4 Reasons Why I Won't Buy Vista

Vista is bloated

It runs slower than XP

any day now Windows is coming out with Service Pack 3 for XP

Bill Gates is going to release another OS in a year and a half, maybe sooner (Windows 7)

When SP3 for XP comes out you’ll have an OS that runs better than Vista. Plus Vista will be nudged aside by Windows 7, so why waste money on Vista when you have the lauded XP system?

http://www.dancewithshadows.com/tech/microsoft-os-windows7.asp

I used Vista at work without any problems, though I agree that XP runs miles better, and 2000 even more so.

My main gripe against Vista that turned me against it in home use is that when it crashed, my illegal serial stopped working and so I decided to go back to XP. :slight_smile:

SP3 for XP came out today.

Vista = Windows ME

I am still rocking XP with no complaints.

Vista came with my laptop that I purchased after the holidays. It needed a memory upgrade and now it flies. 32-bit Vista may not recognize 4GB of memory should you decide to upgrade to that. I’ve read some systems will recognize 3.5 GB or some other fraction. 64-bit Vista (Business?) may recognize all 4 GB of memory, enabling your system to fly as well.

All of this to say if I had my choice, I’d be using XP, but since I didn’t have a choice let’s work with the wonderful crap that is Vista.

What exactly do you guys do with computers that you even care what OS you run? I barely notice a difference between any of them, as long as the hardware has enough horses to run it.

I won’t buy it simply because XP does everything I need it to do. All new games run fine on XP, so therefore I have no need for Vista.

I have to use vista on my laptop to get the fingerprint reader and touch screen to work, and its faster than the xp on my computer. That might also be because its got 2x the ram.

I just saw this fix for Vista… Apple Store Online - Apple

You’ll never have Vista issues ever again!

My comp came with Vista.

Vista was a let down. I prefer XP, but I’m too lazy to change it.

I got vista x64 for free. I have no issues with it. Everything runs fast and compatibility is not an issue like it was in xp. Other than BSOD’s I’ve caused (NOT windows fault in any way), I don’t crash, not once. I’ve been running vista for a year now.

If you have a computer and you’re running a single core cpu and a gig of ram, upgrade. 4 gigs of ddr2 is as low as 70 bucks and fast CPUs are cheap too (e7200 for 130 that’ll run 4.0ghz+ will little effort).

I guess its hard to compare performance under xp and vista when I’m running what most would consider overkill. I guess my point is, fast systems, overkill for most, are avaliable and cheap. Why bitch, get a faster system.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
I got vista x64 for free. [/quote]

No you didn’t.

hintoverheadhint

The only people who bitch about Vista are people who didn’t upgrade their hardware as suggested, too lazy to bother to learn, or know very little about computers in general.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum, but seriously with the right hardware Vista is twice as reliable and faster than XP. I switched to Vista over a year ago on all seven of my machines and I will never go back to XP. Now granted I don’t pay for software… but still.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Synthetickiller wrote:
I got vista x64 for free.

No you didn’t.

hintoverheadhint[/quote]

What overhead?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
The only people who bitch about Vista are people who didn’t upgrade their hardware as suggested, too lazy to bother to learn, or know very little about computers in general.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum, but seriously with the right hardware Vista is twice as reliable and faster than XP. I switched to Vista over a year ago on all seven of my machines and I will never go back to XP. Now granted I don’t pay for software… but still.[/quote]

I agree with what you have to say, especially about stability, but Vista is slower than xp in all benchmarks. Just google vista vs xp. Don’t take my word for it.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum, but seriously with the right hardware Vista is twice as reliable and faster than XP. I switched to Vista over a year ago on all seven of my machines and I will never go back to XP. Now granted I don’t pay for software… but still.

I agree with what you have to say, especially about stability, but Vista is slower than xp in all benchmarks. Just google vista vs xp. Don’t take my word for it.[/quote]

The problem with those benchmark tests is they test the OS’s on “equal” machines. Microsoft made it very clear that Vista requires higher horsepower. So you cannot run the tests on “equal” machines and expect equal results. A high-end Vista rig will be faster than the traditional high-end XP rig, or at least just as fast. It will certainly not be slower.

Eengrms76 is correct about the speed comparison.

It is hard to compare the OS’s speed, but Vista does use more memory. Today’s computers with Vista would destroy a computer with XP from a few years back. This is simply because they are just so much faster.

Vista is a hell of a lot more secure. They basically rewrote all of the code for it. This is why it took so long for them to release Vista and why it is more secure.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum, but seriously with the right hardware Vista is twice as reliable and faster than XP. I switched to Vista over a year ago on all seven of my machines and I will never go back to XP. Now granted I don’t pay for software… but still.[/quote]

I’m too tired at the moment to tell you why I cannot go along with this statement. I will say that I’ve had just about zero stability issues since the second service pack of Windows 2000 which I still view as the best MS OS ever. At least in the hands of experienced users.

To be honest, in using Vista on the same machine for a year and a half doing heavy graphic work, it never crashed on me once so stability was never an issue.

I do agree with Tirib about 2000 being one of the best versions ever though.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

OH really?

I’ve supported Vista for a few different companies/accounts. It’s security is horribly bloated and makes daily use a complete pain. VPN compatibility issues stare you in the face. It requires twice the hardware to run well. The average user can’t navigate all the security issues to install and/or run many applications.

VISTA is still “not supported” by many companies for it’s employees. I’m with a company that has about 235,000 employees (not sure how many computers). All, VISTA computers are reimaged with XP.