T Nation

4 Months Learning/Progress

Hi guys.

I have spent the last 4 months educating myself a little about strength training and nutrition. After reading over so much conflicting info out there on all things strength and nutrition I decided the best route for me was to just pick anything and get into the gym and go with it. I ended up picking the Stronglifts program followed by Chad Waterburys ABBH.

My diet was reasonably low carb as I feel I am carb sensitive to a degree. I am obviously not blessed with a great base and can only go as far as my skinny little wrists will take me but I have managed to alter my body composition a little in this time and am now at the stage where I would like to start to build some muscle. I'm just looking for some tips on where to go next?

I have been looking at Nortons P.H.A.T training and upping my calories. Taking things from there a step at a time and constantly monitoring. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stats 5'8, 161lbs

Thanks.

You said your goal is to “build some muscle,” so a hypertrophy program.

If you’re happy w/ the results, why not just stick w/ ABBH?

Thanks for the reply. I am coming to the end of ABBH in 3 weeks or so. I am looking for some advice of where to go after this.

I found this elsewhere:

[quote]Let me first address some issues with the original plan. Once you finish the first 23 days of the original program, do the following:

1. Switch the movement plane with the strength training method. In other words, Day 1 becomes 5 sets of 10 repetitions with horizontal pressing/pulling. Use the same 60 second rest periods as originally prescribed and utilize antagonist training (i.e., switch back and forth between the pressing and pulling exercises).

2. Lower body movements should be switched in the same manner. For example, Day 3 becomes 10 sets of 3-5 reps with the same giant set sequence (e.g., front squats, rest, hanging pikes, rest, standing calf raises, rest, etc.).

3. Continue this program for another 23 days[/quote]

Not sure if that helps, but just in case you hadn’t seen it.

[quote]Mikelib wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am coming to the end of ABBH in 3 weeks or so. I am looking for some advice of where to go after this.[/quote]

If you liked Waterbury’s style this is a good follow on…

otherwise get on something like a 5/3/1 template

Cheers LoRez. I am already on that part of the plan. Couple of weeks left to go! I will check it out Rampant badger! Enjoyed the Waterbury style!