4 Hour Work Week: Fnding a Muse

Has anyone else read “The Four Hour Work Week” by Tim Ferris and changed they way they work/live? If so, did you go after the concept of your “muse”?

Here’s the deal, finished school last month and already see my student loans staring me in the eye. Add the fact that I have yet to find a source of income (job, random work, prostitution).

The whole aspect of finding a muse and automating some income sounds like something worth pursuing, regardless if you have a full time job or not.

figure out what you’re good at or what you can be considered an expert in, and do something related to that. Information products are easy to produce and sell. Especially when you can use preexisting services like clickbank, etc.

I’ve read the book, and am working on my “muse” but it’s something I’m very passionate about (classical guitar). Whatever products I release will be a result of wanting to create something guitar related to use with with my own students.

What is your degree in?

The thing to take to heart from the book is that a person should not live the deferred life plan. It’s not a book about how to get rich quick. A successful company or online business will take a lot of work and requires one to think more in the long term.

Sport Management. I made the mistake of choosing it as a major because it had sport in the title. It gave me a lot of good lessons on business (marketing, advertising, finance), I just never saw myself marketing for a team or college.

The one aspect he mentioned that I’m really trying to focus on is defining two niches you’re a part of and creating a product that would work within both.

My initial idea is a supplement/vitamin company. But then again I just finished the book two days ago so I don’t expect to find a “winner” in my first couple dozen ideas.

why not start out with a supplement/nutrition store…a worn idea i know, but there is so much you could do differently in it.
eg: protein powder to go for people coming from or going to the gym, home-made protein bars, discounted supp stacks (moving dead/excess stock),
OR
visit ‘the pump cafe’ (around manhattan) offers actual meals like the ones you would ideally want to consume. then take it back and replicate the model.
OR
Borrow some money and start a fast food franchise
OR
complete a CMA or CGA or securities course
OR
Apply for jobs abroad (where the economies are not sooo screwed)
OR
find a growing university, borrow money, build student housing (financing and houses are pretty cheap at the moment)

remember, a successful business idea does not have to be ‘new-too-market’. old ideas make plenty of money as well. eg: franchisees, liquor store owners, consultants, teachers (atleast in Canada) etc

The internet can be a good source of a passive income. Be prepared to put some time in but it is low/no risk and easy to maintain once you get it going.

I’ve found my muse and I’m still at uni. It was just one of those ideas that was too great to pass up.

In my eyes you shouldn’t have to force it. Just keep your eyes open as you go about your daily business and ask yourself: “Could this be automated?”, “Is there a product that could do this better?”, “Can I improve upon this existing product?”.

If the answer’s “yes” to any of those things look around for a market. Do some investigating. It may not be worthwhile, or you may be sitting on a goldmine. All you need is a ‘muse’ and some dedication :slight_smile:
Good luck.

-Rowesk

Evil1 - custom/home made protein bars was my original idea. Literally the very first one I had. I thoroughly enjoy cooking and am going to get in touch with my ex’s brother who went to culinary school so I can pick his brain about some stuff.

Roweski - I absolutely agree that it’s not something that can be forced. If you do force it, I feel like you most likely end up wasting time/money just because you made yourself think it was such a good idea.

Sounds like patience and a keen eye for improvement are going to be very important here. Thanks for all the advice everyone.