405lb Deadlift Challenge

I don’t usually carry my phone with me to the gym either, but I will this time. My gym also has a clock with a seconds hand. I also have a stopwatch kicking around my house somewhere. Perhaps someone you know does too, and would let you borrow it.

I’m not trying to be a smartass, but we live in a world full of clocks. The solution is close I’m sure.

2 Likes

You buy a kitchen timer for $1

2 Likes

Burn 1 minute of a song onto your music player and put it on repeat. Start when the song repeats.

1 Like

I recommend Lou Reed’s masterpiece, Metal Machine Music for that approach. I’ve marked the 1 min section I’d put on repeat.

1 Like

Agreed.

Bring your phone (just this once)

Buy a cheap stopwatch (5 bucks)

Find the gym clock and watch it

Personally, I just bring my phone. As long as you’re mindful, it is not at all difficult. There are morons all over the gym actually talking on their phone and texting between sets, it is no big deal to keep your phone stashed in a sweatshirt pocket, or atop your gym bag, etc.

1 Like

I like the 30 minute cap. And now Pwnisher gave me a baseline to work towards! Good stuff guys, can’t wait to get rolling on this. I’ve done 18 reps in a minute in competition on a deadlift bar, no straps. No idea if I’ll go with the axle or a regular bar for this challenge. If I use a regular bar, I’ll keep the straps off.

2 Likes

I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves - we all should do this challenge first, let’s say you can try as many times as you like, final score must be submitted by May 1 - but I have another idea that would increase “accessibility” while also making it tough for big/strong dudes in a hurry.

315 pounds as the weight

Set starts every minute on the minute

1 rep
2 reps
3 reps

Until you can no longer complete the prescribed reps within the time limit.

Like I said: 405 EMOM 30-minute challenge first.

Scores for this must be submitted by May 1.

After that, perhaps we can post up the 315-for-additive-reps challenge named above as a summer challenge (scores posted May-June or something).

3 Likes

Suggestion:

When anyone else does the challenge, tag @furo so he can grab your score.

@furo: when someone posts a score, edit the first post to give the poster’s name and score, along with any relevant notes, i.e.

@T3hPwnisher: 30 minutes + 11 reps (axle bar, with straps)

That way all scores are lined up in post 1 at the top and we don’t have to continually search.

2 Likes

I like this challenge too. I know @Alpha just did something similar.

2 Likes

Did you have a seance with Satan himself recently or what, lol?

4 Likes

I wanted give this a run today to see if I can handle the volume but about 16 minutes in I was reminded that I’m fat and weak! 16 reps emom w/ 355lbs (conventional). Rep 17 stalled below my knees so I shut it down there. This was the first time I’ve ever tried something like this and I enjoyed it! Definitely going to try this again but I don’t think I’m in any danger of winning! Hahaha

5 Likes

Don’t have a music player =( All I got is my 4 or so year old Iphone.

Heh. When I first started I actually carried a really old (like a decade old) stopwatch with me.

I think I’ll buy a cheap stopwatch as ActivitiesGuy suggested. It’ll be easier to check and I wouldn’t really care if I lost it/someone stole it.

Hope it’s alright if I just drop this here, so I will know where I started. Cuz I’m retarted like that. You know, just in case I accidentally make some improvement. :smirk:

Bw 123lbs x 1.5= 184.5
7@185lbs

5 Likes

So I am impatient and ended up doing the other challenge

316, start at 1 rep, EMOM add a rep.

Did this at the end of my workout. Got to minute before I had to tap. Curious what I can do fresh.

5 Likes

That looked f’ing brutal!

That damn minute was flying I bet lol

1 Like

Seeing you struggle a little here makes me feel better.

I was genuinely amazed at how quickly this got hard.

Even on 4 or 5 reps, I was feeling FINE.

On the set of 8, I really had to grind out #8, and didn’t even attempt the next set.

I will do the 405 EMOM challenge sometime in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

It is a great challenge. I am excited to see what I can do when I am healthy.

1 Like

I got 11 with 405. Took a video but I don’t have any video accounts and nobody wants to watch that. Somebody has to come in last.

My first time doing anything EMOM. It was weird, I had absolutely no trouble with my heart rate or conditioning like with 20 rep squats or supersets. The muscles just fatigued. I know I had 6 for sure. I wanted 15. But form broke down on 11. See the whiteboard in my friend’s basement for “proof”. He did EMOM with more reps.

7 Likes

Awesome stuff dude. Yeah; not the heart or lungs that break down, but just the muscles and the joints.

2 Likes

That’s a hell of a job for someone who was skeptical about whether they should even bother!

That’s exactly what I figure will happen with an EMOM singles challenge. Doesn’t get you with HR getting too high; it just slowly grinds you down. Brute strength matters, so does the focus to stay locked in for that many singles with a heavy-ish weight. If you want to beat yourself up with some crazy high heart rate workout, do CrossFit.

(Just kidding - I mostly like & respect CrossFit, and I train at a CrossFit gym).

1 Like