405 x 10 DL Check

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:
First allow me to say good work on the DL’s.

I agree with your analysis of what malonetd stated. Have you considered losing the straps and reseting after each lift? The set takes longer to accomplish but it may help you focus on technique and stay tighter in the hole. I think straps with the 2 overhand grip forces more back rounding due to the weight of bar pulling your back forward unless you have strong upper back muscles to counteract which will help you keep good posture during the lift.

[/quote]

nice job

I second the resetting. You’ll think more about what you’re doing. As far as straps, I use them on all but my first rep on long sets such as this. If I can do it once w/o straps then I’m happy. My hands are happier as well.

[quote]patricio2626 wrote:
yvanehtnioj wrote:
Good job! Are your shoes flat? THey look like running shoes to me. If you go barefoot the bar travels less distance and you can push down with your heels more.

Yes, they are cushy Adidas running shoes. I do have racquetball shoes with flat soles if it really makes that much of a difference. [/quote]

It does make a big difference. It’ll feel much more natural and you can really drive with your heels. I used to deadlift with running shoes, but once I started going barefoot, I could use much more weight and my form got much better.

quiksilver6 wrote:
not too bad. maybe could have used a little more hip drive, get down in it a little lower perhaps

You mean, have my torso more upright and bend more with my knees? That’s a big question I have: am I too far forward, am I too upright, or is my position OK?[/quote]

Your positioning is fine. Any more bend in the knees and your knees would be too far fwd over the bar.

The lifts look good to me. To nitpick, all I’d say is keep your chest high and your chin tucked all the way through the movement. Look down at a spot on the ground in front of you instead of up. This helps to keep the chest high and keeps your neck out of extension.

You can’t pull 405 that many times and not know what you’re doing, so don’t freak out too much.

I suggest you read Rippetoe’s analysis of the DL. It will tell you all you need to know to correct your own form.

Oh, and get rid of the running shoes. Pull barefoot.

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:
patricio2626 wrote:
Thanks, guys.

malonetd: You’re saying that maybe I’m rising too quickly with my legs vs. with my back?

I agree with your analysis of what malonetd stated. Have you considered losing the straps and reseting after each lift? The set takes longer to accomplish but it may help you focus on technique and stay tighter in the hole.

I think straps with the 2 overhand grip forces more back rounding due to the weight of bar pulling your back forward unless you have strong upper back muscles to counteract which will help you keep good posture during the lift.

[/quote]

Negative. I suggest he just adds-in some upper back assistance lifts.

The way to focus on technique is to focus on technique.

bluejay wrote:
This has been said but as the reps go on you’ll want to focus on dropping your butt and keeping your lower back tight as in the first couple reps in this video. I’ve done alot of high rep deadlifting, and typically even when the weights get higher I touch the shins very little and just graze the thighs. My arms are long allowing for a more vertical torso and higher hips at the bottom so what I experience vs. what you experience may differ quite a bit.

How many reps can you do at 315? 495? How often do you go as high as 10 reps in the dl? Do you ever go higher?

Yeah, this does seem to be a recurring observation, so it sounds like I should give it a try. I have no idea how many I can do with 315 any more, and really haven’t tried with anything heavier than 405.
[/quote]

This may sound dumb to alot of people but If you do high reps with a weight you can really do high reps with for a few weeks then gradually increase weight and lower reps your body will stay tight and in place even on heavy singles. This is my experience but it works great.

30 reps-20 reps-10reps each for about 2-3 weeks and you will be able to maintain form through any max effort dl. The idea is to pick a weight eventually hit 30 reps then pick a heavier weight eventually hit 20 reps then pick a heavier weight and eventually hit 10 reps. After this if you work down to whatever you normally do for reps you will not have any break in form.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
SergeantQ wrote:
patricio2626 wrote:
Thanks, guys.

malonetd: You’re saying that maybe I’m rising too quickly with my legs vs. with my back?

I agree with your analysis of what malonetd stated. Have you considered losing the straps and reseting after each lift? The set takes longer to accomplish but it may help you focus on technique and stay tighter in the hole.

I think straps with the 2 overhand grip forces more back rounding due to the weight of bar pulling your back forward unless you have strong upper back muscles to counteract which will help you keep good posture during the lift.

Negative. I suggest he just adds-in some upper back assistance lifts.

The way to focus on technique is to focus on technique.
[/quote]

I believe we are saying the same thing. To state another way, the intent of “unless you have strong upper back muscles” is if you find yourself being pulled over by the weight the way to correct is to work upper back muscles. Any weak link in the chain will eventually break; see where I’m going. After fixing weak points while continuing to maintain strong points a person can “focus” more on technique and not worry about weak points.

Straps? Get chalk, build the forearms. Other then that looks good.

I am astonished this hasn’t been brought up.

Seriously, im very surprised at no one saying this.

Your legs are locking damn near before you even pass your knees with the bar, or around there. From the knees up all the pressure is on your lumbars. If that’s what you want, fine, but if you want to lift heavier weight and hit an overall greater amount of strain? don’t lock out so early.

Look at the first few reps, when you go to put the weight down versus how you picked it up. Your putting the weight down naturally in the manner that requires the least resistance. do you see the difference?

Your shins seem pretty long in proportion to your quads, but it’s not an excuse for losing strength due to putting the focus of the lift on one area of your body. It is a whole body exercise.

Consider dropping the hips a little bit, and pulling up and back, not just up (Though you do a good job thus far).

Pause the video at any rep when the bar is in front of the knees and going up, and pause again on way down. Your pulling hideously from the glutes to the lumbars solely. These guys are all worried about your upper back curvature and the pressure there? I don’t see what for. Your fine there.

I think the way your body is built your naturally strongest deadlifting the way you did in the video, but it’s not the best way to develop your strength efficiently. especially for this lift. You may have to shave off a few pounds the first 2-3 workouts you try this, but believe me with all your heart when it’s the best thing to increase your deadlift and the amount of muscle fibers activated doing the deadlift, while maintaining safety.

Otherwise, you might as well just go romanian deadlift or stiff legged, your not far from it

Yeah as jt561 mentioned. Your legs are straightening out too quickly. I noticed when you start your pull the bar is right up against your shins. This could be contributing to the straightening of the legs. I’ve noticed in my experience if the bar is too close to my shins it tends to make me want to stiff leg my conv. DL’s. Think about starting with the bar closer to mid foot and keeping the legs bent till you get past the knees.

[quote]jt561 wrote:
I am astonished this hasn’t been brought up.

Seriously, im very surprised at no one saying this.

Your legs are locking damn near before you even pass your knees with the bar, or around there. From the knees up all the pressure is on your lumbars. If that’s what you want, fine, but if you want to lift heavier weight and hit an overall greater amount of strain? don’t lock out so early.

Look at the first few reps, when you go to put the weight down versus how you picked it up. Your putting the weight down naturally in the manner that requires the least resistance. do you see the difference?

Your shins seem pretty long in proportion to your quads, but it’s not an excuse for losing strength due to putting the focus of the lift on one area of your body. It is a whole body exercise.

Consider dropping the hips a little bit, and pulling up and back, not just up (Though you do a good job thus far).

Pause the video at any rep when the bar is in front of the knees and going up, and pause again on way down. Your pulling hideously from the glutes to the lumbars solely. These guys are all worried about your upper back curvature and the pressure there? I don’t see what for. Your fine there.

I think the way your body is built your naturally strongest deadlifting the way you did in the video, but it’s not the best way to develop your strength efficiently. especially for this lift. You may have to shave off a few pounds the first 2-3 workouts you try this, but believe me with all your heart when it’s the best thing to increase your deadlift and the amount of muscle fibers activated doing the deadlift, while maintaining safety.

Otherwise, you might as well just go romanian deadlift or stiff legged, your not far from it[/quote]

LOL. Can you pull 405x10?

The fact that he’s pulling the way he does has to do with his inherent biomechanics, not some fault in his lifting. Some people, due to the length of their torso, femurs, and tibia/fibula simply pull like that because that’s how they have to pull. He’s got long legs, therefore he’s going to start his pull with his torso a lot more parallel to the floor than someone with shorter legs who will start more upright. The only way for him to start with his torso more upright is to have his knees further over the bar, which will just result in him pulling the bar into his shins and having the bar never clear his knees.

You are pulling 405x10, so you are doing alright.

Only thing I would say is ditch the running shoes in favor of something with a lower, harder sole, or just go barefoot. You seem to have a little balance issue b/c of the shoes at the top (or at least I can see a lot of excessive foot movement). It should also help you get into a better position and stay on your heels. Overall tho, good work!

good job. If you really wanted to get nitpicky, as someone else said, get your hips lower and really pull back. your legs are locking out before your lower back is.

Deficit deads will help (dl’s while standing on a platform) ideally you want everything locking out at the same time. It’s not the end of the world, just a minor thing that will help you move more weight. oh, don’t listen to the other guy who said look down…look up.

Nate112 wrote:
Form looks solid man. A conditioning coach once told me " If your shins are bleeding by the end of your deadlifts than your doing them right." and by the looks of it your shins should be pretty sore or red.

Thanks for the comment. I actually haven’t torn them open in a while; it was happening every freaking time for a few months. Gotta love the guys that use this as an excuse to not deadlift. [/quote]

And those guys do rack curls, weightless lunges, and crossfit. :smiley:

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the input. I’m glad to know that I’m not on my way to degeneratvie disc disease due to bad form. Based on some of the advice, I will try wearing my flat racquetball shoes on DL day and will also experiment getting down more on the weight so that I can drive more with my legs. Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to pull 12 then and have to go up to 455; that would be awful :slight_smile: Thanks again!

Update: Went barefoot today and made more of an effort to lean back and get more drive with my legs, but didn’t seem to help a whole lot. I just scraped my shins and made it a little more akward for myself, but I did get 405 x 10 with a clean 10th rep this time.

I usually like to let the weight drop, then drop my hips down and put my chest up before each rep. It helps me with getting the same form every rep. Just my 2 cc’s

Update: Went barefoot today and made more of an effort to lean back and get more drive with my legs, but didn’t seem to help a whole lot. I just scraped my shins and made it a little more akward for myself, but I did get 405 x 10 with a clean 10th rep this time. [/quote]

I wouldn’t do anything too drastic to your stance or technique. Your form was fine in your first video and it got you to 405x10. Now that’s not world class, but it’s fairly strong and good enough to show that you know how to lift and make gains.

If anything, I would just make slight tweaks here and there and learn what helps and what doesn’t.

Dude. 405 x 10. :open_mouth:

Look at the dude in the back of the video :slight_smile:

There’s a good bit of hitching/ramping going on towards the end of the set. Surprised no one has brought that up yet.