T Nation

400m Sprint/Lifting & FINiBARs/Surge Workout Fuel

I’m training for a 400m sprint against a co-worker and I was wondering if anyone can help me with the placing of FINiBARs and Surge Workout Fuel? Lift days are done after sprint training (150m, 200m, 400m, Hills, etc.) and consist of 4-5 exercises (mostly 4-6 reps), as recommended by a sprint program by Latif Thomas.
I was thinking of taking Surge Workout Fuel before the sprint work, and then eat the FINiBARs on the 15 minute drive back to the gym to lift.
Thanks for any help.

Your plan sounds like a good starting place from which to experiment.

This must be one serious bet going on here… and wherever you work, I like your coworkers.
Your timing on the FINiBARs might be too short, but I’ve never used the things so someone else might want to chime in on that. I’ve never heard of lifting after sprinting though, but that’s not to say its unwarranted. Are the sprints 100% or are you supposed to be holding back a bit? When I do intervals I’m out 100% which is probably why I can’t imagine a double-header with lifting.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
This must be one serious bet going on here… and wherever you work, I like your coworkers.
Your timing on the FINiBARs might be too short, but I’ve never used the things so someone else might want to chime in on that. I’ve never heard of lifting after sprinting though, but that’s not to say its unwarranted. Are the sprints 100% or are you supposed to be holding back a bit? When I do intervals I’m out 100% which is probably why I can’t imagine a double-header with lifting.[/quote]

On Latif’s program and other programs I’ve looked at, the sprints aren’t 100%. They vary from 70% to 90% depending on distance and training day.
He has the lifts after sprinting so you don’t screw up your CNS too much. So they aren’t on another day like other programs I’ve seen. If you can lift a few hours apart from the sprinting, he’s okay with that too. But I don’t have the time to do that.
My race is against a female who played Div 1 soccer, so I don’t know what her best time in the 400m would be. I’ll just say she could run it in 60 seconds or so.
I injured my knee sparring, so I won’t be able to sprint for the next few weeks. That leaves me with less than 3 weeks to prepare. Good luck to me.
Thanks Mod Brian for your advice. I’ll try taking the Finibars before sprinting and the Surge before lifting to see how that goes too. Gotta experiment.

And if you win?..

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
And if you win?..[/quote]

We’re just having a friendly competition for lunch. She’s 20 and I’m 40, so there’s pride involved for me too. She likes to make fun of our age difference. I gotta do it for us old guys! hahahaha