405 Deadlift Reps?

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Just being proactive, but if you’re five pounds away from a hundred, go for that, not five plates. 405 is better than 400 because it’s four plates. 585 is six plates. 600 is to far off to just jump to that. so when I see the five plate stuff, I’m thinking just be proactive and do 500.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d had gone 500 too. The op specifically said he was shooting for a 495 1rm so that’s why I said 5 wheels. or is it 10 wheels? Kind of like deer hunting. Where I grew up we say total points… some places just do one side of the rack… lol

So you only bench 225, 315 etc. never use anything else but plates? So you believe in only 90# pr’S or Rep pr’s with your given “whole plate” theory…weird but if that’s what works for you. Maybe I’ve misunderstood you??

I’m almost 38…(Lord where has the time gone…) not quite sure of your OCD. Sure if you’re just a few pounds away from a “100” go for it but not using 25’s and such is silly.

I like to use this article when testing my maxes:
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/warming-up-to-prs/

and according to that if you want 495lbs for a 1RM:
1 set of 5 at 65% (perfect form)
1 set of 3 at 75%
1 set of 1 at 80% (youâ??re going to singles earlier on purpose; belt up and practice if you havenâ??t already done so)
1 set of 1 at 85%
1 set of 1 at 90%
1 set of 1 at 95% if your max is under 400 (if you have a big pull, start going up in 50-lb increments; donâ??t do any weight within 50 lbs of your projected max)
1 set of 1 at 102% (surprise!)

That’s never failed me in the past.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]Louisville1982 wrote:
I’m bored at work, normally when I get too 405 on my deadlift set I do singles up too my max, well today I just stopped at 405 and finally tried some reps. My question is, how many 405 reps should I theoretically be able to do if I’m trying for 495 max ? I got 6 reps of 405. [/quote]

Wendlers 1rm estimate formula in his 5/3/1/ book says 7 reps gets 499 (E)1RM.

Better yet, throw 495 on the bar and smash that shit bro…then call it the “Louisville1982 1 RM estimator” lol

4 wheels for 7,8,9 reps is cool but 5 wheels is cooler…PERIOD!!
[/quote]

better yet, put non the 2.5s and do 500 already. Pounds are cooler than kilos. Just as inches are cooler than cms. 34 D is cooler than 86.36.[/quote]

Very true. Who said anything about kilos tho?
[/quote]

Just being proactive, but if you’re five pounds away from a hundred, go for that, not five plates. 405 is better than 400 because it’s four plates. 585 is six plates. 600 is to far off to just jump to that. so when I see the five plate stuff, I’m thinking just be proactive and do 500.

As for pounds vs kilos, I do realize it wasn’t brought up, but it’s a slippery slope from five plates with 45s to five plates with 2o kilos. Next thing you know you’ll be watching soccer and carrying a man purse.

My rules, go for a new 100 level if you never have. Go for plates at 2, 3, 4, 6, and seven. Never 5. 5 is so close to five hundred that you just do 500.

Man don’t you young guys know these OCD rules that have been passed down forever?[/quote]

Tom, I love your posts, I was laughing hard when I read this, and no, no one ever told me these rules, but that is exactly how I think. In fact, several weeks ago, my old best pull was 465, and then I hit 485 and it went up easier than I thought so a guy I knew was like, go pull 5 plates! And I said are you fucking nuts? Why would I try and pull 495 and miss the 500 club by 5 fucking pounds? So I put on 500 and managed to grind it out, and I am sooo, sooo glad I did. :slight_smile:

To the OP, I hit 415 for 9 two weeks ago (touch and go) and missed 505 last week by a long shot, so who knows. I really think alot depends on how your body is doing on that particular day.

thanks for the the info guys, i was mostly a bencher gym rat up until like 2 years ago, so deadlift and squat where just rows and legs presses to me. I think when i benched 370 for the first time raw i was only deadlifting like 295 or something, it was brutal !! So i have moved a long way, but still don’t have the grip, and whatever else i need in me to get this 500lbs off the floor, almost there though. I pulled 470 clean, so i might just put 500 on from now and just miss it over and over until it goes up.

^^ I wouldn’t do that louisville… missing weights will do nothing but set you back. Every now and then is one thing but planed bomb outs are no good dude. Maybe try to pull from pins or blocks say bar right above your knee. You should be able to get 500, probably easy, if you got 470 off the floor clean like you said. It’ll get you handling bigger weights and will build your grip. Then lower the bar one hole at a time. Eventually you’ll pull from the floor.
Do you ever pull against bands? That’ll get you fast. It will helf you break weight off the floor. May just send your dead past that 500# barrier.

Good luck and kkep us posted!

Mike