T Nation

4 Weeks Training for DL Competition

Hey everyone,

Dont usually post here as all my training is BBing related, but as a challenge for myself i recently decided to train for a deadlift competition for charity on may 4th.

i talked to my friend who posts here and he told me to do multiple doubles/triples sets at around 80-85 percent of last max. he also told me to add a 2nd day where i do 70 percent for triples, for multiple sets

i really know jack about strength training so im hoping you guys can give me some suggestions?

How many doubles/triples should i do at 85 percent on my main day?

on my 2nd deadlift day should i add in some deficit reads?

how should i adress training my grip and training my core for this?

i really have no idea if im weak at the bottom or the top of the lift as i rarely ever do maxes-- usually i just deadlift last on back day where i usually just do a hard set of 10

Prilepin’s Chart

surprized no one else gave any more info

today i did 7 sets of 3 at about 75 percent of last done max, then i did 3 sets of block pulls. everything felt really smooth

saturday will have more deeds probably doubles at 85 percent for multiple sets

In reality 4 weeks isn’t enough time to make any appreciable strength gains. With 4 weeks, your best option in my opinion is to have someone critique your form and work on your weakest link.

Where do you fail on heavy attempts? What kind of weight are you moving? Is grip a factor?

[quote]frankjl wrote:
In reality 4 weeks isn’t enough time to make any appreciable strength gains. With 4 weeks, your best option in my opinion is to have someone critique your form and work on your weakest link.

Where do you fail on heavy attempts? What kind of weight are you moving? Is grip a factor?[/quote]

seems like im weakest at the top

yeah i agree 4 weeks isnt a large amount of time- but before i started this i knew almost nothing about PL training, so id figured id get some suggestions

the P chart was actually a big help!

Some people have made good deadlift gains running smolov jr apparently. It’s three weeks long.

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
Some people have made good deadlift gains running smolov jr apparently. It’s three weeks long.[/quote]
thanks for suggestion, but doing that would get in the way of bbing training too much. I thought of that as well

im only going for a measly 200 kg pull–but it will be a PR for my skinny ass

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
Some people have made good deadlift gains running smolov jr apparently. It’s three weeks long.[/quote]
thanks for suggestion, but doing that would get in the way of bbing training too much. I thought of that as well

im only going for a measly 200 kg pull–but it will be a PR for my skinny ass[/quote]

Running a 3 week strength program will not make you smaller. It might even jumpstart your size gains, who knows? Something to think about.

And Ill second the suggestion to check your form. Only way you are gonna add significant weight to your pull in 4 weeks is by that route.

[quote]mkral55 wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
Some people have made good deadlift gains running smolov jr apparently. It’s three weeks long.[/quote]
thanks for suggestion, but doing that would get in the way of bbing training too much. I thought of that as well

im only going for a measly 200 kg pull–but it will be a PR for my skinny ass[/quote]

Running a 3 week strength program will not make you smaller. It might even jumpstart your size gains, who knows? Something to think about.

And Ill second the suggestion to check your form. Only way you are gonna add significant weight to your pull in 4 weeks is by that route. [/quote]
i know it wont make me smaller, but im a competitive bodybuilder so i need as much time as possible with hypertrophy training— im also planning to compete soon that is really my focus

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]mkral55 wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
Some people have made good deadlift gains running smolov jr apparently. It’s three weeks long.[/quote]
thanks for suggestion, but doing that would get in the way of bbing training too much. I thought of that as well

im only going for a measly 200 kg pull–but it will be a PR for my skinny ass[/quote]

Running a 3 week strength program will not make you smaller. It might even jumpstart your size gains, who knows? Something to think about.

And Ill second the suggestion to check your form. Only way you are gonna add significant weight to your pull in 4 weeks is by that route. [/quote]
i know it wont make me smaller, but im a competitive bodybuilder so i need as much time as possible with hypertrophy training— im also planning to compete soon that is really my focus[/quote]

This is just a suggestion, but would this work for you?

Day 1: Speed pulls + Lats, Traps, Rear delts.

Day 2: Chest and Triceps or Biceps.

Day 3: ME DL + Quads, Hams, Calves.

Day 4: Front/Mid Delts and Triceps or Biceps.

Since you only have four weeks, the ME progression could go like this:

Week 1-2: Build up to singles at 85-95% of your 1rm in DL.

Week 3: No heavier than a single @ 85%.

Week 4: Meet.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]mkral55 wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
Some people have made good deadlift gains running smolov jr apparently. It’s three weeks long.[/quote]
thanks for suggestion, but doing that would get in the way of bbing training too much. I thought of that as well

im only going for a measly 200 kg pull–but it will be a PR for my skinny ass[/quote]

Running a 3 week strength program will not make you smaller. It might even jumpstart your size gains, who knows? Something to think about.

And Ill second the suggestion to check your form. Only way you are gonna add significant weight to your pull in 4 weeks is by that route. [/quote]
i know it wont make me smaller, but im a competitive bodybuilder so i need as much time as possible with hypertrophy training— im also planning to compete soon that is really my focus[/quote]

This is just a suggestion, but would this work for you?

Day 1: Speed pulls + Lats, Traps, Rear delts.

Day 2: Chest and Triceps or Biceps.

Day 3: ME DL + Quads, Hams, Calves.

Day 4: Front/Mid Delts and Triceps or Biceps.

Since you only have four weeks, the ME progression could go like this:

Week 1-2: Build up to singles at 85-95% of your 1rm in DL.

Week 3: No heavier than a single @ 85%.

Week 4: Meet.

[/quote]

thanks for the suggestion

what im doing is not too much different- but no max effort DL day. My friend who is a national champ advised me to stick to pulling triples in the 70-75 percent range and doubles around the 85 percent range

so basically today my “back” day consisted of 9 sets of doubles with a weight that was over 85 percent but not 90 percent. this actually felt very productive—

the other day where i do the triples is my 2nd leg day. (training legs 2x a week because my legs suuuuuuck)

im very interested to see how this will work out as ive really neglected the deadlift over my short time training. ( i always trained it like a fool got injured and had to quit for months at a time, or just neglected it to focus on other stuff)

^ Okay and cool that you have such an accomplished friend.

Good luck with the meet and I hope you do well :slight_smile:

[quote]florelius wrote:
^ Okay and cool that you have such an accomplished friend.

Good luck with the meet and I hope you do well :)[/quote]

he used to post here a lot actually i think his name here was dforner22 or something

he just won the Jr class at CPU nationals-- i thnk he is going the IPF worlds sometime in the future.

dunno if this will post or not

but i pulled 200 kg , which was my goal.

if it doesnt post here ill make sure to get the video up later today/tonight. wouldnt mind some pointers with form. 200 kg isnt a good pull, but im pretty happy because for years i could NOT figure out how todeadlift without severely injuring myself!

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
dunno if this will post or not

but i pulled 200 kg , which was my goal.

if it doesnt post here ill make sure to get the video up later today/tonight. wouldnt mind some pointers with form. 200 kg isnt a good pull, but im pretty happy because for years i could NOT figure out how todeadlift without severely injuring myself![/quote]

Dude that didn’t look bad at all. It looks as though you started out with your shoulders over the bar, and it didn’t appear as though you “pulled the slack out” of the bar before you started. Also, that may have been interpreted as a hitch at the top. Be careful with that. Onwards to 501