T Nation

40 Year Old Recovery

Should a 40 yo stay away from an upper/lower split working each muscle group twice a week in favor of the 4(or5) day split working each one time a week? I'm wondering if my Cns and joints can recover well enough at 40 to hit the muscles twice a week.

you never know until you try it. only advice is to work into it over time. don't overwhelm yourself with too much too soon - that's assuming you are just starting up

Nah. I've been lifting for about 2 years always with a 4 day split. I've never tried a upper/lower program or anything hitting the muscle groups twice per week. I kinda figured it'd be a try and find out what happens deal.

If you're trying to make gains I don't think once a week is enough. If you don't have any limiting factors other than being 40 years old you should be able to recover fine.

I'm 42 have been training for 20+ years. I'm currently making great gains on 5 x 5, Mon-Deadlift, Weds-Front squat and Fri-Back squats and I'm doing 5 work sets not 2 warm ups and 3 work sets. A bit of upper body thrown in afterwards and recovering just fine. Don't use your age as an excuse to train less often. Train as often as you can until you start to struggle and then take a week off or deload.

I think you'll make much more progress training this way than working each muscle once a week on a split routine. A muscle only needs 4 or 5 days to recover if you're training beyond failure, forced reps etc. I think you could easily work a muscle 4 or 5 times a WEEK! at any age as long as you steer clear of working to failure. I think as you age you need more stimulation not less. Older muscles are stubborn!!

x2

People at 40 are like people at 20, everybody is going to respond differently to stimulus. I get bored training less than 4-5 times per week. IMHO food and rest mean more towards recovery than training time.

Even on a 4 or 5 day split, you will be hitting muscles more than once if you strucute it properly. Example, on chest day do flat bench and on arms day do close grip bench or dips as one of the movements for tris and you will secondarily hit chest.

Of all the splits, upper / lower is the one I dislike the most. Too many upper muscles to cover in one session. I would do push / pull / legs or a split. Even 5/3/1 is basically a bodybuilding split with a structured strength progression on the BIG 3 + OHP.

As the Farmer mentioned, if you manage intensity, volume and recovery you can train a muscle multiple times per week. CNS and joint are a non-issue for most unless they are beating the hell out of themselves.

I agree it's hard to get all the upper body done in one day! Can you direct me to any 'pre-made' push-pull routines?

When I fist started lifting I was hanging around the site Muscleandstrength.com and over there anything more than a 4 day split and you are overtraining! I once had the gall to ask about a 5 day split and I was severely scolded. NO WAY! Thats a good way to overtrain they said. They also said your muscles need a full week to recover. Twice a week is a no no. They got me to the point to where I'm almost afraid to even try! It's time to give something else a go.....

what do you guys think of this: (layne norton's)

Sunday: Upper Power
5Ã?5 or 3Ã?5 for all lifts(5Ã?5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3Ã?5 on cut)
Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Military Press
Barbell Shrugs

Monday: Lower Power

5Ã?5 or 3Ã?5 for all lifts(5Ã?5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3Ã?5 on cut)
Back Squat
Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, I like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms

(For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
DB Incline Bech 3Ã?8-12
Barbell Close Grip Bench 3Ã?8-12
DB Flat Bench 2Ã?8-12
Preacher Curls 3Ã?8-12 super setted with
Standing French Press 3Ã?8-12
Push Downs 3Ã?8-12 super setted with
DB Hammer Curls
Cable Crossovers 3Ã?8-12
Machine Curl 3Ã?8-12 supersetted with
Machine Dips 3Ã?8-12

Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps

(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
DB Shoulder Press 3Ã?8-12 super setted with
DB Front Raise 3Ã?8-12
DB One Arm Row 3Ã?8-12 super setted with
DB Arnold Press 3Ã?8-12
Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2Ã?8-12 super setted with
DB Shrugs 2Ã?10-15
Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2Ã?8-12 super setted with
DB Upright Row 2Ã?10-15
T-bar row 2Ã?8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves

(For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
Hack Squat 5Ã?8-12 super setted with
Standing Calf 5Ã?10-15
Leg Extensions 5Ã?10-15 super setted with
Sitting Leg Curls 5Ã?10-15 super setted with
Sitting Calf Raise 4Ã?8-12

Saturday: Off

Or this (lee hayward)

Weeks 1, 2, and 3 do the following workout routine.

Monday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Squats:
- do a couple warm up sets first
- 5 sets of 5 reps (train heavy, but don't train to failure)

Dead lifts:

Standing calf raise:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg raises:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Incline sit ups:
- 3 sets of 10-20 reps

Tuesday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Incline barbell bench press:

Seated dumbbell shoulder press:
- 5 sets of 8 reps

Bicep cable curls: (from low pulley)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Tricep push downs: (using straight bar attachment)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Bent over dumbbell lateral raises:
- 3 sets of 10-15 reps

Thursday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Leg press:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Leg curls:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Wide grip pull downs:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Hyper extensions:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Pull down ab crunches:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Friday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Incline dumbbell bench press:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell side lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Bicep dumbbell curls:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Tricep push downs: (with rope attachment)
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Barbell upright rows:
- 3 sets of 15 reps

Everyone has a completely different tolerance to exercise. What is overtraining for some is barely a warm-up to someone else. I now realise I wasted many years "undertraining" because I was brainwashed by magazines forcefeeding me the Heavy Duty, Mike Mentzer, Hardgainer philosophy BULLSHIT!!!! And that only steroid users could possibly conceive of doing more than 2 sets of an exercise!! How could they know how much training is right for you?. The key to gaining size and strength is simply to train as often as possible (several times a day if you have the lifestyle where you can) whilst still recovering between workouts. It pains me to think how much bigger and stronger I'd be now if I knew this back then.

Completely agree! I'm going to stop wasting time and get out there and try new things.

I'm getting ready to start a new bulk next week. Do you have any good routines to try?