in the ft.worth dallas area and start training with them, just so i can gain some more overall strength. and get into better shape.

one question wow do you think that superheavy weight stud from iran (i don’t know his name but the ol lifters will know he is like the jordan of their sport) any way how would he do in a world strongest man comp. would he just blow them away?

just wondering becasue even though i am a powerlifter and have a great respect for powerlifting, i truley believe from watching the last olympics and reading my faithfull milo that he is THE WORLDS STRONGEST MAN.

when he draws his knees in during the squat, that is not a technical breakdown that he needs to work on. that is actually a very specific technique that he and a lot of other olympic lifters use, to generate more power through the lift.
ton’s of olympic lifters do it, and rarely, if ever wind up with knee problems as a result.
olympic lifters have exceptional hip and knee mobility, while exhibiting incredible core stability (they both go hand in hand). this is due to both genetics as well as decades of “under the bar” experience. simply put, most people could train like this guy and still never develop that type of mobility/stability. it is how his joints are shaped along with his training program. nature and nuture if you will.