T Nation

400 Meter Runs for Whatever

So i was inspired by the CT Running man article and decided to try out the 400m sprints today. Now let me tell you that i was a collegiate level athlete and a fast guy, so im not just some random fatty on a couch deciding to do 400’s. So the first one i did, i ran really well and started to get really fatigued only during the last 30m or so… The second one i did, the beginning wasnt nearly as fast and halfway through i could barely run with any form or speed…The third one, well lets just say ive seen girls with 60 percent body fat run better than i was running and i couldnt even really finish all the way through…Are these supposed to be that friggin hard, I only did 3. Do they actually help drop bodyfat like advertised or am i just abusing myself by doing this? Any feedback on this will help i think.

Yeah they are hard. I don’t really like the article, mainly because of the short rest intervals. I found the only way to complete the work out is to jog the 400’s. IMO, 400 meters should be a sprint, not a jog, and it requires rest to sprint for more than 2 sets of 400’s.

I personally like to rest about 10 minutes between runs so I can go all out for the 55 seconds or so, depending on my conditioning.

Running man isn’t a speed workout. It’s closer to the type of workout mid distance types do for vo2 and pace practice.

It’s good for fat loss, and if you haven’t been running a lot it’ll definitely get you back in shape. If you’re already pretty sharp you’ll need dedicated speed workouts.

It’s gotten too damn hot to go to the track, but for a few months ago I was able to run just over 60 but was shooting for 72-75 for my running man type workouts.

[quote]Kir Dog wrote:
Yeah they are hard. I don’t really like the article, mainly because of the short rest intervals. I found the only way to complete the work out is to jog the 400’s. IMO, 400 meters should be a sprint, not a jog, and it requires rest to sprint for more than 2 sets of 400’s.

I personally like to rest about 10 minutes between runs so I can go all out for the 55 seconds or so, depending on my conditioning.[/quote]

Yeah man, the rest intervals were killing me, but he says this stuff really sheds the fat lbs. Obviously i wasnt sprinting 90%-100% any longer than the first 2/3 of the first sprint, but i dont know if that really matters, versus, just sprinting really hard three to 5 times with a shorter break in between…if fat loss over pure improvement in 400 time is the goal…thanks

I’ve been doing Running Man for 5 weeks now and I’m on Week 5 of the ‘Good Shape’ column. I definitely don’t all out sprint my 400s but I am damn tired after each workout. My lungs burn on the walk home from the track. I do it twice a week on off days from lifting and really like it as my source of HIIT. I plan on finishing out ‘Good Shape’ through week 8 and then moving on to ‘Great Shape.’ I’d like to see more articles that show a Cardio Progression (as JB put it last week) that we could follow. This was great work on CT’s part.

[quote]JKThreeEleven17 wrote:
I’ve been doing Running Man for 5 weeks now and I’m on Week 5 of the ‘Good Shape’ column. I definitely don’t all out sprint my 400s but I am damn tired after each workout. My lungs burn on the walk home from the track. I do it twice a week on off days from lifting and really like it as my source of HIIT. I plan on finishing out ‘Good Shape’ through week 8 and then moving on to ‘Great Shape.’ I’d like to see more articles that show a Cardio Progression (as JB put it last week) that we could follow. This was great work on CT’s part.[/quote]

???Did you get any notable results or what

Something about that distance that it is a killer for everybody, even 400 runners. It is as if there is atime bomb ready to go off after 300 meters. If this workout is easy for you then you may be a great runner or be taking it easy.

I have a question. I am thinking of doing 400M sprints from Running Man on my off days. But I’m doing a fullbody workout. So if I like squat and stuff on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays…will it be a bad idea to sprint on Tuesdays and Saturdays?

Is it okay to sprint the day after you workout your legs?

Speaking to 400m runners (mid 47-49’s) they tend to feel the lactic at about 120 to 90 to go. Such a lovely feeling too.

This tends to be about 45s, I guess for most people the 400’s would be lactic dominant but working into the aerobic system.

I’m not on a cutting diet, so I can’t say I’ve seen results other than me gaining weight without gaining much bodyfat. Also, my times for the 400m runs are decreasing each week so I’m getting faster as well.

I do them no matter what I’ve lifted the day before or what I’m lifting the following day. Just make sure to stretch beforehand because my calves are damn close to cramping by the end of it.

BUMP

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
I have a question. I am thinking of doing 400M sprints from Running Man on my off days. But I’m doing a fullbody workout. So if I like squat and stuff on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays…will it be a bad idea to sprint on Tuesdays and Saturdays?

Is it okay to sprint the day after you workout your legs?[/quote]

could be a good way to get blood flowing for recovery, unless the 400s are too intense. anyone else want to weigh in? love to hear other opinions

bump

I always take 2:00 between my 400’s (which are actually 440’s yds.).

Some observations:

-In order to really feel it I only need to do four hard all out runs, not including any warm up. I notice that on the fifth or sixth I lose a little steam and it only seems to drain my reserves. Of course everyone is different.

-When my time for the 440 is around :65 that always computes to about a 6:00 mile for me. I never have to train to run the mile. If I’m running fast quarters then I know I can run a fast mile. It seems to work the other way for me as well: If I am running fast 1/4’s I can also run a fast 100.

-They are GREAT fat burners. And more importantly muscle preservers, unlike distance running which will eat through your muscles like so many Pirhana feeding on a dead fish.

-To cut the boredom I suggest hill sprints in their place. Make sure the hill is no longer than about 200 yards or so. Count the jog/walk back to the bottom of the hill as only part of your rest in between. You will really learn to hate these!

I started running 400’s last week, I plan to run them on Mondays and Wednesdays. I try to aim for a time around 60 secs. Ive been on a mass phase and starting to gain my cardio back for a rugby tournament in 6 weeks.

The way I “sprint” them starting from the 400 starting point which is somewhere on the middle of one of the straightaways, I sprint through the first turn, then I concentrate on having long strides on the far straightaway(I slow down a little but still a sprint) then I pickup speed through the last turn and finishing with an all out dash.

This is the way I was taught to run for 400’s in high school, Believe me if you are running them correctly your lungs will burn.

As for rest intervals i walk around the track, I founds this helps get your breath back a lot more than standing around, it also is roughly 120 secs depending on your pace.

This are my 2 cents on this topic.
Have fun running.

[quote]poolcook wrote:
I started running 400’s last week, I plan to run them on Mondays and Wednesdays. I try to aim for a time around 60 secs. Ive been on a mass phase and starting to gain my cardio back for a rugby tournament in 6 weeks.

The way I “sprint” them starting from the 400 starting point which is somewhere on the middle of one of the straightaways, I sprint through the first turn, then I concentrate on having long strides on the far straightaway(I slow down a little but still a sprint) then I pickup speed through the last turn and finishing with an all out dash.

This is the way I was taught to run for 400’s in high school, Believe me if you are running them correctly your lungs will burn.

As for rest intervals i walk around the track, I founds this helps get your breath back a lot more than standing around, it also is roughly 120 secs depending on your pace.

This are my 2 cents on this topic.
Have fun running.[/quote]

You “walk” around the track in 2:00?

Yea 400’s will drop your body fat by alot. For instance instead of saying a 400m workout is a 400m workout where you run 400s. You can try some stuff like

4x300m with 5 minutes rest in between
5 minutes rest is pretty much full recovery for a practice workout session. You can do other stuff such as
10x200 in 38 seconds since your untrained with 2 minutes rest in between each one.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

You “walk” around the track in 2:00?
[/quote]

You are absolutely right, that was a brain fart on my part is definately around 3-4 minutes.

anything else

nothing?