400lbs Raw Bench

I am approaching 400lbs in a raw bench. At what time (if ever) should I be concerned with elbow sleeves. This sounds awkward but the only guys I know and personally seen that bench 400+, use shirts and sleeves.

This isn’t much of an answer, but I think that it’s pretty subjective.

I bench 360 right raw right now, and I use an elbow sleeve on my right arm because my right elbow has tendonitis. Wearing the sleeve helps keep it nice and warm. I’m even thinking of getting a pair of them so I can wear them on both elbows as insurance.

My cousin, however, benches 385 raw and doesn’t wear elbow sleeves and never has, and his elbows have never hurt, and I know another guy that benches 455 raw with no elbow sleeves and no elbow pain. So, maybe I’m just a wuss.

[quote]ASNAC wrote:
I am approaching 400lbs in a raw bench. At what time (if ever) should I be concerned with elbow sleeves. This sounds awkward but the only guys I know and personally seen that bench 400+, use shirts and sleeves.[/quote]

i use elbow sleeves whenever i do rep work. my arms ache constantly from low bar squatting and whenever i do rep work on pressing movements i use elbow sleeves. they have really kept my aching under control and have allowed me to continually train heavy. I DON’T use them on heavy sets though. i only get that achey feeling when i’m changing direction quickly during rep sets.

My elbows have never bothered me on heavy sets. I have a low 500lb raw bench and my elbows feel great when benching heavy.

USE SLEEVES IF YOU NEED THEM…i used to use them for bench when my tendonitis was real bad…but after rehabbing it, i don’t anymore…
started using sleeves for squat but thats it

Thank you for the feedback.

I put on elbow sleeves to tie my shoes. No but seriously, elbow sleeves are just plain nice. Splurge and spend $20 on a cheapo pair from the sporting goods store. Your elbows and bicep tendons will thank you.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
I put on elbow sleeves to tie my shoes. No but seriously, elbow sleeves are just plain nice. Splurge and spend $20 on a cheapo pair from the sporting goods store. Your elbows and bicep tendons will thank you.[/quote]

[quote]Pinto wrote:
I put on elbow sleeves to tie my shoes. No but seriously, elbow sleeves are just plain nice. Splurge and spend $20 on a cheapo pair from the sporting goods store. Your elbows and bicep tendons will thank you.[/quote]

One post for each elbow?

lolz

I hit 405 in June and have never used them. I think it is a personal choice. If you use them and like them, so be it.

There isn’t any point in not using elbow sleeves. The only drawback is that you have to pay a small sum of money. It’s one of the easiest things you can do to minimize the risk of injury. It’s a no-brainer.

[quote]molnes wrote:
There isn’t any point in not using elbow sleeves.[/quote]

Unless you’re a raw lifter who wants to do raw PL competitions, which don’t allow sleeves. As a raw PLer I think it’s a good idea to use sleeves sometimes – particularly if your elbows are giving you trouble – but not so often that you can’t perform optimally without them.