40 yr Old, Low T, Screwed Up Hormone Levels

First off, thank you for maintaining such an excellent website that has a wealth of relevant concise information concerning the production of testosterone.

I’m in desperate need of some advice. I went to the doctor recently because of low energy level and difficulty concentrating. Additionally, at the time I was experiencing abdominal pain (upper right section). Had my total testosterone checked and it came back at at 393 ng/dL. This was surprising since I love to exercise and follow a fairly strict diet.

However, I was drinking a LOT of beer prior to getting my levels checked (dramatically reduced my consumption of alcohol since then), and my doctor believes alcohol is the main cause of my low T. I’m not so certain though. I believe that I may have screwed up my hormone levels by wearing a “Ring of Power” device for approximately 24 months. Device is worn around the testicles and delivers a very low electric charge which supposedly stimulates the leydig cells and increases testosterone.

I did notice an increase in athletic ability for the first 6 months. Was doing 600+ pushups per day as well as other exercises (pullups, 200/400 repeats at the track, etc). I felt great! Then slowly over time I noticed that my energy level was declining. Now I’m still in good shape, but it’s much more difficult to accomplish my daily exercise goals. More importantly, when I now try to wear the “Ring of Power”, I get INCREDIBLY fatigued. I’ve stopped using it.

Questions:
Has anyone else posted about using the “Ring of Power”? Is there a general consensus regarding the issues caused by these devices? Also, is it possible that I elevated my estrogen levels by using the ROP? If so, what’s the best blood test to determine this? E2? Also, below is the list of follow up blood tests I plan on getting done in the next week or so. Does anyone have any recommendations on additional tests?

Follow Up Blood Work:
iron studies, CBC, testosterone free and total, LH, FSH, prolactin, E2, ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE BILIRUBIN, TOTAL, SERUM ALT, SERUM AST, SERUM ALBUMIN, SERUM PT/INR

Thank you so much for any advice or feedback.

Regards,
Bill

[quote]billjones wrote:
First off, thank you for maintaining such an excellent website that has a wealth of relevant concise information concerning the production of testosterone.

I’m in desperate need of some advice. I went to the doctor recently because of low energy level and difficulty concentrating. Additionally, at the time I was experiencing abdominal pain (upper right section). Had my total testosterone checked and it came back at at 393 ng/dL. This was surprising since I love to exercise and follow a fairly strict diet.

However, I was drinking a LOT of beer prior to getting my levels checked (dramatically reduced my consumption of alcohol since then), and my doctor believes alcohol is the main cause of my low T. I’m not so certain though. I believe that I may have screwed up my hormone levels by wearing a “Ring of Power” device for approximately 24 months. Device is worn around the testicles and delivers a very low electric charge which supposedly stimulates the leydig cells and increases testosterone.

I did notice an increase in athletic ability for the first 6 months. Was doing 600+ pushups per day as well as other exercises (pullups, 200/400 repeats at the track, etc). I felt great! Then slowly over time I noticed that my energy level was declining. Now I’m still in good shape, but it’s much more difficult to accomplish my daily exercise goals. More importantly, when I now try to wear the “Ring of Power”, I get INCREDIBLY fatigued. I’ve stopped using it.

Questions:
Has anyone else posted about using the “Ring of Power”? Is there a general consensus regarding the issues caused by these devices? Also, is it possible that I elevated my estrogen levels by using the ROP? If so, what’s the best blood test to determine this? E2? Also, below is the list of follow up blood tests I plan on getting done in the next week or so. Does anyone have any recommendations on additional tests?

Follow Up Blood Work:
iron studies, CBC, testosterone free and total, LH, FSH, prolactin, E2, ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE BILIRUBIN, TOTAL, SERUM ALT, SERUM AST, SERUM ALBUMIN, SERUM PT/INR

Thank you so much for any advice or feedback.

Regards,
Bill
[/quote]

Bill,

Alcohol can affect the results of a blood test. Not to say that this is causing your low T, but it would impact single tests. Since you say you were drinking “A LOT”, a subsequent test would be needed to confirm. Also, LH/FSH values are needed. I have never heard of a ring of power, but I speculate that if IT DID cause your testosterone to be low, then it would probably have caused damage to the testes and your LH/FSH would show up on the high end. If you have those values already, post them here.

Kaynon,

Thank you for the advice. Next week I plan on getting another round of blood tests done. LH/FSH are on the list. I’ll post the results once I get them.

Thanks again,
Bill

Also test TSH, fT3, fT4 and

• check body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky
  • report history of using iodized salt, problems if not.

Also need CBC, cholesterol and liver markers ALT/AST [doc should be all over that], AM cortisol [8AM!]

We do not even have your age. See the advice for new guys sticky to see what we deal with here.

ROP sounds bogus, at least never mentioned here before. You may have purchase that device to address an problem that was in progress and the problem might simply have progressed to it’s end point.

KSman,

Thanks for your thoughts and my apologies for not carefully reading the sticky threads. Here’s my info:

-height: 6’2"

-waist: 37

-weight: 215

-describe body and facial hair: Hair on chest, stomach, parts of back.

-describe where you carry fat and how changed: I’ve always carried fat in the lower portion of my stomach, right around where my bellybutton is located. No change in where I carry fat.

-health conditions, symptoms [history]: Low energy level and difficulty concentrating. Additionally, at the time I was experiencing abdominal pain (upper right section). Pain and bloating was significant for a while. However, I started taking a probiotic as well as a milk thistle supplement and my stomach pain has gone away. [Also, I used a “Ring of Power” device for 2 years that basically was 2 rods (1 zinc and 1 copper) woren around the testicles. It was supposed to boost testosterone naturally. However, 1) I’m uncertain if it really did anything and 2) more importantly I believe that it may have given me either a copper or zinc toxicity. Whenever I wear the device now, I get incredibly fatigued.]

Was drinking quite bit of beer for a while (6-8 per day). However, I only drink once a week now.

-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever: Never

-lab results:
Initial total testosterone test in May 2013: 393 ng/DL; >=200

Subsequent blood work done on 08/30
Testosterone, TOTAL: 515; >=200 ng/DL
TESTOSTERONE, ULTRASENSITIVE, LC MS/MS: 534; 250 - 1100 ng/DL
Testosterone free: 76.8; 35.0 - 155.0 pg/mL
LH: 2.4; 1.0 - 12.0 mIU/mL
FSH: 5.9; 1.4 - 18.1 mIU/mL
Prolactin: 7; 2 - 18 ng/mL
TSH: 1.53; 0.10 - 5.50 uIU/mL
Estradiol <50; <=50 pg/mL (according to my idiot they don’t give out actual values unless it’s abnormal)

IRON AND TIBC (TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY)
Iron 107; 50 - 212 ug/dL
Iron binding capacity, unsaturated 163; 110 - 370 ug/dL
Total iron binding capacity 270; 228 - 428 ug/dL
Transferrin % saturation 40; 14 - 57 %

CBC without differential
WBC COUNT 5.5; 3.5 - 12.5 K/uL
Red blood cells count 4.29; 4.10 - 5.70 M/uL
Hgb 13.4; 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL
Hematocrit 39.7; 39.0 - 51.0 %
MCV 92; 80 - 100 fL
RDW, RBC 13.2; 12.0 - 16.5 %
Platelets count 172; 140 - 400 K/uL

Ferritin 116; 22 - 365 ng/mL
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 43; 37 - 117 U/L
Bilirubin, total 1.2; 0.2 - 1.2 mg/dL
ALT 29; 0 - 36 U/L
AST 25; 10 - 40 U/L
Albumin 4.4; 3.7 - 5.7 g/dL

INR (INTERNATIONAL NORMALIZED RATIO) - PROTHROMBIN TIME, ON WHOLE BLOOD
PT 12.7; 11.7 - 14.3 second(s)
PT INR 1.0; Ratio

PSA 0.2; 0.0 - 2.5

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] : I eat a LOT of protein, vegetables, fruit and avoid processed foods. Also, I consume a fairly large amount of calories per day.

-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training]: I mainly do bodyweight exercise and run. I typically do 300-400 pushups per day. Pullups 5 days a week with about 50-85 per day. Lift weights for shoulers (giant sets) 2 x week. And for running I do about 20-30 miles per week with at least one hard track workout.

-testes ache, ever, with a fever? No aching ever.

-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: Morning wood and erections were less frequent for a while but now they’re back.

Unfortunately, I read your message after I went to the doctor and had my blood drawn. So I did not order the additional tests you suggested. Do you still suggest that I order them?

Regarding my thyroid, I make sure to use plenty of salt with iodine when I cook. Is my TSH value of 1.53 too high? Also, I took my temperature when I first woke up today after brushing my teeth. It was 97.5F. Additionally, this evening I did several more readings and my temperature ranged from 98.2F - 98.6F. Most were at 98.4F. Is this too low?

My best guess is that the ROP gave me a mineral toxicity (zinc or copper) since I wore it 24/7 for 2 years. Is this plausible? What’s the recommended treatment for detoxing?

Thanks so much for any thoughts or advice.

Regards,
Bill

Today I took my temperature as soon as I woke up and it was 97.5F. Also, later in the day my temperature was 98.3F. Second temperature is kind of low. I’ll try to up my use of iodized salt to see if it has any effect.

I did a whole bunch of research over the net and am fairly certain that I have a cooper toxicity from wearing the Ring of Power. Does anyone have any experience with removing copper from the body? Should I get a hair mineral test to confirm my suspicions? Or are those tests garbage?

I looked at Andy Cutler’s protocol to remove copper, and it involves taking large amounts of zinc. Unfortunately, zinc supplements make me tired. What’s the best way to increase zinc consumption with your diet? Eat lots of red meat and eliminate refined carbohydrates? Thanks for any help or advice.

-Bill

Copper is balanced (removed) by the Zinc on the other side of the ring. They are absorbed directly into the skin, especially the zinc. I would have these two minerals tested and just up your zinc intake by other suppliments if you’re worried about too much copper. Zinc process out copper and also is a T booster of its own.

The two metals are the main items needed for amaking a battery. By skin conduction they induce a micro-current across your package which increases bloodflow to your package. This leads to upped natural T production by your body.
Three years ago over 6 months I lost 50 pounds, Wearing a Blakoe ring helped while I worked out daily and at less than I took in.

The last 2 weeks I have worn my ring again and dropped 10 pounds so far. Gonna keep wearing it and reproduce my results from the past.
Whole new eating lifestyle now should help maintain that low weight once I hit it again.

Estradiol <50; <=50 pg/mL

This is the wrong test, suitable for a fertile female. Test does not resolve any useful levels for males.
Doc is lying.

Blood is thin: Hematocrit 39.7
You could get an occult blood test to check for GI bleed.

I think that you fit into the over training camp.

Also test DHEA-S and fasting cholesterol