46 Going on 70... Not Really

Ok so I’m 46 took to working out free weights in my garage oh, about two years ago, love it, it actually helped me to quit smoking, if you can believe that. So I’ve made some gains but a major problem I’m having right now is my back, lower back stiffness and slight pain on a regular basis. This affects greatly my ability to do squats, and because I rely mostly on compound excersises this kinda pisses me off a bit.

I can squat 205 for eight, box squat at parallel bit I feel the tension in my back and it’s not a good feeling I also believ this affects the way in which I do do squats, I seem to want to lean a bit forward instead of straight down, this is why I choose box squats, just having that stop seems to help with form but still the stiffness persists and it seems as though my back is doing something it really shouldn’t… Any advice on this at all would be much apreciated greatly… Sgould I continue squats, lay off em and try something different??? I don’t know… HEEELLPPP !!! Thanks

What is your current program?

Any major injuries, surgeries

Also try front squats, zercher squats, Bulgarian split squats

Program varies, but for the most part I stick to compounds because of Time Restraints… And I do a short routine that started with a 5x5 but my reps and sets vary. Right now my program starts with 6 min. cardio (treadmill) then , Day 1 Squats, bench, bar-row… day rest… Squat, clean an press, Dead lift… At the end of each W/o I throw in either preach curls, bar curls and / or sitting tricep extensions, tricep press downs, with 5-6 min. on a heavybag.

Not a very long w/o but I do as many sets for a thirty rep max for each… 5x6-6x5-8x3+whatever to make thirty… ect.ect… I’d like to add that deadlifts seem not to bother, and I go heavier on them.The only time I really feel it in my back is on the first lift. And as far as injuries, just hard labor for the past 30 years, mostly heavy lifting (THE WRONG WAY!!) , construction, I think the usual back deterioration for an old fella. I do use a belt and that helps a lot.

Yesterday though I lightened up to 170 on squat from 205 and performed with much better form, so question am I increasing my weight to much to soon??? This was just another thought that occured to me…

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Also try front squats, zercher squats, Bulgarian split squats[/quote]
Front squats I know but the rest is Greek to me… I’ll look em up. And maybe try. I do however have to work on balance. Have tied front squat with a very light bar and damn near fell face first… LOL!!! It’s just kinda awkward at first. Maybe I’ll try to incorporate into w/o… Thanks

[quote]Aenead wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Front squats I know but the rest is Greek to me… I’ll look em up. And maybe try. I do however have to work on balance. Have tied front squat with a very light bar and damn near fell face first… LOL!!! It’s just kinda awkward at first. Maybe I’ll try to incorporate into w/o… Thanks[/quote]

If you are having that problem with front squats, then you need to slow down on the back squats till you hurt your back.

Look up Goblet Squats also. Start slow and really work on form for Front squats for a while, then go back to back squats.

If you dont have a foam roller then you HAVE to get one. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=4649

Check out the mobility thread at top of over 35 that I linked. Us older gents HAVE to work on mobility, for health and longevity of lifting it is a must.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Aenead wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Front squats I know but the rest is Greek to me… I’ll look em up. And maybe try. I do however have to work on balance. Have tied front squat with a very light bar and damn near fell face first… LOL!!! It’s just kinda awkward at first. Maybe I’ll try to incorporate into w/o… Thanks[/quote]

If you are having that problem with front squats, then you need to slow down on the back squats till you hurt your back.

Look up Goblet Squats also. Start slow and really work on form for Front squats for a while, then go back to back squats.

If you dont have a foam roller then you HAVE to get one. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=4649

Check out the mobility thread at top of over 35 that I linked. Us older gents HAVE to work on mobility, for health and longevity of lifting it is a must. [/quote]
THANKS… What Im getting from this is that more flexability is better… Maybe some more stretching, and I like the mobilty videos… Very good info.

Yes sir the older we get more time we need recovering and mobility work, to stay strong, long and pain free.