.44 Magnum

I sometimes feel like Brandon is talking to me…even when he’s pissed.

Couldn’t watch the whole video because I think it’s just common sense but I may be wrong and common sense may not be common. He’s right on.
Do you use a super wide sumo stance or is it more like Coan’s sumo? I’ve been modeling Coan’s stance, which isn’t too wide and had some success.

Day 1

Squat 280 5 sets of 5
Bench 200 6 sets of 6
SLDL 225 6 sets of 6
Abs

GV, I’m feeling most comfortable with shins on the rings. No super wide but also not close as coan.

Day 1? Did you switch up programs?

james

James,

Decided to do the periodized training that’s worked for me up to now. I’m going to incorporate block pulls and front squats in during the volume phase because they’ve helped my training PR’s go up. It’s boring but I always peak right when I need to.

Yesterday:
core work
2 mile run
Chins 8 sets of 10

Today:

• Injury prevention work
  • Squats 280 6 sets of 5
  • bench 205 8 sets of 6
  • deadlift alternating sumo and conv 8 sets of triples with 340
  • ab work

[quote]HARA wrote:
James,

Decided to do the periodized training that’s worked for me up to now. I’m going to incorporate block pulls and front squats in during the volume phase because they’ve helped my training PR’s go up. It’s boring but I always peak right when I need to.[/quote]

May I ask which routine are you doing? Or see a week snapshot of it? I am always curious and really like to look at periodized routines.

Rick

Rick,
This routine is probably closest in structure to korte 3x3 but with a few modifications that have worked for me.

All rep and set ranges are based on prilepin’s weightlifting chart.
I start with high volume (58-66%) for the first 4 weeks then go into a 2-3 week 70-75% bloc then a 4 week peaking month from 80-95%

There are a few principles I follow.
3 days of lifting per week with an emphasis on just 3 movements. A squat or squat variation. A bench or bench variation and a deadlift or deadlift variation. This is very similar to how most weightlifters outside the states train.

On off days I do bodyweight work and light conditioning to keep me loose and healthy.

If I still have gas in the tank after my 3 primary lifts, I’ll throw in some Accesory work but keep it to a minimum.

On the last month of training the intensity is high and the volume is low. The key for me is dialing in that month and exceeding previous PRs.

I start wearing a belt at 75-80% and will throw knee wraps on when I get to 90%. Wraps start light then gradually get tighter as needed. I want to get as strong as possible without them so they don’t become a crutch.

Thank you for your response HARA.

I am really starting to think as I get older and wiser( with lifting) that less is more and more frequent is better when the work capacity(Intensity) is brought up slowly so the body can handle the strain.

I like your lifting schedule.

[quote]HARA wrote:
If I must be 44…I better be a .44 Magnum

Still chasing PRs . Next meet is in 13 weeks so I’ve decided to log that journey here.

Best raw meet lifts this year

465 squat w/wraps
330 bench
562 Deadlift

Hit a 445 knee sleeve squat in training a few weeks back and easily paused 320 for a double last week…I’m definitely getting stronger.I’m running korte 3x3 up to this meet. My deadlift training has been primarily sumo. After 7 weeks, I think I’m starting to finally get the groove right.

My weight is holding between 197 and 200 now. Time to put in some work. travelling to Cincinnati tomorrow, planning on hitting a local gym after dinner to do some pulling.
[/quote]

still chasing PR’s eh? dont be over ambitious- a mans got to know his limitations

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

Still chasing PRs . Next meet is in 13 weeks so I’ve decided to log that journey here.

465 squat w/wraps
330 bench
562 Deadlift

Hit a 445 knee sleeve squat in training a few weeks back and easily paused 320 for a double last week…I’m definitely getting stronger.I’m running korte 3x3 up to this meet. My deadlift training has been primarily sumo. After 7 weeks, I think I’m starting to finally get the groove right.

My weight is holding between 197 and 200 now. Time to put in some work. travelling to Cincinnati tomorrow, planning on hitting a local gym after dinner to do some pulling.
[/quote]

still chasing PR’s eh? dont be over ambitious- a mans got to know his limitations[/quote]

If I wasn’t chasing PRs I wouldn’t be committing to meets…and I wouldn’t consider myself a powerlifter. In sport and life, never set limits on yourself…that’s what critics are for.

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

465 squat w/wraps
330 bench
562 Deadlift

[/quote]

still chasing PR’s eh? dont be over ambitious- a mans got to know his limitations[/quote]

If I wasn’t chasing PRs I wouldn’t be committing to meets…and I wouldn’t consider myself a powerlifter. In sport and life, never set limits on yourself…that’s what critics are for. [/quote]

that shows a certain sense of style

Injury prevention work
Front squats 5x5 185lbs
Swiss bar press. 175 8x6
Bloc pulls 415 5x5

Easy peasy

Top sets
Squats. 315x8 triples
Speed bench
Speed pulls.

I think you summed up being a powerlifter very nicely.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
I think you summed up being a powerlifter very nicely.[/quote]
The sport of powerlifting is a bit of an addiction, I think.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
I think you summed up being a powerlifter very nicely.[/quote]
The sport of powerlifting is a bit of an addiction, I think.[/quote]

It totally is. It’s all about chasing the PR high.

Hit my 75% lifts easily this week. Pushed up to 80% on bench to see how it felt. Went fast.

Diet is primarily clean protein, unlimited vegetables and a complex carb meal on heavy lifting days.

Managing diet around calorie expenditure and effort can be tricky. Hitting your percentages with ease must mean you’re doing something right.