T Nation

470lb DL But WEAK Squat

I post this out of utter frustration. My upper body is huge compared to my legs…well maby not in size just strength. Last time I measure my legs were about 26 inches around.

Bench 350 1RM
Shoulder press 205 for 7 reps 95’db for 8
Doumbbell rows 115
DL 470 this morning for 1 rep, 405 for 5 reps
Weight 196

Anyway I have been trying to get a good squat for a while now I have tried almost everything, 20 rep squats, High volume, ATG, Going really heavy. Still I can BARLEY do 405 for like 3 reps and that kills. My usual work sets are around 335-355 for 6-7 low ( bellow parallel or parallel)and that is STILL VERY HARD not ATG reps. I’ve did the 20 reps to ATG.

I know that my abs are lacking seeing as I rarely do direct work for them. Could that be it?

I am 5’8-5’7 ish so its not like I am not built to squat. My legs have good size just no squat strength. 16 plates on leg press for 6 reps though.

Maby mobility work? I am thinking that I have bad mobility on hips?

Any help or suggestion would help.

You almost squat as much as you dl, thats not good enough?

Squat and deadlift being equal is pretty common for raw lifters with normal body types imo.

Yeah, that’s actually pretty close. My best deadlift is 405, but my squat is 300. I’d be more concerned with your row numbers, unless you’re doing 115 for about 30 reps. I row the 110s and my bench is only around 225.

if you can, post some video of squats,…there may be a small form issue or something of that nature that we cant tell from here

Not a crazy difference IMO.

Ok I will try and get a vid up here but I mean If I can rep 405 in deads fairly easy why is squatting 335 hard for me. I mean it takes 110% for me to do around 6 reps of 335, nearly kills me to do 405 and the form is not good at all.

Well I mean I row 115db after 3 drops sets of lat pulls downs. 240,200,180. And 3 drops sets of cable rows 230,200,180 the form on these aren’t perfect but pretty good.

As far as the 115db rows go I use PERFECT form and each rep is “stretched” at the bottom portion of the rep. IMO I thought that was really good, seeing as everyone say I have a killer back. I am bodybuilder at heart, just incorporate some power lifting techniques for mass gain.

Ryan how much BB row? I just started to do these so I am not proficient at it I can do 205 for about 6 but toward the end form laggs. How much you do for lat pull downs? How much for T-bar rows?

different combination of muscles?

Try front squatting and leg extensions as accessory exercises

It’s not proportionately weak. If you’re benching 350 competition style that’s proportionately MUCH stronger than a 470 pull or low 400’s squat. Even touch and go I’d say it’s much stronger.

Unless you are extremely thick, that’s just how it’s going to be. Almost everybody can pull a lot more than they can squat. Nothing wrong with that.

[quote]jpuck wrote:
Squat and deadlift being equal is pretty common for raw lifters with normal body types imo.[/quote]

It is?

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
I post this out of utter frustration. My upper body is huge compared to my legs…well maby not in size just strength. Last time I measure my legs were about 26 inches around.

Bench 350 1RM
Shoulder press 205 for 7 reps 95’db for 8
Doumbbell rows 115
DL 470 this morning for 1 rep, 405 for 5 reps
Weight 196

Anyway I have been trying to get a good squat for a while now I have tried almost everything, 20 rep squats, High volume, ATG, Going really heavy. Still I can BARLEY do 405 for like 3 reps and that kills. My usual work sets are around 335-355 for 6-7 low ( bellow parallel or parallel)and that is STILL VERY HARD not ATG reps. I’ve did the 20 reps to ATG.

I know that my abs are lacking seeing as I rarely do direct work for them. Could that be it?

I am 5’8-5’7 ish so its not like I am not built to squat. My legs have good size just no squat strength. 16 plates on leg press for 6 reps though.

Maby mobility work? I am thinking that I have bad mobility on hips?

Any help or suggestion would help.

[/quote]

Your squat is about where it should be for a dead of 470.

And btw 16 plates on leg press doesn’t mean a whole lot. My buddy is a natty 6 foot 200 pounds and thats what he works out with for 8 reps.

My suggestion is hamstring training my squat SHOT up about 50 pounds in 2 weeks just from adding in serious hamstring work.

What part of the movement gives you the most trouble?

I would say that your squat is around where it should be. Heck, my squat is over 100lbs lower than my dl. Just means your better at pulling thats all.

another idea…
switch in some static ab and back work for all of these rows and other dynamic exercises…for example…overloads on squat, standing good mornings and rdl’s (keep back tight as if squatting or pulling), planks, kneeling on a swiss ball, scapular retractions (lateral and overhead), and isodynamic rows…

these will all help your static strength in your back and abs, which is what you need to squat and pull
and when you do rowing movements, dont do any on a bench or machine…standing barbell bent over rows, pullups, and go on ironscene.com and look up andrey belyaev

I dont use a bench when I do DB rows. I use pullups/chipups with weighted belts, and I just added bent over BB rows a few months back.

It just bothers me that when I squat it feels like my gluets are taking the majority of the weight and not my quads, even with a closer stance.

The most trouble I have is on the going down part of the squat, basically making my QUADS take the load than anything else.

To correct this I started squatting with no shoes to push from the heel of my feet. I feel as though I am pushing my butt out too early when going down.

No matter what I do I cant make this feel like a NATURAL movement for me, like benching or pulling. I cant “feel” my quads being used when I squat. I keep my back straight. Could it be a mobability issue?

I feel as though I should go lower before forcing my gluets out. Also I cant keep my feet pointed straight out then point out to the side a little bit.

O ya I dont train caves at all…if that makes a diff? At this point I am willing to do anything go get 3/4/5…comfortably I can do 405 but NOT comfortably

West:

I think I have good hamstrings.

I mean I can rep 315 on stiff deads. I can Max the Leg curl.

However my good mornings are kinda week, I guess because I just started doing then like 3 months ago ~ 120Lb’s.

get good at front squats and your all set, seriously, although your squat isn’t low compared to your deadlift really

I don’t do barbell rows or pulldowns. But like I said I get the 110s for about 8 and my best chinup is bodyweight +90 for a single.