T Nation

45 lbs Iron Plate For 1 Inch Bar?

For the G1 (1 inch diameter) (non-olympic) iron plate is there a 45 lbs version? or the max is 25 lbs? Thanks

I haven't seen 45's but if there's an Academy Sports store in your area they usually carry 50 lb 1" plates.

I use 1" bars at home and have 6 50# plates. I've got them from Academy and from the Internet.

^^^ Sometimes I worry about the 1" bar breaking. Silly, I know. Can you use that 300 lbs of weight on the 1" bar with no problems?

I've had 25kg (55lb), 15kg (33lb), and 50lb standard plates. I've put around 400lbs on my 7' standard bar without (permanently) bending it , but I didn't really trust it. A real 1" bar (not the simple 6' chunk of plain grey round mild steel that comes with the cheapest sets) probably has a rating of 500lbs static load, so factor in acceleration/deceleration forces and even 300lbs is probably exceeding that. If the bar doesn't have fixed inner collars you can move the plates in as far as your grip allows to reduce the stress on the bar.

Or you can do what I just did, upgrade to an Olympic set instead of putting more money into standard plates. It doesn't take many 50lb standard plates to add up to the cost of a cheap Oly set, and you can always replace the cheapo bar with a better one in the future.

York used to make 1" 75 and 100 lbs plates. Play it Again Sports sometimes has them in the back with used weights. When you can regularly use over 350 lbs in your lifts, you can worry about the strength of 1" bars. Until then just relax and pump the iron.

I agree with Albertabeef - I would worry that the bar would break with even a moderately heavy load on it.

Can you not sell your existing and upgrade? I wonder if even the Wal-Mart or Sears bar's are likely a better option than trying to further load-up a standard bar?

WiZ

They have 50's and I've even seen 100's, but those look like friggin tires.

I agree with the guy who talked about upgrading to an Oly bar. Even a walmart bar and try to find some used plates.

But, then again, weights are weights. Use the standard stuff until you get some loot for better stuff...you'll make a ton of progress anyway.

Hey, I started off with plastic coated cement plates, sand filled plates, and a wooden dowel.

I've been in the same boat.

With 308lb on it my old 1" bar sagged significantly and I vizualised a horrible twisted metal death (for the bar and myself).

I ended up upgrading my bar to a 1.25" bar (which is 1.25" in the middle and 1" for 18" on each side).

This meant I didn't have to buy new plates but I could load up to 308lb and some way beyond with relatively little sagging.

I've been in the same boat.

With 308lb on it my old 1" bar sagged significantly and I vizualised a horrible twisted metal death (for the bar and myself).

I ended up upgrading my bar to a 1.25" bar (which is 1.25" in the middle and 1" for 18" on each side).

This meant I didn't have to buy new plates but I could load up to 308lb and some way beyond with relatively little sagging.