T Nation

400/800 Times to Walk On at D1 School?

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of times are needed to walk on at a mid level D1 school?

It can really depend on the depth of the program and how many extra runners they are willing to take on. But I would guess under 53 and as close to 50 as you could get for the 400 and somewhere in the low 1:50s for the 800 meter would give you quite a few options.

As someone who did walk on at a Horizon League school (it wasn’t horizon league back then in 1996) I would use making your state championship as a gauge. As a senior in highschool i was running 14.3 in the 110, 38.8 in the 300s, and could run 50.something fairly consistently on the 4x4. I got no offers from DI schools. The school I went too ended up having worse records than my highschool and I still had to deal with the “hazing” of being a freshman walk on.

I think with track though, and it really depends on the program, they may take anyone it just the meets you’ll run during the year will be minimized to ones where the whole team goes or home meets.

But it really depends on the program. If you can run sub 1:55 in the 800 consistently and you don’t get an offer it may have more to do with exposure than anything else.

Guaranteed d1 material would be: sub 50 400, sub 2:00 800

you could get on a team with worse times… depends on the program and YOUR attitude.

[quote]swhole milk wrote:

you could get on a team with worse times… depends on the program and YOUR attitude.[/quote]

Surely a sub 2:00 800 wouldn’t get you onto a college team? That seems way too slow.

I am former Division 1 track athlete, and there is no real clear answer to this question as it highly dependent on the school you are looking at and/or the conference they compete in. Some smaller Division 1 schools have no standards and will take anyone. Others have a highly competitive process for walking on.

My best advice would be to look at the results of the school’s conference championship meet. If it looks like you might have the ability to be a conference scorer someday then any coach should let you walk on. Keep in mind you may need to run 46 in the 400 to score in the SEC, but 50 might score in the NEC, MAAC, etc.

what are your best times in these two events?

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

you could get on a team with worse times… depends on the program and YOUR attitude.[/quote]

Surely a sub 2:00 800 wouldn’t get you onto a college team? That seems way too slow.
[/quote]

slow? lol, when’s the last time you went sub 2?

i’m not saying you’re gonna win/even race for the team, but i would think most coaches would see sufficient potential with those times

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

i’m not saying you’re gonna win/even race for the team, but i would think most coaches would see sufficient potential with those times[/quote]

They would want to know your 200m and 100m times in order to judge potential. You don’t need great footspeed to break 2 minutes but if you want to run times that would be competitive at a college level you need to have very good speed and speed can’t be taught.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

i’m not saying you’re gonna win/even race for the team, but i would think most coaches would see sufficient potential with those times[/quote]

They would want to know your 200m and 100m times in order to judge potential. You don’t need great footspeed to break 2 minutes but if you want to run times that would be competitive at a college level you need to have very good speed and speed can’t be taught. [/quote]

dude… no. just no.

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

I long jumped at a D3 College, and am now transferring and switching to the decathlon at a D1 university.

Sub 2:00 800? Are you serious?! We didnt even win our Division 3 conference with all 4 guys in the 4 x 8 running 1:58 or faster. Our fastest split 1:55. A 1:58 runner is total trash for a D1 college

Now I am not saying you shouldnt walk on if you run just under 2, but dont expect for that to be considered a quality time. I would say if you are looking to make any impact you need to come in having ran 48/1:56 as a minimum. But track is a weird sport, some teams dont make cuts, some D1 schools get smashed by small schools. Just email the coach and tell him what you have done and what you want to do.

But a 50 second 400 and a 2 min 800 will make you a non factor at a D3 college. Check the qualifying marks for your conference, this should give you a good idea of what it takes to excel in your school. Walking on, you dont need to be actually scoring at conference, but you should at least be able to be within 2-3 second in the 4 and 5 seconds in the 8 of the qualifying standards if you want to be a serious player

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

They would want to know your 200m and 100m times in order to judge potential. You don’t need great footspeed to break 2 minutes but if you want to run times that would be competitive at a college level you need to have very good speed and speed can’t be taught. [/quote]

dude… no. just no.

[/quote]
You think you can break 1:50 without being fast? And you probably won’t even run in an NCAA final if you can’t break 1:50. 2 minutes is a good time but there are so many who can do that in HS it’s nothing special. HS boys have even gone under 1:50. You have women in college going sub 2.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

dude… no. just no.

[/quote]
You think you can break 1:50 without being fast? And you probably won’t even run in an NCAA final if you can’t break 1:50. 2 minutes is a good time but there are so many who can do that in HS it’s nothing special. HS boys have even gone under 1:50. You have women in college going sub 2. [/quote]

i was saying no to your assertion that “speed can’t be taught”

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

I long jumped at a D3 College, and am now transferring and switching to the decathlon at a D1 university.

Sub 2:00 800? Are you serious?! We didnt even win our Division 3 conference with all 4 guys in the 4 x 8 running 1:58 or faster. Our fastest split 1:55. A 1:58 runner is total trash for a D1 college

Now I am not saying you shouldnt walk on if you run just under 2, but dont expect for that to be considered a quality time. I would say if you are looking to make any impact you need to come in having ran 48/1:56 as a minimum. But track is a weird sport, some teams dont make cuts, some D1 schools get smashed by small schools. Just email the coach and tell him what you have done and what you want to do.

But a 50 second 400 and a 2 min 800 will make you a non factor at a D3 college. Check the qualifying marks for your conference, this should give you a good idea of what it takes to excel in your school. Walking on, you dont need to be actually scoring at conference, but you should at least be able to be within 2-3 second in the 4 and 5 seconds in the 8 of the qualifying standards if you want to be a serious player[/quote]

i agree that those times are not incredible, but last time i checked the question was about making a team, not winning races. IMO those times are sufficient.

like others said it really depends on the program, coach, league and YOURSELF… but with the aforementioned times I think you could get a try-out/trial at most D1 programs

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

dude… no. just no.

[/quote]
You think you can break 1:50 without being fast? And you probably won’t even run in an NCAA final if you can’t break 1:50. 2 minutes is a good time but there are so many who can do that in HS it’s nothing special. HS boys have even gone under 1:50. You have women in college going sub 2. [/quote]

i was saying no to your assertion that “speed can’t be taught”[/quote]
If it could then we should see more white 100m runners, or rather, competitive white 100m runners, no?

well ron swanson, what are your 2 best times in these events???

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[/quote]

dude… no. just no.

[/quote]

i was saying no to your assertion that “speed can’t be taught”[/quote]
If it could then we should see more white 100m runners, or rather, competitive white 100m runners, no? [/quote]

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/04/151956595/a-need-for-speed-inside-jamaicas-sprint-factory

no evidence of genetic link

even if there was evidence, speed CAN be taught. just how FAST you can get is a different question, but most people would be surprised how fast they could get with the proper effort…

just how FAST you can get is a different question,
[/quote]
No. It’s the most important question.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

just how FAST you can get is a different question,
[/quote]
No. It’s the most important question. [/quote]

So, if you’re not genetically predisposed to being elite an sprinter there’s no point in even trying to improve your foot speed cause either you have it or you don’t?

That line of thinking makes no sense to me. You can’t teach someone to be a superfreak, but you can, in many cases, absolutely teach them to be a hell of a lot faster than they may “naturally” be. To believe otherwise is self defeating, unless you happen to be a superfreak.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

If it could then we should see more white 100m runners, or rather, competitive white 100m runners, no? [/quote]

Not when they’re told at 10 y/o that they don’t have a chance.

Regardless there’s a HUGE difference in speed between someone who is taught and trained to run fast and someone who isn’t. You can always be a faster you.

Heres an interesting take

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/08/09/158448224/olympic-bodies-they-just-dont-make-them-like-they-used-to