40 Y/O Fat Guy Can't Lose Weight

I’m not sure what to do. I’m a morbidly obese 40 year old guy. Here are some stats to scare you.

5’6’’
237 pounds
Fairly thick build. Big chest and shoulders. Big quads. Most people who look at me are shocked that I weigh so much. They often assume I’m less than 200.

Almost all fat in belly and chest. I have no hip and ass fat. Maybe only a little on inside of thighs. Most of belly fat is below the abdominal muscle wall.

Waste is 44’ around belly button

Moderate body hair on chest and legs. Moderate facial hair. Little hair on arms and back.

I’ve put on about 60 pounds in the last 12 years. I always exercised sporadically. For the last year, I really dedicated to a work out routine under the direction of a personal trainer who works at the small gym at my work place. I usually get four, sometimes five workouts per week in the middle of the day. I do a 10 minute elliptical warm-up, go to super set pairs of upper and lower body exercises and then rest one minute. That takes about 35 minutes. Then I do another 20 minutes on the elliptical doing interval resistance. Then stretch during cool down. I keep my heart rate over 150 for a solid 60 to 70 minutes. For a fat guy, I’m really hustling. Every time they have a substitute trainer in the gym for the first time, the guy keeps coming up to me and checking to see if I can still hold down a conversation because he assumes I’m pushing too hard. I bought my first house last summer, so weekends are full of yard work (2 hours to mow the lawn) or shoveling snow (corner lot with sidewalks that have to be clear). I don’t feel like I’ve put on much muscle mass or burned any fat. I was around 240 when I went from completely sedentary to fairly active more than a year ago. Exercising seems to make little to no difference compared to no physical activity at all.

So five months ago, I decided to really get my diet together. I went on a whole-foods based diet and started eating healthier in general. I eat four or five small meals during the day, usually about 300 to 500 calories each. Greek yogurt, organic, non-GMO granola, raw almonds, fresh fruits and vegetables, frozen fruit and vegetables, whey protein powder, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, canned tuna in water, lots of kale and tomatoes and organic bananas. I average about 1800 calories a day. I usually have two or three cheat meals a week. Not a whole cheat day, just a cheat meal. I’ll sometimes go out for a lunch just to get out of the office. Those meals are somewhere in the 800-1200 calorie range. But I get right back on the horse with the next meal, and usually compensate by eating less. Days with cheat meals are maybe in the 2500 calorie range, and occur 2 or three days a week. Again, not much difference as when I ate whatever I wanted, which, admittedly was pretty bad. I saw a dietician who didn’t recommend anything other than getting a few more calories from complex carbs and less from protein. I disagreed, as my family has a history of type 2 diabetes and I’m always worried about insulin resistance. The upshot is that she thought I was pretty much doing everything right.

So, basically, I have a personal trainer and a dietician who have no idea why I’m so fat. So I talked to my PC and got a referral to an Endo.

I’ve known for six years that my triglyceride levels were very high (near 400). So my diet clearly sucked before. I had to go on Tricor for that, and it’s down to around 200 after two months. Up until the last couple of months, my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were good. Two months ago, my BP started averaging 150/85. I’m on meds for that now. My cholesterol also just got slightly high, and my ratio a little off. Nothing terrible, but I’m on meds for that. I’ve had problems with depression, aggression and anxiety for years. I’ve been on either Celexa or Lexapro for 12 years (when I started putting on weight). I’ve weened mostly off of that and I’m down to 10 mg a day of Celexa, which is barely clinical. Without it, I tend to have two good panic attacks a month. I’ve switched to 300 mg per day of Welbutrin, which is supposedly more friendly to losing weight. It’s definitely improved my mood, and it hits me kind of speedy. I’ve got more energy and feel quite a bit more motivated since I made the switch in January. It could also be the reason behind the BP increase.

So I went to see and Endo and requested a Thyroid panel, Vitamin D, Cortisol, Testosterone and anything else they could think of. The only thing they came back with was low total T at 320 and low free T (not sure). I’ve been told SHBG was also tested okay, but I don’t know the numbers. No test for E2. I’ve never considered T as a problem. I’ve never had an erectile problem, although my libido is shot. I always assumed it was mental because I feel and look like shit. The Endo got me on 2 pumps of Androgel 1.62 that day. That was two weeks ago.

Since then, I’ve been reading about HRT. I think it may be responsible for my inability to lose weight, but I’m not sure. Some of it fits. But what concerns me is how the Endo is handling it. He’s not seeing me until I’ve been on Androgel for 10 weeks. When he does, he’s not testing E2 or free T (both of which were never tested). I called him and asked that these be added to my panel for my next visit. He wouldn’t do it. I asked him if he would prescribe injectable T, AIs or HCG. He said no. I don’t trust this guy at all. In the fifteen minutes I was in his office, two Pharma reps showed up with big bags of samples. As soon as I came out of his office, there was a commercial for Androgel 1.62 on the TV in the waiting room. I’ve seen a bunch commercials since. I’m concerned that this guy is just pushing the Androgel to get a free trip to Hawaii from his friendly Pharma rep. He never asked if I was planning on having kids in the future. He just put me on Androgel and will test total T to see if the amount is good.

So here I am. I’m out of ideas. I know my diet and exercise routine aren’t perfect. But I truly believe there is no reason for me to be this fat. Furthermore, I’ve done enough research to know that a better diet and exercise makes no difference in my BMI when compared to eating shit all day and laying on the couch. What in the hell is going on?

[quote]Slackboy1 wrote:
I’m not sure what to do. I’m a morbidly obese 40 year old guy. Here are some stats to scare you.

5’6’’
237 pounds
Fairly thick build. Big chest and shoulders. Big quads. Most people who look at me are shocked that I weigh so much. They often assume I’m less than 200.

Almost all fat in belly and chest. I have no hip and ass fat. Maybe only a little on inside of thighs. Most of belly fat is below the abdominal muscle wall.

Waste is 44’ around belly button

Moderate body hair on chest and legs. Moderate facial hair. Little hair on arms and back.

I’ve put on about 60 pounds in the last 12 years. I always exercised sporadically. For the last year, I really dedicated to a work out routine under the direction of a personal trainer who works at the small gym at my work place. I usually get four, sometimes five workouts per week in the middle of the day. I do a 10 minute elliptical warm-up, go to super set pairs of upper and lower body exercises and then rest one minute. That takes about 35 minutes. Then I do another 20 minutes on the elliptical doing interval resistance. Then stretch during cool down. I keep my heart rate over 150 for a solid 60 to 70 minutes. For a fat guy, I’m really hustling. Every time they have a substitute trainer in the gym for the first time, the guy keeps coming up to me and checking to see if I can still hold down a conversation because he assumes I’m pushing too hard. I bought my first house last summer, so weekends are full of yard work (2 hours to mow the lawn) or shoveling snow (corner lot with sidewalks that have to be clear). I don’t feel like I’ve put on much muscle mass or burned any fat. I was around 240 when I went from completely sedentary to fairly active more than a year ago. Exercising seems to make little to no difference compared to no physical activity at all.

So five months ago, I decided to really get my diet together. I went on a whole-foods based diet and started eating healthier in general. I eat four or five small meals during the day, usually about 300 to 500 calories each. Greek yogurt, organic, non-GMO granola, raw almonds, fresh fruits and vegetables, frozen fruit and vegetables, whey protein powder, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, canned tuna in water, lots of kale and tomatoes and organic bananas. I average about 1800 calories a day. I usually have two or three cheat meals a week. Not a whole cheat day, just a cheat meal. I’ll sometimes go out for a lunch just to get out of the office. Those meals are somewhere in the 800-1200 calorie range. But I get right back on the horse with the next meal, and usually compensate by eating less. Days with cheat meals are maybe in the 2500 calorie range, and occur 2 or three days a week. Again, not much difference as when I ate whatever I wanted, which, admittedly was pretty bad. I saw a dietician who didn’t recommend anything other than getting a few more calories from complex carbs and less from protein. I disagreed, as my family has a history of type 2 diabetes and I’m always worried about insulin resistance. The upshot is that she thought I was pretty much doing everything right.

So, basically, I have a personal trainer and a dietician who have no idea why I’m so fat. So I talked to my PC and got a referral to an Endo.

I’ve known for six years that my triglyceride levels were very high (near 400). So my diet clearly sucked before. I had to go on Tricor for that, and it’s down to around 200 after two months. Up until the last couple of months, my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were good. Two months ago, my BP started averaging 150/85. I’m on meds for that now. My cholesterol also just got slightly high, and my ratio a little off. Nothing terrible, but I’m on meds for that. I’ve had problems with depression, aggression and anxiety for years. I’ve been on either Celexa or Lexapro for 12 years (when I started putting on weight). I’ve weened mostly off of that and I’m down to 10 mg a day of Celexa, which is barely clinical. Without it, I tend to have two good panic attacks a month. I’ve switched to 300 mg per day of Welbutrin, which is supposedly more friendly to losing weight. It’s definitely improved my mood, and it hits me kind of speedy. I’ve got more energy and feel quite a bit more motivated since I made the switch in January. It could also be the reason behind the BP increase.

So I went to see and Endo and requested a Thyroid panel, Vitamin D, Cortisol, Testosterone and anything else they could think of. The only thing they came back with was low total T at 320 and low free T (not sure). I’ve been told SHBG was also tested okay, but I don’t know the numbers. No test for E2. I’ve never considered T as a problem. I’ve never had an erectile problem, although my libido is shot. I always assumed it was mental because I feel and look like shit. The Endo got me on 2 pumps of Androgel 1.62 that day. That was two weeks ago.

Since then, I’ve been reading about HRT. I think it may be responsible for my inability to lose weight, but I’m not sure. Some of it fits. But what concerns me is how the Endo is handling it. He’s not seeing me until I’ve been on Androgel for 10 weeks. When he does, he’s not testing E2 or free T (both of which were never tested). I called him and asked that these be added to my panel for my next visit. He wouldn’t do it. I asked him if he would prescribe injectable T, AIs or HCG. He said no. I don’t trust this guy at all. In the fifteen minutes I was in his office, two Pharma reps showed up with big bags of samples. As soon as I came out of his office, there was a commercial for Androgel 1.62 on the TV in the waiting room. I’ve seen a bunch commercials since. I’m concerned that this guy is just pushing the Androgel to get a free trip to Hawaii from his friendly Pharma rep. He never asked if I was planning on having kids in the future. He just put me on Androgel and will test total T to see if the amount is good.

So here I am. I’m out of ideas. I know my diet and exercise routine aren’t perfect. But I truly believe there is no reason for me to be this fat. Furthermore, I’ve done enough research to know that a better diet and exercise makes no difference in my BMI when compared to eating shit all day and laying on the couch. What in the hell is going on? [/quote]

Well we don’t have that much to go by regarding your blood tests. If you can would be good to get a copy of all the results and add them to this thread with ranges.

Your calorie intake is not that high so either your metabolisim is extremely slow or maybe you might want to try and eliminate those 3 cheat meals a week you have. If you were to eat clean for the whole week and not eat any cheat meal do you think it would make a difference over a month, or have you tried?

Sounds like your doctor has good kick backs from Androgel so he wants you to take that so he can line his pockets. If you want injections and he will refuse maybe best option is to find another doctor.

If you go through the stickies the first 4 or 5 topics on this forum that will give you a lot of good information as well as recommended blood tests.

You will no doubt need these blood tests to get the ball rolling and try to find what is out of whack.

Don’t take a doctors word that everything is ok, demand a copy of results so you can check for yourself.

You have found the right place for help now you just have to be proactive and go about getting what you need to diagnose your problem.

If your doctor will not even do the blood tests you ask for fire him and get someone who will. Some of those tests you have been denied will be useful.

Read the stickies make a note of what tests to get and find the right doctor to work with. Maybe your current one will come around if you make it a point you want these tests done.

I got the first two test results back. The first is before any treatment, and the second from a little more than two months later after a regimen of two pumps of Androgel 1.62 per day. Both tests were done first thing in the morning after a 12 hour fast and no meds or treatments.

Labs from 03/29/12
General Chemistries

Glucose: 91 75-110 mg/dL
BUN: 13 6-20 mg/dL
Creatinine: 1.1 0.7-1.2 mg/dL
eGFR(non-Afr-Amer):>60 mL/min
eGFR(Afr-Amer): >60 mL/min
BUN/CR ratio: 12 7-25
Sodium: 141 133-145 mmol/L
Potassium: 4.0 3.3-5.1 mmol/
Chloride: 103 96-108 mmol/L
Carbon Dioxide: 28 22-29 mmol/L
Anion Gap: 10 7-16 mmol/L
Calcium: 9.8 8.6-10.2 mg/dL
Total Protein: 7.3 6.6-8.7 g/dL
Albumin: 4.6 3.4-4.8 g/dL
Globulin: 2.7 2.4-3.5 g/dL
Alb/Glob ratio: 1.7 1.1-2.2
Total Bilirubin: 0.3 0.0-1.0 mg/dL
Alk Phosphatase 49 40-129 U/L
ALT (SGPT): 23 0-41 U/L
AST (SGOT): 22 0-37 U/L

Lipid Profile

Cholesterol: 199 0-200 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 219 0-150 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol: 35 40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol: 120 0-99 mg/dL
LDL/HDL ratio: 3.43 0.00-3.05 mg/dL

C-peptide: 3.17 1.1-4.4 ng/mL
Cortisol A.M.: 15.640 6.2-19.4 ug/dL

Free T3: 2.83 2.0-4.4 pg/mL
Free T4: 1.160 0.900-1.700 ng/dL

TSH: 1.560 0.270-4.200 uU/mL
Anti Thyrogl. Ab: <11 0-115 iU/mL
Anti TPO Ab.: <6 0-34 iU/mL
Free Test: 5.2 5.0-21.0 ng/dL
Bioavail Test: 129.1 L 130-680 ng/dL
Test: 218.4 L 280-800 ng/dL
SHBG: 20.38 13.66-93.20 nmol/L

Labs from 6/7/12
General Chemistries

Glucose: 96 75-110 mg/dL
BUN: 20 6-20 mg/dL
eGFR(non-Afr-Amer): >60 mL/min
BUN/CR ratio: 18 7-25
Potassium: 4.1 3.3-5.1 mmol/
Carbon Dioxide: 27 22-29 mmol/L
Anion Gap: 11 7-16 mmol/L
Calcium: 9.4 8.6-10.2 mg/dL
Total Protein: 7.1 6.6-8.7 g/dL
Albumin: 4.5 3.4-4.8 g/dL
Globulin: 2.6 2.4-3.5 g/dL
Total Bilirubin: 0.2 0.0-1.0 mg/dL
Alk Phosphatase 42 40-129 U/L
ALT (SGPT): 32 0-41 U/L
AST (SGOT): 23 0-37 U/L

Lipid Profile

Cholesterol: 187 0-200 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 189 0-150 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol: 34 40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol: 115 0-99 mg/dL
LDL/HDL ratio: 3.39 0.00-3.05 mg/dL

Total Test: 505.8 280-800 ng/dL

My total Test has gone from 218 to 506 on two pumps of Androgel 1.62. The gel is definitely doing something. I was able to go from three lifting days a week to five. My recovery time is much better. I’ve definitely put on some muscle mass that wasn’t going on before. I don’t think it’s doing anything to help with my weight.

I put on four pounds and weighed in at 241 this morning. I seriously doubt I put on four pounds of muscle mass. Other than the better recovery time, I don’t feel any different. My libido is still in the toilet. I convinced my Endo that because of my high BMI, it was likely I was aromatizing the Test at a high rate.

He tested me for E2, Free Test and Total Test on Tuesday. I meet with him on Monday to discuss those results. Should I be looking for anything else? If my E2 is okay, I think I must accept that I have an incredibly slow metabolism and exercise doesn’t seem to do much to increase it.

I got the first two test results back. The first is before any treatment, and the second from a little more than two months later after a regimen of two pumps of Androgel 1.62 per day. Both tests were done first thing in the morning after a 12 hour fast and no meds or treatments.

Labs from 03/29/12
General Chemistries

Glucose: 91 75-110 mg/dL
BUN: 13 6-20 mg/dL
BUN/CR ratio: 12 7-25
Potassium: 4.0 3.3-5.1 mmol/
Carbon Dioxide: 28 22-29 mmol/L
Anion Gap: 10 7-16 mmol/L
Calcium: 9.8 8.6-10.2 mg/dL
Total Protein: 7.3 6.6-8.7 g/dL
Albumin: 4.6 3.4-4.8 g/dL
Globulin: 2.7 2.4-3.5 g/dL
Total Bilirubin: 0.3 0.0-1.0 mg/dL
Alk Phosphatase 49 40-129 U/L
ALT (SGPT): 23 0-41 U/L
AST (SGOT): 22 0-37 U/L

Lipid Profile

Cholesterol: 199 0-200 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 219 0-150 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol: 35 40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol: 120 0-99 mg/dL
LDL/HDL ratio: 3.43 0.00-3.05 mg/dL

C-peptide: 3.17 1.1-4.4 ng/mL
Cortisol A.M.: 15.640 6.2-19.4 ug/dL

Free T3: 2.83 2.0-4.4 pg/mL
Free T4: 1.160 0.900-1.700 ng/dL

TSH: 1.560 0.270-4.200 uU/mL
Anti Thyrogl. Ab: <11 0-115 iU/mL
Anti TPO Ab.: <6 0-34 iU/mL
Free Test: 5.2 5.0-21.0 ng/dL
Bioavail Test: 129.1 L 130-680 ng/dL
Test: 218.4 L 280-800 ng/dL
SHBG: 20.38 13.66-93.20 nmol/L

Labs from 6/7/12
General Chemistries

Glucose: 96 75-110 mg/dL
BUN: 20 6-20 mg/dL
BUN/CR ratio: 18 7-25
Potassium: 4.1 3.3-5.1 mmol/
Carbon Dioxide: 27 22-29 mmol/L
Anion Gap: 11 7-16 mmol/L
Calcium: 9.4 8.6-10.2 mg/dL
Total Protein: 7.1 6.6-8.7 g/dL
Albumin: 4.5 3.4-4.8 g/dL
Globulin: 2.6 2.4-3.5 g/dL
Total Bilirubin: 0.2 0.0-1.0 mg/dL
Alk Phosphatase 42 40-129 U/L
ALT (SGPT): 32 0-41 U/L
AST (SGOT): 23 0-37 U/L

Lipid Profile

Cholesterol: 187 0-200 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 189 0-150 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol: 34 40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol: 115 0-99 mg/dL
LDL/HDL ratio: 3.39 0.00-3.05 mg/dL

Total Test: 505.8 280-800 ng/dL

So my TT has gone from 218 to 506 on two pumps of Androgel 1.62 per day. It’s definitely doing something. My recovery time is much better. I was able to go from three lifting days per week to five. I’ve put on some muscle mass that simply would not go on before. I put on four pounds and weighed in at 241 today. I don’t think it’s possible that I put on four pounds of lean mass. So I don’t think this is helping at all with my weight loss. I convinced my Endo that because of my high BMI, I might be aromatizing the Test at a high rate. He tested me last week for E2, Free T and TT. I’ll find out those results on Monday. Can anybody think of anything else I should be looking at? If those numbers seem in line, I think I just have to accept that I have a slow metabolism and that exercise doesn’t do much to increase it.

T Replacement is not a magic bullet…if oyu are not eating properly and not doing some sort of cardio, you will likely not lose weight…

Check that E2 for sure.

With you body composition and elevated Triglycerides, metabolic syndrome, this was me about a year ago. I went low carbohydrate / high fat, lost a lot of weight and my lipid numbers look great. Of course along with my injections 2x/week .5ml I also on Metformin, Armor Thyroid and a half a tablet of anastrazole every three days.

And without Tricor my triglycerides were in the 900s. With Tricor 220 and now below 100.

Free T3 and T4 are less than desirable…

Looking over your diet, exercise and test #'s, I see your problem clearly as metabolic syndrome.
Your fasting glucose, while not technically high, is too high. With your muscle mass, Androgel and activity level you should be able to eat and burn off way more than 1800 calories per day.
I was in a similar situation as you, low T, working out hard as hell, watching every calorie, and living low carb religiously…same results. The magic bullet for me was mentioned above, metformin, and a change in diet.
Search metformin in the forums, and read every thing about it. If your doc isn’t on board its cheap to get from alldaychemist. Also, read the following 2 articles by TC Luoma…Good Luck!
A New Way to Eat - Part 1
A New Way to Eat - Part 1

low carb diet and maybe adding metformin later could help you lose weight and lower those triglyerides. Metabolic syndrome which has already been mentioned sounds on the money. What i have mentioned has helped me lose 20kg. I found the metformin has good effects on reducing apetitte.

good luck.

the extra weight is also an indicator that your E2 is high, i used arimidex for 12 months which also helped me to lose weight, especially around t h e guts. Once my weight came down so did my E2 and know longer need arimidex.

So I went back to the Endo to see how my new tests came out. I don’t have the sheet with me (I’ll try to get it in the next few days), but I remember the important numbers. My E2 was 28.6, my TT was all the way back down to 238, and my FT was just barely into the lowest range of normal. So after several months on two pumps a day of of Androgel 1.62 I went from a starting point of 218, to 505 and back to 238. I jumped in to the conversation with the doctor to give my opinion that I either stopped absorbing or my natural production had finally stopped. Just when I thought he was going to tell me to double the dose of Androgel to four pumps a day and start shelling out $95 a month for the privilege, he shocked my by suggesting that I go on 100mg a week of Depo Test. I didn’t even ask for it. I managed to get through my shock and began to tout the benefits of the Test, HCG, AI protocol. He seemed very interested. Since I’m primary and not planning on having kids, I didn’t push to hard for the HCG. He was very aware that HCG is often given in conjunction with the Test, which impressed me. Since my E2 was so in-line on this test, I didn’t push much for the AI. I’m so happy that he went so easily to injectables that I didn’t want to push it. I’ll investigate both later if it seems they would be beneficial.

What I’d like to say to everybody here is that he was very impressed with my knowledge on the topics we discussed. The vast majority of my knowledge has come from reading what has been posted on this site. I have a strong suspicion that he decided to go with the injectables so easily due on his comfort level with my knowledge on the topic and in-tune enough with my body that it’s a good bet that I will take this very seriously to help turn my health around. His nurse had told me two months ago that the doctor does not prescribe injectable T. He began his practice in 1973, so it’s very possible he’s been set in his ways for a long time. I have to give him credit for being more aware of current thinking on treating hypogonadism. Still, if I didn’t have the vocabulary that I gained here, I doubt this prescription would have been offered and I’d have been stuck with the gel. Thanks to everybody here for your efforts. I look forward to sharing my progress with the group.

sweet

That is great! Looking forward to seeing how things turn out for you.

I go for my first T-Cyp shot on Friday, been on the gel for a while with, well, lame results. I sweat the gel off like crazy after application (literally dripping it off). Looking forward to the shots.