T Nation

4 Iraqi Policemen Shot by US Troops

Following this bit from the 12th of April;

[i]"American troops have mistakenly killed at least eight Iraqi police officers at a checkpoint in Falluja, west of Baghdad, witnesses say.

The men who died were members of the local US-trained protection force, who were chasing a car carrying suspected thieves when the Americans opened fire on them, survivors said."[/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3102920.stm

Yesterday saw even more carnage courtesy of the US military:

[i]"U.S. Troops Kill Three Iraqi Police Officers
In a separate incident in western Iraq, three Iraqi police officers have died after being mistakenly shot by U.S. troops. The shooting occurred during a U.S. raid on suspected members of al-Qaida in Iraq.

The US soldiers say they did not realize that Iraqi police forces were also in the area. In a statement the U.S. military said the troops had to take "appropriate measures for self-defense.""[/i]

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/17/1326249
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-12-20-policemen-killed_x.htm

How on earth do you expect Iraqis to forgive such behavior? Let me guess...you simply don't care.

Next time you wonder why Iraqis are shooting at US troops instead of handing them flowers, keep in mind that too many innocents died as a direct consequence of US "peace-keeping" presence there.

Zing.

Please...if you are going to report events like this please report the car and roadside shop bombs that kill hundreds of Women and Police (Iraqi)daily caused and performed by your so called "resistance". Why not report those and look at why a freaking shopping center was bombed and troops were not targeted??

You have your glory story today, and it's weak sauce.

You hit it right on the head. The US Forces who accidentally shot a dozen police officers in the line of duty are clearly much more deserving of the wrath of the average Iraqi than those good patriots who blew up a hundred and sixty common Iraqi citizens. Thanks for keeping us abreast of the day-to-day massacres carried out by the evil imperialist capitalist pigs.

Oh yeah?

[i]BAGHDAD, Iraq - Over the past six months, American troops have died in Iraq at the highest rate since the war began, an indication that the conflict is becoming increasingly dangerous for U.S. forces even after more than four years of fighting.

From October 2006 through last month, 532 American soldiers were killed, the most during any six-month period of the war. March also marked the first time that the U.S. military suffered four straight months of 80 or more fatalities. April, with at least 58 service members killed through Monday, is on pace to be one of the deadliest months of the conflict for American forces.

Senior American military officials attribute much of the increase to the Baghdad security crackdown, now in its third month. But the rate of fatalities was increasing even before a more aggressive strategy began moving U.S. troops from heavily fortified bases into smaller neighborhood outposts throughout the capital, placing them at greater risk of roadside bombings and small-arms attacks.

Roadside bombs have long been the No. 1 killer of American troops in Iraq. Since October, officials said, insurgents have been employing more sophisticated devices, with the most lethal results coming in Baghdad. Nearly 38 percent of military deaths since October have occurred in the capital, compared with 29 percent over the previous 12 months, according to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count, an independent, U.S.-based Web site that monitors military and civilian casualties. (...)[/i]

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/17087215.htm

Remind me again of how many American lives were lost in Iraq since the invasion? How many kids lost limbs? Too many or not nearly enough?

Supporters of war disgust me.

How 'bout this?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/18/iraq.main/index.html

I think it is sad the U.S. had a freindly fire incident. It sucks that they died, but that was an accident. No intentional killing of those police officers. What about the story above. Doing the will of Allah, I suppose?

lixy, your campaign is failing.

Even your former allies, the scared dems, are quiescent.

Hint: If you want to undermine our will, you have to be taken seriously.

You aren't.

JeffR

I tell you what Lixy. When you have been in Iraq for a year on a combat team you maybe have earned the right to comment on the mistakes or decisions of those who serve there.

If this is not the case..STFU.

If it is the case. Accept my apology and rant on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the soldiers for the accident. Such things are bound to happen in those environments and I perfectly understand that. I fail to see how you interpreted my post to blame them for the deaths of the policemen. Please clarify.

What I tried to illustrate was that there's NO WAY the average Iraqi is ever gonna forgive such things. Those accidents added to Abu Ghraib, the series of kiddy rapes by GIs, the oil and reconstruction contracts going to US firms are simply too much to be forgotten; And as long as US troops are there, Iraqis will find ways to harm them.

Incidentally, in Italy today, a US Army National Guardsman goes on trial in absentia for shooting dead Italian secret service agent Nicola Calipari. Calipari was killed in Iraq two years ago shortly after he helped free the kidnapped journalist Giuliana Sgrena.

And you are helping the situation how exactly? From what I can tell, suicide attacks are a post-US invasion phenomenon and their frequency and deadliness has been increasing steadily.

The ones posing bombs and killing innocents are blood-thirsty bastrards. There is absolute concensus on that. The question is rather whether US presence in Iraq is doing anything else besides fuel the hatred. If you have figures showing the attacks or the death tolls are decreasing, you may then convince me that the troops should stay there. Otherwise, follow Bolton's advice and just get the hell out of there before the hole you're digging becomes your grave.

Hillary, I mean Lixy, are you a woman? There is no way you have a pair of balls.

Do you honestly think American soldiers are trying to kill Iraqi security forces? What good would that do? Are you retarded? Do you want America to lose this war just because you are a communist? Do you know that American soldiers are willing to die for you, as much as you hate them, if your country needed them just like Europe did in WW2.

I know this because I was a soldier, many of my brothers have died for people that hate them a lot worse than you. One of the greatest feelings I ever had was seeing the gratitude of the Kurdish people had for us, and working with the Peshmerga that all had stories of the brutality of Saddam inflicted on their families, soldiers which I am friends with today that understand true evil. They knew had it not been for the evil empire America, they would probably be a race no more.

NO, you prove the point right here. If the hatred were toward the US, then more troops would be targeted and certainly never in civilian areas where troops are not even present. So if it is the US, then why the pubic bombs against it's own people?

1 reason. People in the middle east love to hate each other for religious reasons and are willing to kill each other over these petty differences.

Who else is going to help combat there civil war issues?........

By the way I don't support war, however I do support this task we are doing by protecting the majority of the Iraqi people and it's elected government.

Now you just sound like Baghdad Bob. You go too far with the comedy lix.

Dammit man, unfortunately shit like this happens in wars. It's not like U.S. troops try to kill Iraqi soldiers forces. And check the statistics, since the troop surge sectarian violence has certainly gone down.

So if we pull out of there then the Iraqis would kill the fuck out of each other and since the country is like 60% shiite the sunnis would get their asses slaughtered. Ironically they are the ones responsible for most of the suicide bombings...

Maybe suicide bombings didn't happen under Saddam because your family would then be tortured to death with power drills and the like. Your dad would get to watch your sister get raped and your brother have drills driven through his hands. Maybe that's why no bombings?

Are you advocating that we go back to that?

Lixy,
Reading your posts, besides nauseating me, reminds me of a quote from Col. Jessup in "A Few Good Men" with my comments in parentheses.
Son(You leech of American luxury and freedom), we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns.

Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg(Lixy)? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago(the loss of innocent lives), and you curse the marines(military). You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death(the loss of innocent lives), while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man(leech) who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to(or your analysis of it).

Don't use Col Jessup as an example.

His fine speech does not change the fact that he manipulated events leading to the needless death of a young man, and then covered it up at the expense of others. Basically, a totally unnecessary and ego driven abuse of power (yes, I know it's only a movie).

Lixy, while I can understand your desire for the cessation of hostilities, I think you need to think a little bit about the nature of hostilities that will be present if and when the US does leave Iraq.

It has the potential to make current matters look like a day in the park.

Sadly, things have been greatly fucked up in the region, yet again. Presumably the US will be aiding whatever side is anti-Iran or anti-Al Queda, and the region will be in conflict whether or not anyone else has troops there.

Focusing on what are unfortunate and minor mistakes, in the bigger picture, is a churlish move and makes you look like an idiot.

P.S. I want a cookie from some of you right wing retards who always claim that I never say anything against people who aren't conservative.

You deserve a box.

What is your take on this atrocity?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1103AP_Turkey_Bible_Attack.html

and while we're at it, how many Iraqi policemen have been killed by terrorist's suicide and car bombings this year? A lot more than 4.

That's easy, to start a civil war in hopes of getting the US to pull-out of Iraq ('cuz it be a war zone and they hope that the US wouldn't be able to keep the peace or choose sides).

Also this stuff started after the US invasion, so many blame the US and say that at least this stuff didn't happen under Houssein.

It's obviously still the insurgents' fault and they are entirely to blame... but they know that they can stir-up at least some people and blame the US for everything (knowing that people often look back on the past through rose-coloured glasses).