46 Yr Old Gettin' Back in the Game

Legs / Shoulders / Biceps - 9/25/12

Felt pretty good again today. Recognizing the importance of timing. Last Thursday when I tried to do this workout, I was crushed and didn’t have enough steam to finish biceps. Hit bi’s pretty good today - but do still need to get some dumbells. Did plate curls - painfully slow to get a good pump.

Squats / Military Press (supersets)
Squats: 110x12 / 150x12 / 190x8
Military Press: 50x12 / 70x12 / 90x12

Calf Raises / Front Delt Lifts (supersets)
Calf Raises: 100x12 / 120x12 / 140x12
Front Delt Raises: 10x12 /10x12 / 10x12

Standing Curls:
35x12 / 45x10 / 55x4 / 35x11

Finished with 60 crunches

Couple of personal bests: Squats (190), Military Presses (90), Calf Raises (140)…

Feeling pretty good - just need to keep it up and get rid of some of this fat around my gut!!!
Also learning the importance a pre-workout snack (typically a protein bar 45 minutes - 1 hour before working out)
Thinking about starting to use some creatine…

Mr.Jone’s all the fancy-shit means nothing.How many powerlifter’s do you see do’in nonsense.Train the wat the muscle is designed.All the Rookie’s copy thing’s in the magazines,that why you get Hurt.Piece-out

Man, I think I did every workout that came out in M and F and Flex magazines when I was young. It took me 25 years to realize I was getting nowhere with the (insert name of current top bodybuilder) Monster Chest Routine.

[quote]goose64 wrote:
Man, I think I did every workout that came out in M and F and Flex magazines when I was young. It took me 25 years to realize I was getting nowhere with the (insert name of current top bodybuilder) Monster Chest Routine.[/quote]

Goose - I know what you mean. It has taken me a long time to find things work for me. I’ve tried a lot of other workouts in the past, and I keep coming back to what works. Instead of changing routine, I’m learning to tweak and make minor adjustments. Like Dad said…If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!!

Had another good one today. I think I’m finally starting to hit some plateaus - which I guess is a good thing. Hitting more and more sets where I’m not getting 12 reps after an increase.

Today was chest / back / tri’s…

Flat Bench / Wide Grip (Supersets)
Flat Bench: 100x12 / 120x12 / 140x8
Wide Grip: 85x12 / 105x12 / 125x6

Incline Bench / Seated Rows (Supersets)
Incline: 70x12 / 90x12 / 110x6
Seated Rows: 60x12 / 80x12 / 100x4

Close Grip Bench
45x12 / 65x10 / 75x8

Tricep Pushdowns
40x12 / 50x11 / 60x4 / 40x12

Finished with crunches…

Keep up the good work

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Keep up the good work[/quote]

D-man: Thanks!! The encouragement helps more than you know!!

[quote]e.jones wrote:

Overall goals:

• Get back in the game
  • Look better without a shirt
  • Lose some fat
  • Regain some muscle
    → Biggest Goal Right Now: Maintain consistency…

Comments?[/quote]

How much fat do you need/want to lose? I see from your log you are squatting, etc., which is good, because big compound movements are what you want, but fat loss won’t happen without adjustments to your diet. Keep hitting the big lifts hard, and also maybe look into Carb Night Solution by John Kiefer. I’ve had good luck with CNS, but there are lots of other strategies that work as well. Anyway, lift hard, and keep after it,

Jack

e.Jones - I remember what Dan Johns said about workout programs - Everything works; and everything works for about 6 weeks. You will undoubtedly hit plateaus, so that is why I learned to make small increases in weight each session, we’re talking as little as one pound per week if it comes to that in order to grind out the progression.

They make small discs of one half pounds but they are hard to find. Fortunatley my gym in Sweden does carry them as there are some serious powerlifters and O-lifters who train here. In my last gym I used those small spring type collars that weigh a half pound each, and I would load up to 3 at a time on the bar to get my weekly progression.

The guys in the gym thought I was some sort of wierdo, but I didnt care. I earned that stripe. I picked up the 1 pound progression idea from the training philosophies of Stuart McRobert, if you google him you can read more about him, he tells it better than I can (although some regard him as a crank and phony). I guess as long as you are getting your progression, whether it is an increase in weight, an added rep, or another set per exercise you are exposing the muscle to increased intensity.

I laud your superset idea. Wish I could, but when you train in a public gym someone will undoubtedly snatch up your equipment as you move to the next exercise…

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]e.jones wrote:

Overall goals:

• Get back in the game
  • Look better without a shirt
  • Lose some fat
  • Regain some muscle
    → Biggest Goal Right Now: Maintain consistency…

Comments?[/quote]

How much fat do you need/want to lose? I see from your log you are squatting, etc., which is good, because big compound movements are what you want, but fat loss won’t happen without adjustments to your diet. Keep hitting the big lifts hard, and also maybe look into Carb Night Solution by John Kiefer. I’ve had good luck with CNS, but there are lots of other strategies that work as well. Anyway, lift hard, and keep after it,

Jack[/quote]

Jack - Thanks for the tip. I’ve gotten my routine going again, and have taken the first step of some basic protein supplementation (i.e. ensuring a protein bar with 20-30 grams of protein before each workout, and typically a protein shake right after each workout) - but really do need to start looking at carb intake and other supplements. That’s probably the right first step. My bodyfat is not where I’d like it to be (too ashamed to measure right now). Will look into CNS…thanks for the tip…

Hey, it’s the 3rd, where’s your post? Giving ya a hard time! Keep at it.

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:
Hey, it’s the 3rd, where’s your post? Giving ya a hard time! Keep at it.[/quote]

Hey Strangemeadow - your post was just what I needed!!
I’ve been keeping at it - but haven’t posted…Not getting 4 workouts in a week - but getting a consistent 3 a week.
Thinking about changing my routine a little because I really need to get more cardio in to burn up some of this fat…

So…

Legs / Shoulders / Biceps (10/1/12)

Superset 1:
Squats: 110x12 / 160x12 / 200x8
Military Press: 60x12 / 80x12 / 100x5

Superset 2:
Calf Raises 100x12 / 140x12 / 160x10
Front delt lifts: 10#x13 / 13#x10 / 16#x7 (finally got a small set of dumbbells)

Standing curls
40x12 / 50x6 / 40x10 / 30x12

Skipped dumbell curls today - arms were fatigued - no excuses - just wimped out

Chest / Back / Triceps (10/3/12)

Superset 1:
Flat bench: 100x12 / 120x10 / 140x10
Wide grip lats: 85x12 / 105x10 / 125x7

Superset 2:
Incline Bench: 70x12 / 90x12 / 110x6
Seated Rows: 60x12 / 80x10 / 100x8

Close Grip Bench
45x12 / 65x7 / 55x5

Pushdowns
35x12 / 45x10 / 55x8 / 35x12

Doing pretty well on bench movements, and military presses. Happy to hit 200# on squats!! (while maintaining form). Think my rest (or lack of) was a factor this week. When I fatigued on a set, it was a flat out failure - and in some cases, I didn’t have the umph to press through with another lighter set. Still keeping good form - and damned if I ain’t tired after finishing!!

Strangemeadow - thanks for the nudge. You kept me going!! Wasn’t going to post last two workouts - but you kept me on the up and up…

Happy to help! Us old dudes need to support each other :slight_smile:
That’s the thing her on TNation, there are a bunch of super cool and knowledgeable guys here, you just have to wade through some douchebaggery…but I guess it’s like that in most everything.
As a cardio suggestion, try some interval based stuff along side steady state.
Keep hitting it!

10-4!..well said.

Back from a break…

Came down with a bad virus that I couldn’t shake. Head and chest congestion literally took me weeks to get rid of it. A little frustrated because I’ve lost some momentum and had to drop poundages, but I got 2 in this week:

Squats / Military Press Superset:
Squats 90 x 12 / 110 x 8 / 50 x10 (Amazed at how much I lost on these. Had to drop last set down to 50# - started feeling weird twinges)
Military Presses: 30 x 12 / 40 x 12 / 50 x 12 (dropped my weight by 20 pounds or so, but still felt good)

Calf Raises / Front Delt Lifts
Calf Raises: 50 x 12 / 70 x 12 / 90 x 10
Front Delt Lifts: 10 x 12 / 10 x 10 / 10 x 10
Standing EZ Curls: 30 x 12 / 35 x 8 / 40 x 8

Feel like I lost a lot of ground, but I got it in…

Meant to post this here first - made a mistake and started a new thread (Rookie Mistake)

Got upper body in today:

Flat Bench / Wide Grip (Superset):
Flat Bench: 70 x 12 / 90 x 10 / 110 x 8 (much harder than it used to be)
Wide Grip: 50 x 12 / 70 x 10 / 90 x 8

Incline Bench / Seated Rows (Superset):
Incline Bench: 50 x 12 / 70 x 10 / 90 x8
Seated Rows: 40 x 12 / 60 x 10 / 80 x 8

Close Grip Bench: 30 x 12 / 40 x 10 / 50 x 8

Time to start the climb all over again :slight_smile:

Not to worry, just keep hitting it!

Got through another one today:

Squats / Military Press (Superset)
Squats: 90 x 10 / 110 x 12 / 130 x 10 (feeling better on squats)
Military Presses: 30 x 12 / 40 x 12 / 50 x 12

Calf Raises / Front Delt Lifts (Superset)
Calf Raises: 50 x12 / 70 x 12 / 90 x 12
Front Delt Lifts: 10 x 12 / 10 x 12 / 10 x 12 (time to change this movement or add more weight)

Standing EZ Curls
30 x 12 / 40 x 10 / 50 x 5(failed)

Finished with 60 crunches