T Nation

$4 Squat Box and Platform

So I went to the Home Depot to get some lumber and such to make myself a new 16" box for box squats and a 4" rasied platform to do elevated DL’s from. While gathering my good I hit the gold mine. I ended up getting both pre done for $4.

They had/have 4"x8"x16" solid concrete blocks. So I Bought 4 of them @ $1 each. With just these four I get a 4" raised platform to pull from by putting them side by side. By Stacking them I have an 8" 12", and 16" SOLID box to squat onto. They had the same dimension in 2" thickness as well so you could adjsut the box In 2" increments as well.

Just thought some of you that w/o at home or in a gym that would allow it might find this usefull.

Not very mobile, but Solid, and versatile.

awesome, exactly what I’ve been looking for

Phill - when you stack them do they move around at all or is it pretty stable?

also, make sure they’re capable of withstanding those massive deadlift loads, that could be some horrible stuff if that concrete crumbles while you’re pulling a couple hundred pounds :slight_smile:

[quote]Phill wrote:
So I went to the Home Depot to get some lumber and such to make myself a new 16" box for box squats and a 4" rasied platform to do elevated DL’s from. While gathering my good I hit the gold mine. I ended up getting both pre done for $4.

They had/have 4"x8"x16" solid concrete blocks. So I Bought 4 of them @ $1 each. With just these four I get a 4" raised platform to pull from by putting them side by side. By Stacking them I have an 8" 12", and 16" SOLID box to squat onto. They had the same dimension in 2" thickness as well so you could adjsut the box In 2" increments as well.

Just thought some of you that w/o at home or in a gym that would allow it might find this usefull.

Not very mobile, but Solid, and versatile.[/quote]

I stacked some to do my hip belt squats off of. If you should want to stick them together there is an adhesive that hold them together for like $12 a tube.

Places like Lowes/Home Depot are awesome for the do-it your-selfers when it comes to making equipment.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
also, make sure they’re capable of withstanding those massive deadlift loads, that could be some horrible stuff if that concrete crumbles while you’re pulling a couple hundred pounds :-)[/quote]

I really don’t think anyone has to worry about transfering enough pressure through their chucks to have worry about shattering concrete

if you wanted to glue them together some liquid nails would accomplish this good enough.

Paul, no they dont move around very easily and are stable. Now sure if your fumbling all oer the place etc. then you could knock them over I suppose but then IMO you are using a weight that is to high for your capability to handle.

As far as breaking them from DL’s NA If that was the case I would have huge holes in the concrete floor. These things are solid, not hollow. I dont think it should be a prob. I’ll let you know however.