T Nation

4 in a Row Template vs 3 Days?

When wife goes back to work next week and no baby sitter due to covid. means gym days are Monday threw Thursday. Work from sat Sunday Monday
1 my thoughts were to do a recomp and drop calories on work days.
On gym days early am weight vest walk. Gym in afternoon.

Is a four day in a row 5/3/1 plan advisable or take Wednesday off and do a three day template?

And if I do three day. Which two days is best to combine?

Both approaches work.

I would think it would depend on the program followed and exercise choices. For me, I would follow a 3 day template but that’s because my recovery isn’t what it was when I was younger.

Which program are you planning to run? Just about every one of them can be turned into a 3-day program where you just do the 4th day of the program on the first day of the 2nd week. I’ve been doing that with Coffinworm from Forever and really like it.

My advice is to do a 4-day program 3 days a week, or find a specific 3-day-per-week program you like and start there. If you tolerate it OK from a recovery standpoint then maybe see if you can handle 4 days in a row. Personally, I’m not ready to deadlift 2 days after squatting (or vice-versa) if I’m pushing my PR sets or supplemental hard.

Juad been running first set last before covid. Had pretty much peaked on lifts. So was planning to drop my tm. Wanted to do bbb. But not sure if running that 4 in a row will work. Plus. I’m a little fluffy. Dropping 10# wouldn’t hurt. Trt 150mg keeps recovery fair. As far as diet. When I’m in gym mode it’s on point. It’s when I can’t due to covid it goes to shit.

What’s your job?

Try running BBB over 3 days so:
Monday - squat
Tuesday - press
Wednesday - easy conditioning
Thursday - deadlift
Friday, Saturday & Sunday - off

Monday - Bench Press
Tuesday - squat
Wednesday - easy conditioning
Thursday - press

Etc…

1 Like

Nurse 10k step. Occasional lifting

Well finished week 2 of 4 days in a row. in a row yesterday.
Work up feeling exhausted. Good break fast and lunch and had a good work out . Even did 5 s pro fsl. But don’t think that will last all three cycles.

Do you guys do a de load week with BBB?

I always did when I ran BBB, but I didn’t start doing 531 until I was in my 30’s and had lots of mileage from competitive olympic lifting in my teens and 20’s.
I wish I would’ve occasionally chosen to take a few more deload weeks back in my competitive days. But I didn’t and let my ego take over more than I’d like to admit when I was younger. Now I don’t have a choice. I have to deload or watch my joints swiftly disintegrate after a few months.