T Nation

40 Yard Dash Times

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/7/0/706922.1122778806723.Pit.bmp

Just wanted to start a forum where athlets could post and discuss their 40 yard dash times. And also discuss on how to improve their 40 time. I’m a hs football player and i run about a 4:88 give or take depending on how i feel and would really like to improve my time any suggestions.

Thats screaming dude. You’re quicker than a good number of NFL running backs.

Speeding up your 40 is a number of things. Most of them havee to do with form.

But if you want to get out of the gate faster. “Fast to the hole” so to speak. You can go for squats and plyometrics. Things that will improve your vert. will also improve your 10 yard dash a great yeard deal.

A good comparision would be to find a good fly 40… A 10 yard dash time and your 40 time and compare them to statistics out there. Find which ones you’re deficient in and improve those.

Remember the most important thing is if you can play football. There’s plenty of guys who aren’t strong or fast, but are great quarterbacks.

It makes me wonder about guys like Joe Montana who have the intangibles… But aren’t the greatest athletes. How would they be handled and treated today?

“Sorry, Joe. I know your the king of the 2 minute drill, but frankly that 40 you ran in pretty appalling.”

Intangibles. Why Tom Brady wins and why Ryan Leaf watches.

Correction to the last post. I read 4.58. I need new contacts. 4.88 makes it a different story. That isn’t very fast and could be improved through running form and such. Advice above applies totally though.

4.68 last time I ran, and I suspect Im a bit faster now, prolly in the 4.64 range.

I do alot of sprinting and plyometric drills, and I deadlift and squat as well.

I’m a 10th grader and i ran a 4.69 in the end of school camp we had. I’m hoping to get down to a 4.4 or 4.5 when they test us again during conditioning week August 15 purely from form that i have learned since then.

I’m doing Oly lifts, Plyometrics, and all the usual Bench Squat Deadlift etc.

I was going to start a thread, you beat me to it.

-M

[quote]Garrett W. wrote:
Thats screaming dude. You’re quicker than a good number of NFL running backs.

[/quote]

sorry dude, but a 4.8 aint exactly screamin. NFL backs are runnin 4.3, 4.2.

Sorry again, i didnt read your 2nd post

High School I ran a 4.58 (hand timed so maybe thats more like 4.6-4.7)

Yea I know…

then the track coach ran me into the ground, my arches dropped, i got shin splints that developed into stress fractures and now I can barely sprint more than 200m w/o pain.

If I ever see him, I’m beating his ass.

Incorrect, most nfl running backs are running around 4.5 at best, with most in the 4.6,4.7 territory. Its hard to drop really low if your already short and lug around a decent amount of weight.

If you want to improve your 40, the best place is to fix your start. While watching the players at the spring combine at my school I found to many of them crouched to low and used a position that didn’t allow them to get the most force out of their muscles. Also drive your feet into the ground and under your center of mass, while contact is only at the ball of your foot. And practice get some sleep good rest and all, stretch :).

yea your right, but there are still a good amount with sub 4.4 times.

I run a 4.50 electroniclly timed. Its all about strength to wieght ratio, and of course form. I can squat a deep 455lbs. at a bodyweight of 174lbs. Stop laughing, I just turned 17. Get your legs and core strong and get your bodyfat down.
Get Fast

Garret W., I have to disagree that form is most of the 40. Granted, bad form will lead to a slower time and you need the most efficient running form possible to be at your best, but the 40 is an explosive event. you can have bad form and still have a really good 40 time.
The 40 is all about explosiveness. Garret W. said that squats and plyos will help the “getting out of the gate” and the 10 yd. dash time, but really the 40 is merely “getting out of the gate”. In the 100 meter, sprinters keep their heads down for the first 20, 30 and sometimes 40 meters. thats beacuse they are focusing on power. Very few people reach their max speed beofre 40 yards. that is why the 40 is ALL about explosiveness.
To improve you must incorporate plyos, squat, deadlift, and olympic lifts. You need strong legs, but you must also have a strong core.
Also, it would probably help to work on reaction time. most people could probably drop 1/10 of a sec (I am generalizing here) just by working on “getting off the ball”.

4.56 handtimed… the 40 is tough to master… I’ve been stuck at the 4.61-4.56 range forever… frustrating… I will bust a 4.4 soon when I get my start down and improve my numbers on OL’s/Squats… Parrallel squat ~400, Hang Clean ~225… I also noticed that alot of guys can run good 40’s but after that can’t run for shit… others might not have good 40’s but their field speed might be way better than a guy that runs a 4.2 or 4.3… Interesting stuff… I am more of a 400m runner type anyways, never was a blazing 100m sprinter, but have decent enough speed and stamina to maintain over 400m. (50.3 4x4 split)

[quote]GeneralLee wrote:
Garret W., I have to disagree that form is most of the 40. Granted, bad form will lead to a slower time and you need the most efficient running form possible to be at your best, but the 40 is an explosive event. you can have bad form and still have a really good 40 time.
The 40 is all about explosiveness. Garret W. said that squats and plyos will help the “getting out of the gate” and the 10 yd. dash time, but really the 40 is merely “getting out of the gate”. In the 100 meter, sprinters keep their heads down for the first 20, 30 and sometimes 40 meters. thats beacuse they are focusing on power. Very few people reach their max speed beofre 40 yards. that is why the 40 is ALL about explosiveness.
To improve you must incorporate plyos, squat, deadlift, and olympic lifts. You need strong legs, but you must also have a strong core.
Also, it would probably help to work on reaction time. most people could probably drop 1/10 of a sec (I am generalizing here) just by working on “getting off the ball”.[/quote]

Is there no form to the drive section of a sprint? Can I just put my head up and push really hard? Fuck no. Keep your head down, stay low, and drive. Thats the form for the start of every sprint. Thats what I was explaining. Most people do bring their head up far to early. Then again a 40 yard dash is just a number. You don’t run with your head down in football.

Also, I don’t know who said that most NFL backs run 4.3 or 4.2, but most NFL players period don’t run those numbers and I think maybe Clinton Portis runs in those times. Maurice Clarett ran a what, 4.68? Theres only a hand full of guys who run below a 4.3 in the NFL. There are guys who run sub-4.2, they’re not in the NFL cause they usually suck at football. But seriously speed isn’t all of it, but it helps. But theres more ways to measure speed than a single 40 time.

Garrett W., I wasnt disagreeing with you totally, I just dont think it is ALL about form. form can help immensley, but as I said, a good 40 can be achieved without great form.
Didnt Don Bebe run in the 4.2’s? Im not sure if that is true, but I know he was sure one fast white dude.

Sidenote - I used to run a 4.45 - 4.5. But that is when I actually trained to sprint

thefuture:

If you got some more years of high school, joining the track team may be a big help if you got a good coach.

For me, the stronger I get, the faster I get.(and I’m really not that strong compared to other people my size)

I would think just joining the track team would be what you need for now.

I hope to break my 4.42 this fall to a high 4.3 and I bet I could because I’m stronger than I’ve been. For me it seems to work that way. The stronger I get the more force I seem to put into the ground.

Then there are the mechanics of the 40.

But, the 40 is one marker. I would also consider other things like; Size, agility, power, strength, balance or resilience from tacklers.(the last one pretty tough to train for LOL) Walter Payton and Jim Brown had a resilience after being hit. Their legs never stopped and actually moved faster when hit and seem to have the ability to recover quicker from tacklers than anyone else.

All I’m saying is even though the 40 is really, really cool… it may be beneficial to be a well balanced player in all those areas.

4:88 I bet you could drop to 4.6 with some big strength increases and some more mechanics. Mechanics never get old…

-Get Lifted

The drive phase is basicly a part of your race to help increase consistancy of performances throughout all your races as well as a buffer to allow you to gain speed before your hips will drop and cause you to run slower. For a 40 if you care to bother to attempt driving, I’d say your first 2-3 steps maybe even 4 steps you should be in a drive position but after that you shuld’ve covered about 10-12 yards and its time to come up hit your top speed and maintain it all the way through the line.

Driving in the 40 could help because it may help the athlete focus more on pushing the ground with explosive power and getting themselves to move forward at a faster rate of speed. Another thing I was thinking about is that if any of you attempt driving, driving isn’t just keeping your head down, its more of an increased lean to keep your body’s momentum moving forward and keeping your head down in some cases help achieve this affect. Hopefully this information helps someone drop some tenths.

I was wondering what kind of split an olympic sprinter would hit for 40 yards? I mean, at 9.8 for 100 meters, and maybe a peak speed of 11 meters/second, they’d have to be covering the first 40 METERS in about 4 seconds flat which would be about 3.6-3.7 for 40 yards? Just a curiosity.

I have read a lot about sprinting, but I’m not fast.

I do know that an extensive study showed that for every 1 percent decrease in bodyfat % athletes (football players) 40 times dropped 0.05 seconds, and that it was cause and effect-if a player lost fat, he got faster, down to some critical level (6-7 percent) where it stopped helping.

I also know that there are 2 clearly different types of sprinters in the world. (sometimes called flyers and swingers). Flyers, like Owens and Lewis have very ordinary stride lengths (2 meters max) but stride frequencies that are at the limit of ability (around 5 strides/second). Swingers like Green have very ordinary stride frequencies (just under 4/second) but amazing stride lengths out to around 2.7 meters (almost 9 feet!)

I ran a 4.78 and am a 15 year old soph… Thats not great but it can b imroved with some strngth gains. 300 Parallel squat and 350 dead. BW 150 I had a good bench tho 225 lol

4.15 is the fastest in the nfl that ever happened and he wasnt much of a player.

and i think a lot of people are lieing about how fast they run 4.6 in high school and still not in 10th grade yeah ok if your doing that then your probally one of the best athelets in your state and a future friggin star.

most full back run a 4.8 to a 4.9 in the nfl
i run a 5.0 im a fullback and i dont ever train for the 40 yard dash hardly applies to football its about stop and go speed of the ball speed and thats were my skill is
at least there is two times that are correct that are up here lol

My son is just 12 years old and ran a 5.3 40yd. dash.

I was impressed, but know little about how other 12 year olds rank.

Is 5.3 good, average or below average for a 12 year old kid?

(He can also nail 24 consecutive dead hang chins :wink: