4 Years In and Frustrated

For 38 weeks of 5/3/1, those numbers are very, very low…

-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, other macros as needed (don’t neglect fats!)… You’re not fat so make sure you eat enough to gain weight… You’re way too light for anything else, no way to get seriously strong and look like much unless you get quite a bit heavier.

-5/3/1 is fine if you pick the right parameter table for each of your lifts… But 5/3/1 is only the set/rep/weight scheme for a few of your exercises… What about the rest? Assistance templates like Boring But Big are imo crap for bbing. Just getting strong on 4 main lifts total and then doing some super light weight high rep stuff with little progression on barely a handful of other exercises is not a great way to end up looking seriously impressive (and putting up serious poundages across the board).

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, other macros as needed (don’t neglect fats!)… You’re not fat so make sure you eat enough to gain weight… You’re way too light for anything else, no way to get seriously strong and look like much unless you get quite a bit heavier.

-5/3/1 is fine if you pick the right parameter table for each of your lifts… But 5/3/1 is only the set/rep/weight scheme for a few of your exercises… What about the rest? Assistance templates like Boring But Big are imo crap for bbing. Just getting strong on 4 main lifts total and then doing some super light weight high rep stuff with little progression on barely a handful of other exercises is not a great way to end up looking seriously impressive (and putting up serious poundages across the board).
[/quote]

I was in two minds whether to post a reply to this because I didn’t want to divert OP’s productive thread.

Hi C_C, I’ve purchased a copy of 5/3/1 recently and incorporating assistance exercises that were more BB focused was one area I was keen to understand. I have not read all of Jim’s variations featured in the book yet but was eager to ask your opinion on what exercises and rep ranges were better. If you could suggest some pointers, I’d be grateful (In the meantime I’ll go read deeper into sections of the book). Thank you.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[/quote]

I was in two minds whether to post a reply to this because I didn’t want to divert OP’s productive thread.

Hi C_C, I’ve purchased a copy of 5/3/1 recently and incorporating assistance exercises that were more BB focused was one area I was keen to understand. I have not read all of Jim’s variations featured in the book yet but was eager to ask your opinion on what exercises and rep ranges were better. If you could suggest some pointers, I’d be grateful (In the meantime I’ll go read deeper into sections of the book). Thank you.[/quote]

x2

I was kind of unimpressed with the assistance choices in the 5/3/1 program. Anyone questioning this always gets replies like “don’t worry about it, its just assistance”. I say if its taking more than half your workout its at least just as important as the main lift.

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]law8 wrote:
I have been training for a year and a half but this is kinda freaky in that it describes me down to a tee.My stats and height are nearly identical to the op.I ‘know’ what the right thing to do is thanks to a few guys on this website but lately Ive slipped a bit into yoyo dieting.Im 20 now and dont what to look back in a few years on wasted oppurtunity.Ok rant over but thanks T-Nation for keeping me focused.[/quote]

Crazy idea.

Set up some friendly competition with the OP. Hopefully would motivate you both onto new gains?

[/quote]

That would be pretty cool. Law, if your game, post some pics up and compare them to the OP. We can use this thread to motivate you both to stay the course![/quote]

I think that is a great idea!If the Op is ok with it I will post some pics up later on this evening.I will say this though that the Op’s arms and chest look kinda better than mine but I dont mind getting bashed if that means I progess more.

Point of Post:
I’m frustrated and I need direction.

1.) What is a respectable looking weight at 6’3’'?
2.) How heavy should I get before cutting to that “respectable weight”? (20-30 lbs over?)
3.) Approximately how long should I appropriate for cutting. (I’ve cut too quickly in the past)
4.) Any suggested literature on diet/conditioning?
5.) Am I asking the wrong questions? If so which questions should I be asking?
6.) Any suggestions will be appreciated.
[/quote]

I’m 6ft3 and weigh just over 245 at a shade under 20% bf. Is that a ‘respectable’ weight? Well to the average untrained person on the street, I was ‘big’ when I was a lean 195. So to the same people now I am ‘really big’ and get comments like that all the time. HOWEVER since you are posting in a bodybuilding forum I would assume and hope that you are not judging yourself, nor want to be judged, by the standards of the ‘average’ person. Bearing this in mind, I think that a weight over 250 (and relatively lean) would be at the very beginning of the respectable range, for someone of our height. The simple fact is that it takes a ton of muscle to fill out a 6ft 3 frame most people think 250 is a huge weight, but on 6ft3 it does not look particularly impressive by bodybuilding standards. I will not be happy with my physique until I am significantly heavier at a lower bf % than i currently have.

To address your other questions. If you are serious about getting big than you should not be worrying about ‘cutting’ at this point. Also if I was you I would avoid ‘literature’ about cutting right now, (and perhaps altogether). If after four years all you have to show for it is 197lbs and some really below par lifts, then I would suggest that what you are currently doing is not working and is in fact completely wrong. This doesn’t mean going out and confusing yourself with a new program. It sounds to me like you need to uncomplicate what you are doing and ‘think’ less. Just get into the gym and work hard four or five days a week, and keep eating until your strength and weight start increasing. This is what has worked for me so far and I wager is what has worked for every person who has ever put on a large amount of muscle.

[quote]law8 wrote:

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]law8 wrote:
I have been training for a year and a half but this is kinda freaky in that it describes me down to a tee.My stats and height are nearly identical to the op.I ‘know’ what the right thing to do is thanks to a few guys on this website but lately Ive slipped a bit into yoyo dieting.Im 20 now and dont what to look back in a few years on wasted oppurtunity.Ok rant over but thanks T-Nation for keeping me focused.[/quote]

Crazy idea.

Set up some friendly competition with the OP. Hopefully would motivate you both onto new gains?

[/quote]

That would be pretty cool. Law, if your game, post some pics up and compare them to the OP. We can use this thread to motivate you both to stay the course![/quote]

I think that is a great idea!If the Op is ok with it I will post some pics up later on this evening.I will say this though that the Op’s arms and chest look kinda better than mine but I dont mind getting bashed if that means I progess more.[/quote]

I too am 6ft3, roughly 200 lbs. I’d like to join this friendly competition. I’ve been lifting (seriously) for a few years. I trained for MMA so I was always lean and never looked like I lifted till I had no shirt on, and my hawt abz were out. For the last 3 or 4 months I’ve been trying to get bigger. I gained 25-ish lbs with a few minor set backs (Sick :frowning: ). My goal is 220 lean, with a low bf pct. I am a personal trainer, but am also in the process of starting my own gym/business. Lifting everyday is doable, but not probable. I need to gain the weight relatively lean, as I do need to stay a “fitness icon”, as gay as that may be.

My diet sucks in terms of my goal (I eat everything, and can’t stop). My immediate goals is keep my torso (which is short for 6ft3) lean, while adding mass to my lanky limbs. Will post pics and stats if you guys really wanna keep track!

[quote]NorseFire wrote:
I am not sure about what I said that didn’t make sense: lift, eat, rest, grow?[/quote]

Itâ??s not that what you have written is â??wrongâ??, what you have written is technically correct, almost as if it was copied out of a textbook. The fact is you seem to be entirely missing the key point.

The problem in my opinion and as has already been spelt out several times is the constant bulking up and cutting down cycles. The OP has even acknowledged that these always leave him with no weight change. Baring this in mind, are you starting to see how I do not think your advice is anything more than what youâ??ve read or heard?

I will give you some examples:

[quote]You also said that you are eating out at buffets a lot, buffet food although good for putting on sheer weight, isn’t the healthiest or most beneficial food to the bodybuilder (IMO anyway) and could perhaps be the reason for your “skinny fat” look.[/quote] â?? To a kid that is clearly skinny, why would you tell him to avoid easy calories? Furthermore, the reason to his skinny fat look is most definitely NOT cause of eating out at a buffet, i mean COME ON! The reason for him being skinny fat is because he has no muscle and keeps going round in circl

[quote]its a necessity to succeed in BB.[/quote] .â??- Things like this really grate on me too! You give advice as if you are a pro BB, but then a few threads down you have a thread just like this asking for help?

Yes it is this obvious that you have read every article on this site and just repeated them here. This is what I mean by â??real life experienceâ??.

Sorry for the rant guys!

Don’t apologize. So far, you are saving me time typing the same shit. That is why it irks me that people who are still not muscular feel that regurgitating what they read somewhere counts as equal to advice from people who have actually gained a lot of muscle. They can’t tell the difference between bullshit advice and advice that is spot on because they haven’t been there. They just HOPE what they read is right so they can act like they know it too.

I like this Shontayne guy.

Shontayne, Just curious do you have any real pictures of yourself?

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

Gotcha, so you must have real world experience too? Unless you’re the American linebacker from Defranco’s Strong.

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

Gotcha, so you must have real world experience too? Unless you’re the American linebacker from Defranco’s Strong. [/quote]

LOL. In no way am i trying to pass myself off as Brian Cushing. There are photos in my hub.

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

Gotcha, so you must have real world experience too? Unless you’re the American linebacker from Defranco’s Strong. [/quote]

Ooops. I thought that was him.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

[/quote]

Assuming sarcasm?

I can PM you a picture Darkane if you wish as I am aware my hub is set to private.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

[/quote]

Assuming sarcasm?

I can PM you a picture Darkane if you wish as I am aware my hub is set to private.
[/quote]

I’ve been following this thread and am interested as well. Could you post it here?

Edit: I don’t watch football and thought your avatar was you.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

[/quote]

Assuming sarcasm?

[/quote]

No sarcasm. I don’t know who that guy is and just found out.

From the pic Shontayne sent me, he definitely isn’t small.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

[/quote]

Assuming sarcasm?

[/quote]

No sarcasm. I don’t know who that guy is and just found out.

[/quote]

I have PM’d all three of you a picture. I never meant for people to think I was Brian Cushing (my profile pic), just somebody I admire.

[quote]Moses29 wrote:
Background:
I’m a senior in college (21yo). I’ve been weight lifting for 4 years (starting at 155lbs), and I’ve been following 5/3/1 successfully for 38 weeks. Currently I’m 6’3’’ and up to 197 lbs. My body holds weight on my sides and lower abdominals. I can see my upper abdominals. I’ve always been skinny but never ripped. In the past I’ve “bulked up and cut down”… always ending up the same weight and skinny fat.

Goals:
Be decently strong and look like I lift weights. = (Strong + low body fat %)

Current Lifts:
Squat: 260x5
Deadlift: 315x7
Bench: 215x6
Over Head Press: 140x8

Point of Post:
I’m frustrated and I need direction.

1.) What is a respectable looking weight at 6’3’'?
2.) How heavy should I get before cutting to that “respectable weight”? (20-30 lbs over?)
3.) Approximately how long should I appropriate for cutting. (I’ve cut too quickly in the past)
4.) Any suggested literature on diet/conditioning?
5.) Am I asking the wrong questions? If so which questions should I be asking?
6.) Any suggestions will be appreciated.
[/quote]

IMO you dont resemble the typical skinny-fat kid. you “look like you lift” but not like a bodybuilder