405lbs Raw Bench Thread

I want to go for this as well. Whats the time frame?

I was able to hit a double at 365 during my bulk last cycle with an assisted third rep. Partner gave me that “It’s all you” speach so I know he was pulling off ten pounds or more of it. Heh.

I will shoot for a 405 come this time next year. I am in no hurry. I have done that much before when I was younger.

To answer the other question. I am 6’ 2.5" at 320# age 42.

[quote]Wilderman wrote:

I will shoot for a 405 come this time next year. I am in no hurry. I have done that much before when I was younger.

[/quote]

Do you find yourself getting frustrated because you are behind where you used to be?

I’ve been lifting for years and ended up taken time off and was very inconsistent so for me doing 405 now I have just caught up to a weight I was able to do a few years ago too. Back then I was 285 so now i’ve hit that lift 50lbs lighter so I’m happy about that but I also get frustrated thinking about what may have been had I not taken time off or had been more disciplined in my routine…

29 years old 220lbs bwt.Its a shame i didnt carry on training from when i first started i would be at 500 now.

I’ll get in on this as well. I’m probably around 350 now but really just getting back into a reasonble routine after a few years off. Hit 365 @ around 200lbs when I was in my early 20s. Definately touch and go. I didn’t really know what I was doing then so I don’t feel like 405 will be problem. Maybe in late April, so I will probably be a bit behind some of you guys.

I’m 33, 5’10", and 250ish. I will also be taking off some weight at the same time. I really shouldn’t be much more than 220 with my build. Shooting for 220 at about this time next year.

Thanks for the info guys. I’m 230lb and sitting around 330lb on the bench atm. 22 years old. Hoping to close in on 4 plates late next year or early 2010. Maybe sooner if I get my weight up!

best 375 at 195lbs. 18 years old. wanted to get 2x BW bench at 18, but got into muay thai. Been a year of not hard lifting.
19 years old now, up at 360, I seem to be a lot stronger though…i’ll be tryin 375 real soon. From there I’m strictly training bench, I dont care if I don’t even squat or dead lol. I wanna hit 405 at 200-202. Double bodyweight here I come.

[quote]Tiznut wrote:
Wilderman wrote:

Do you find yourself getting frustrated because you are behind where you used to be?

I’ve been lifting for years and ended up taken time off and was very inconsistent so for me doing 405 now I have just caught up to a weight I was able to do a few years ago too. Back then I was 285 so now i’ve hit that lift 50lbs lighter so I’m happy about that but I also get frustrated thinking about what may have been had I not taken time off or had been more disciplined in my routine…

[/quote]

Nope. I let it inspire me to regain those numbers. I am really pushing to get to my old numbers on the big three by the end of 2009. I want to score over 1600 by then if I wanted to. That isnt much for todays standards and my body weight but it is a personal goal.

I am trying a bodybuilding approach now. I was one of the eat big and lift heavy stuff kind of guys. It made me strong but wasnt very healthy and I dont like the look of myself as a result. Eating 7000 calories a day left me a little bloated. I am losing steadily now and still reclaiming PRs so I am on the right track. Ill drop another 50 pounds and might actually look ok without a shirt on for a change.

Pretty simple workout today to close out the cycle. I did some easy singles on flat bench working up to 350, then closed out with some close(r)-grip declines to get some more work in. This was the easiest I’ve ever hit 350, plus the lightest bodyweight I’ve been while hitting it (190).

From now until January I’ll back off on the heavy benching to work on form and hit some higher reps, then I’ll start up another heavy cycle.

Flat bench
(lots of warmups)
275x1
305x1
325x1
350x1

Decline bench
225x15 (pinkies a little inside rings)
275x9 (pinkies one inch inside rings)
245x10 (pinkies two inches inside rings)

To answer Hanley’s question, I’m 24 and weigh 190.

27 weigh 230lbs max bench 320 as of 12/12/08
I’m in uncharted waters as-it-were, being the strongest and heaviest I’ve ever been. I know everyone’s progress varies, but I’m pushing for 405 raw BP by August '09.

8 months to add 85 pounds. reasonable?

I’m in! 365 paused(training) @ ~215lbs, 18 years old. Hoping to hit 405 raw by summertime, though my geared bench is my priority.

oh you’ll be able to definately hit it masonator!
especially if your just strictly training for powerlifting and not any other sport. My strength gains always came so fast when JUST lifting and no conditioning work, no sports training or anything. Maybe we can race to 405 masonator! what ya think?

[quote]rasturai wrote:
oh you’ll be able to definately hit it masonator!
especially if your just strictly training for powerlifting and not any other sport. My strength gains always came so fast when JUST lifting and no conditioning work, no sports training or anything. Maybe we can race to 405 masonator! what ya think?[/quote]

Ok, it’s a race! You’d think it would be easy, but not with my monkey arms lol. Keep me posted with your progress.

alright cool man! shit you got monkey arms eh haha
I’m not very tall, but i don’t have short arms, but neither long arms!. Regular arms for a guy my height. (5’8 and half)
i’ll post progress and put vids up on this forum here n there of benching. i’m hoping to get 405 within like 5-6months of hard training for it.

it’s gonna be a bit harder cause i train muay thai 3x a week class and then drills (kicks, knee’s punches) after lifting on seperate days, so the conditioning, punches etc. sometimes my shoulders get too tired cause of the punching + upper body lifting, so i always gotta watch not to overdo. but i’m still gunnin for it!
im benching tomorrow, we’ll see how it goes! lol

How’re the other 405-chasers doing in this holiday season?

Just a quick workout to keep the form solid until I start back heavy in Jan:

Close-ish-grip flat bench
(pinkies one inch inside the rings)
225x10
245x10
245x10

[quote]MCS wrote:
How’re the other 405-chasers doing in this holiday season?

Just a quick workout to keep the form solid until I start back heavy in Jan:

Close-ish-grip flat bench
(pinkies one inch inside the rings)
225x10
245x10
245x10
[/quote]

Tried Floor Press yesterday. I remember now why I don’t do these…I suck at them.

275x7 was my last set after a few sets of 4. Paused a good second on the floor but still weaker than regular bench with a pause. Maybe they’ll feel better with a bit more wieght and fewer reps? Sets of 2 with 315 next time.

Anyone else like the floor press for shirtless benching? I haven’t used them much at all but thought I would rotate them in with bench and 4" manpon bench. I seem to stall a little right after the midpoint. I feel strong off my chest and lock out is reasonable if I can get there. I should probably do a bit more shoulder work.

I maxed out on bench in the gym about 3 weeks ago and hit a paused 365 @ about 215-220. Hope to get 375 in competition next month.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I’m 230lb and sitting around 330lb on the bench atm. 22 years old. Hoping to close in on 4 plates late next year or early 2010. Maybe sooner if I get my weight up![/quote]

you seem to focus your energy, routines, and positive attitude more towards legs than upper body.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

Anyone else like the floor press for shirtless benching?[/quote]

I added floor presses into my last heavy cycle and they seemed to help. I’m going to do them again in my next cycle, so then I’ll be able to see if they’re something I’ll keep doing on a regular basis.

For me, I think they’ll be useful as a way to get in some extra heavy benching without doing as much flat bench. My shoulders get messed up fast if I do too much ME work on flat bench, so I’ve been mixing it up with floor presses and declines.

[quote]MCS wrote:
dhickey wrote:

Anyone else like the floor press for shirtless benching?

I added floor presses into my last heavy cycle and they seemed to help. I’m going to do them again in my next cycle, so then I’ll be able to see if they’re something I’ll keep doing on a regular basis.

For me, I think they’ll be useful as a way to get in some extra heavy benching without doing as much flat bench. My shoulders get messed up fast if I do too much ME work on flat bench, so I’ve been mixing it up with floor presses and declines.

[/quote]

Did they seem to help in a particular area. ie did you feel stronger at the bottom mid or top portion?