T Nation

4-Week Workout Plan Designed to Put on Mass

Hey guys,

So I’ve been lifting on and off for 5 years now. I’m over 6’2", just shy of 180 pounds (check out the photo of me if you feel comfortable enough with your sexuality ;)). However, in the next 4 weeks I’d like to put on 4 kilos - that’s between 8-9 pounds for all you Americans :slight_smile: I can go into “why” if you’d like, but I’d prefer if you guys could instead suggest a neat 4-week program you think will help me reach that goal.

Obviously, the most important thing is to eat A LOT, but I’d also like to follow a workout regimen that isn’t gonna have me burning unnecessary calories or doing too many isolation/body building exercises - even if that means not all of those 4kgs I put on is pure muscle :slight_smile:

Any suggestions would be mighty appreciated

Starting strength and gallon of milk a day could get you where you want to go depending on your current stats, what are your current numbers in the big lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, press, clean)?

Can you be more specific with regards what you mean by ‘on and off for the last five years?’

How have you been eating recently? If you haven’t been eating to bulk upping your calories could easilly shock your body into adding that weight, it’ll only work for a short time but you’re only doing it for a short time.

Out of curiousity, why 4kilos particularly, espeically give you don’t seem to care if some of it is fat?

[quote]dubdevil89 wrote:
So I’ve been lifting on and off for 5 years now. I’m over 6’2", just shy of 180 pounds [/quote]

BBB of 5/3/1
GOMAD
Your welcome

[quote]dubdevil89 wrote:
in the next 4 weeks I’d like to put on 4 kilos - that’s between 8-9 pounds for all you Americans :slight_smile: I can go into “why” if you’d like[/quote]
I would very much like to know why you’re aiming for such relatively-big gains in a short time span.

It won’t be.

Food:

Workout Nutrition:
Before and during training - Surge Recovery or Anaconda and MAG-10. If we’re just concerned with “weighing 10 pounds more”, creatine would be a good addition.

Training:
High-rep breathing squats, 2-3 days a week -

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]dubdevil89 wrote:
in the next 4 weeks I’d like to put on 4 kilos - that’s between 8-9 pounds for all you Americans :slight_smile: I can go into “why” if you’d like[/quote]
I would very much like to know why you’re aiming for such relatively-big gains in a short time span.

It won’t be.

Food:

Workout Nutrition:
Before and during training - Surge Recovery or Anaconda and MAG-10. If we’re just concerned with “weighing 10 pounds more”, creatine would be a good addition.

Training:
High-rep breathing squats, 2-3 days a week -

[/quote]

Thanks for the links.

Liked the articles on the food. Gave me some motivation to get out there and eat whatever I can get my hands on!

Don’t like back squatting though - not since I tweaked my lower back doing them. Front squats, on the other hand, I can get behind…

Any other ideas for a workout regimen?

[quote]dubdevil89 wrote:
Don’t like back squatting though - not since I tweaked my lower back doing them. Front squats, on the other hand, I can get behind…
[/quote]

learn how to do them properly. Then learn to love them

It’s been brought to my attention that I never updated you all on how I got on.

Well, I’m now over 85kg (188 lbs) - nearly 4kg heavier when I started - and I put that mainly down to one simple thing: eating more :slight_smile:

Funnily enough, the whole reason why I wanted to pile on the weight on in such a short time frame was because I was then going travelling in the good old US of A. Usually I, unlike most people, lose weight when I’m on holidays, so I was trying to add some pounds so that I could afford to shed a few on holidays.

The irony is, though, that I probably gained most of those 5kg when I was on holiday - guess all those hamburgers and pastrami sandwiches did the trick!

Thanks for the advice folks