4 Months on 5/3/1: Results, Lessons Learned, and Going Forward!

I just finished my 3rd 7 week cycle (Two 3 week waves, with 1 deload after) and it has been nothing but constant progress. I did 1 cycle of Boring But Big, 1 Cycle of Pyramid, with BBB and Joker sets (read way too much into the program here, did too much and probably set myself back a bit), then my last cycle was First Set Last for 3 sets of 5 with some random accessory work thrown in. This is my Progress in 1RM, I have also hit a lot of rep PR’s on my +sets First Test was on 28 November 2014, Weights now are from this week.

Press: 155 ----> 165
Bench: 225 ----> 250
Squat: 315 ----> 375
Deadlift: 400 ----> 450

Some things I have noticed, and going forward:

• My press is my slowest moving lift, probably because I do them on Monday, and I just cant seem to get comfortable.

• My bench responds best to more frequency, when I was doing BBB I was doing 5 sets of 10 bench on Mondays after my press, on top of my bench day on Thursdays. During the first cycle I added 20 pounds on my bench, only added 5 pounds for the next 2 cycles. I’m going to throw in an extra bench day from now on.

• I switched from high bar to low bar after the first cycle and am finally comfortable there. I am currently a very quad dominant squatter, and am just now learning how to get my butt and hamstrings into it.

• For deadlift as I build my hamstring strength this is going to climb faster. I cleaned my setup a lot, and am now pulling with a very narrow stance to prevent my knock knees from bowing. If I can break the weight off the floor, I am going to lock it out, so hamstrings play a vital role for me here.

• Going forward I am going to stay with the First set last for 3 sets of 5 for at least another cycle. I’m going to follow the Triumvirate assistance template for awhile but throw in some bench on the press day, and SLDL instead of leg curls on squat day.

• I will retest my max at the end of June before I leave Korea (and not a day sooner), then go to a minimal training schedule for the month of July to get reacquainted with my family. I want to enter the 100% RAW meet in Jarvisburg, NC on 1 August 2015, but am unsure how much training I will actually be able to do in July because of traveling. I may wait until the OBX Open for that reason.

Nice progress. Keep it up.

[quote]Nate Daniel wrote:

• My press is my slowest moving lift, probably because I do them on Monday, and I just cant seem to get comfortable
    [/quote]

It not likely to be about Mondays. The press is a slow progressing lift for just about everyone. It’s why it’s so satisfying making progress on the fucker.

Great progress Nate! Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any weight/size changes over the noted cycles?

same question about weight and size, especially since I’ve pretty much exactly the same 1RM as your “before”, but I don’t get the BBB 50%, find them so light. I think I need to reconsider my approach

[quote]tontongg wrote:
same question about weight and size, especially since I’ve pretty much exactly the same 1RM as your “before”, but I don’t get the BBB 50%, find them so light. I think I need to reconsider my approach[/quote]

You’re supposed to do the movement so it feels heavy. Feel the muscle contraction, squeeze hard at the top, etc.

[quote]littlesleeper wrote:
Great progress Nate! Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any weight/size changes over the noted cycles?
[/quote]
I have gained about 10 pounds (I say about because I don’t weigh in at same time of day), and lost 4% body fat according to the Army tape system. As for size, I definitely look like I lift more than I did before. I basically followed Jim’s nutrition guidelines: Ate good food, and since I was trying to gain some weight added 2 big cups of milk to every meal.

Awesome job, NateDaniel. Love 5/3/1.