405x8 Squat (PR)

furthermore, ‘believedat,’ regarding your contention about leverages…it’s common knowledge in powerlifting that long limbs and a short torso benefit the deadlifter, whereas the opposite benefits the squat and bench.

Longer arms and legs and a shorter torso mean you don’t have to bend at the waist as much and can stay a little more vertical. The critical articulation is at the waist, i.e., straightening out your lower back. It isn’t at the knees/straightening out your legs.

Obviously, this advantage is somewhat nullified if you have short arms to go with your long legs and short torso, but this bodytype is not very common…usually people’s limbs are uniformly short or long.

Still curious about your powerlifting accomplishments…thanks again.

[quote]DaBeard wrote:
dfreezy i don’t think you understood what I meant. If you stop before going to at least parallel, that will place a great amount of stress on your knee’s ligaments which is why i always go below parallel and have never had even the slightest of knee aches yet. [/quote]

Gotcha. I thought you were saying going to parallel or lower was dangerous, a notion still believed by many. Cheers

i know longer arms help, which i the point i was trying to get across

you are wrong about longer legs,

the best combination is long arms and short legs as i originally posted, if you want to argue that you can keep talking and talking, (oh btw, proving against someones point with a handful of examples isnt the way to go, but i should have disregarded that, it was obvious it was coming)

as for personal accomplishments im much more knowledgeble on the science side of things and only started lifting 2 months ago, my lifts are very low, this has nothing to do with talking about the technical side of things though, im quite sure you pull more then me, sorry you felt threatened,

I still stick to my original comment that the OP with long arms and short legs is in no disadvantage at all, he infact has the best combo for deadlifting and he should not feel bad about it, anyways my intentions werent to hijack the thread, lets agree to disagree

Long legs & shorter torso, combined with long arms, is definitely a good bodytype for DLs (long recognized as the classic DL bodytype yada yada).

Yes, with shorter legs there may be less total distance to raise the weight, but that is only a small part of the equation. You can’t, for example, consider DL to be just a modified squat, as the bar movement in relation to the body’s position is a fundamental consideration with DL. The leverages involved are critical and when the leg-back ratio is large, there is a slight mechanical advantage available.

[quote]believedat wrote:

only started lifting 2 months ago, my lifts are very low,

sorry you felt threatened,

[/quote]

Stop posting. No shit a short torso, long arms, and long legs is the ideal bodytype for pulling. However that bodytype is rare. As previously stated arm and leg lengths are usually going to both be long, or both be short.

No one is threatened by you, You’re just some guy who started lifting 2 months ago. Stop trying to be confrontational, no one here gives a shit about you. You’re just another newb who feels the need to spout off in threads when everything you post is wrong, common knowledge, or irrelevent.

seriously.

[quote]whotookmyname wrote:
Long legs & shorter torso, combined with long arms, is definitely a good bodytype for DLs (long recognized as the classic DL bodytype yada yada).

Yes, with shorter legs there may be less total distance to raise the weight, but that is only a small part of the equation. You can’t, for example, consider DL to be just a modified squat, as the bar movement in relation to the body’s position is a fundamental consideration with DL. The leverages involved are critical and when the leg-back ratio is large, there is a slight mechanical advantage available.[/quote]

Shhh, he’s been lifting for a whole TWO MONTHS. I bet your just scared of him.

[quote]DaBeard wrote:
Tedro, is it normal for someone with a longer torso and shorter legs to have a better squat than deadlift? That would make me feel a little better.[/quote]

It is expected. Ramo has basically explained why already.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
man and i thought i was king shit for hitting 275x9 in oly shoes at 5"10 195.

long way to go, long way to go.

funny thing is I’m easily the strongest squatter at my local ymca… its really sad[/quote]

haha…same here

at 5’6" 185 lb’er I’m the ONLY squatter to hit parellel depths . I see bigger (over 200 lbs) guys squat 3 plates for reps , but they dont get anywhere near a legal-depth

this 6 foot tall dude asked me to spot him a couple weeks ago . yeah right , how is a 5.5 footer gonna back-spot a 6 foot tall dude by himself;pretty bad leverages on a missed rep . I found another guy to help side-spot ; dude does his set and then asks me how they looked …

how do you politely tell a guy that he squats like shit ??

[quote]believedat wrote:

as for personal accomplishments im much more knowledgeble on the science side of things and only started lifting 2 months ago[/quote]

Think this about says it all.

OP: there’s nothing you can do about your limb lengths/body proportions anyway, so don’t worry about it.

One thing I will say is that if you have a longer torso, working the hell out of your core is essential and will make a big difference for you.

As a general rule, if you are built for a certain lift, you’ll get the most out of just hammering that lift. If you aren’t built for a lift, you’ll need a wider variety of assistance work and attacking weak points directly.

Thanks Ramo, I think you summed it up best. I was thinking about the core work also, and actually just started adding it in about 2 weeks ago. I think with the length of my back, I would really benefit from a stronger core. I do gotta say one thing, I really hate when a thread turns into something that was not even remotely the reason for it’s posting and i’ve noticed that happens quite a bit here.