40 Yard Dash?

some specific things that help most people instantly in the 40 are to get a good starting postion, one that you feel 100% comfortable and explosive with (you might have to experiemnt a bit). the other main thing is to just think about arm drive.

swing your arms as aggresively as you can with approx a 90 degree bend (more in the backswing and less in the front). often times the proper arm swing helps other areas of technique fall into place.

oh yeah and keep the lifting up!

good luck
AC

1 Like

get some relative strength!
whats your chinup number like?
try to shoot your chinups up to the 20s and keep squatting and lose some bodyfat you should see improvements right away. Of course practice your starts and the first 10 yards, which is the most crucial part of the race.

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
try to shoot your chinups up to the 20s and keep squatting and lose some bodyfat you should see improvements right away. Of course practice your starts and the first 10 yards, which is the most crucial part of the race. [/quote]

Why did you recommend doing chin-ups?

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:
try to shoot your chinups up to the 20s and keep squatting and lose some bodyfat you should see improvements right away. Of course practice your starts and the first 10 yards, which is the most crucial part of the race.

Why did you recommend doing chin-ups?[/quote]

Defranco and Martin Rooney both stated that number of chinups is one of the best indicator of speed because it measures relative strength. If you take 2 athletes with same technique and same weight, the athlete who can perform more chinups will always win the race. I find this true in my own observation as well.

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:

Why did you recommend doing chin-ups?[/quote]

Read onā€¦

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=0F51253B822EBECBBCF401190F22EAF8.hydra?id=1344676

When I was in elementary school I could do more push-ups than anyone but no more than 8 chinups.Iā€™m built with a very heavy lower body.Wide hips,big ass,and my thighs are big as well.The majority of my weight is focused througout my hips and thighs.

Then it is concentrated in my shoulders and chest.Iā€™ll give chinups a shot though.The guys from SPARQ showed us good starting stances and such and my coaches have always peached on using your arms.I think if I had some time to learn my own stance it would help.Also I am flat-footed.Does anyone know wether or not that is a disadvantage?

And I mean a disadvantage for running a 40 yard dash.Not chin-ups.

Chin-ups also build the latsā€¦duh.

Whatā€™s not so obvious is that strong lats will get you rotating faster and help your running form.