4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss

This guy is a fraud. He’s pretty good at making money at the expense of gullible folk, that’s all.

Oh.

I am all for being critical, but criticism demands arguments and I did not see any good ones in the last posts for saying Ferris is a fraud. He never said that he came up with all this stuff on his own and names his sources. He does seem to blow up some of his results and findings, but I have not yet seen any writer that does not do this.

I read the book (the parts I wanted to know about) and he did get me to think about some things. The 4hour body is not my bible however.

Reasons Why Tim Ferris is a fraud:

1. The 4-Hour work week

The biggest pile of tripe I have ever read in my life. Sure, if you can create a successful online business selling something that requires minimal effort on your part, or you are top tier management in a company somewhere, you can sit on your ass for most of the week. But to then suggest that everyone who has a regular job can do it is retarded. Anyone who follows his reccomendations in a real company is going to get fired or replaced by someone who is prepared to come into the office.

1. He sells a shit supplement and claims its a fucking “neural accelerator”. Fuck off please. For someone who likes to have evidence to back up his claims, where is the evidence for speeding up the transmission of electrical impulses in the brain with his shitty supplement. More bullshit to sell bullshit. And this is just one example, there are countless others.

2. Over 30 pounds of NEW LEAN MUSCLE in 28 days, in a HANDFUL of workouts WITHOUT GEAR. Please, don’t insult my intelligence any further.

3. He won a Martial arts tournament by dehydrating, and shoving small asian people off the edge of a ring because he was now several weightclasses above them. What a fucking achievement. For his next feat, he’s going to dress up his legs and arms as prosthetic limbs and clean up at the para-olympics. What a legend.

I can’t be arsed to continue.

[quote]MassiveGuns wrote:

1. The 4-Hour work week

The biggest pile of tripe I have ever read in my life. Sure, if you can create a successful online business selling something that requires minimal effort on your part, or you are top tier management in a company somewhere, you can sit on your ass for most of the week. But to then suggest that everyone who has a regular job can do it is retarded. Anyone who follows his reccomendations in a real company is going to get fired or replaced by someone who is prepared to come into the office.

1. He sells a shit supplement and claims its a fucking “neural accelerator”. Fuck off please. For someone who likes to have evidence to back up his claims, where is the evidence for speeding up the transmission of electrical impulses in the brain with his shitty supplement. More bullshit to sell bullshit. And this is just one example, there are countless others.

2. Over 30 pounds of NEW LEAN MUSCLE in 28 days, in a HANDFUL of workouts WITHOUT GEAR. Please, don’t insult my intelligence any further.

3. He won a Martial arts tournament by dehydrating, and shoving small asian people off the edge of a ring because he was now several weightclasses above them. What a fucking achievement. For his next feat, he’s going to dress up his legs and arms as prosthetic limbs and clean up at the para-olympics. What a legend.

I can’t be arsed to continue. [/quote]
lol.

1. The 4-Hour work week

/thread

I purchased the kindle edition of the 4HB and I must say it is an interesting read It’s almost like Ripley’s believe it or not lol for example in the Geek to Freak where he claims to have put on 34 lbs of muscle in 28 days.

Tim Ferris-“Oh , and I forgot to mention all of this was done with two 30-minute workouts per week , for a total of 4 hours of gym time…”

Here is the quote simple supplement regimen he followed:

Morning: Nitric Oxide product ( 2 scoops ) , niacinamide 500mg
Each Meal: Chromium polynicotinate 200mcg , ALA 200mg
Pre WO: (body quick) 2 capsules 30 min prior
Post WO: 30 g Micellar casein protein
Prior to Bed: policosanol 23 mg , chromemate 200 mcg , ALA 200 mg , niacinamide 500 mg
-No anabolics were used

The above was from the Geek To Freak chapter

I have personally tried the style of workouts which he used and recommends for the program. The infamous HIIT program of Aurthur Jones …This was obviously before I’ve even heard of Tim Ferris my freshman year at college when thinking I needed more time to bang chicks and go to class and spend less time in the gym lol, and although I saw some results after about 6 weeks and drinking about a gallon of kool aid and creatine monohydrate I felt the stimulus wasn’t enough and most of my gains were from the sugar and creatine. I guess my GI trained ass was used to working out 6 days a week and having high endurance.But maybe I wasn’t going to absolute failure …nonetheless I do agree on the GOMAD approach although I think after a certain degree /age/ bw some people don’t need the full Gallon and can do a liter a day and still notice the scale go up week after week… but 30lbs of lean muscle mass in 28 days :::rolls eyes:::…

I’d like to thank MassiveGuns as i read this thread on Sunday morning before going out to my bookstore here in Taipei and they had the book…which otherwise would have intrigued me and I might have bought it…but didn’t because of the stuff I’d read here only an hour before. Thanks again.

I bought it out out of curiosity. not bad, i’m not going to do any his workoust, interested in PAGG though

[quote]elrey316 wrote:
I purchased the kindle edition of the 4HB and I must say it is an interesting read It’s almost like Ripley’s believe it or not lol for example in the Geek to Freak where he claims to have put on 34 lbs of muscle in 28 days.

Tim Ferris-“Oh , and I forgot to mention all of this was done with two 30-minute workouts per week , for a total of 4 hours of gym time…”

Here is the quote simple supplement regimen he followed:

Morning: Nitric Oxide product ( 2 scoops ) , niacinamide 500mg
Each Meal: Chromium polynicotinate 200mcg , ALA 200mg
Pre WO: (body quick) 2 capsules 30 min prior
Post WO: 30 g Micellar casein protein
Prior to Bed: policosanol 23 mg , chromemate 200 mcg , ALA 200 mg , niacinamide 500 mg
-No anabolics were used

The above was from the Geek To Freak chapter

I have personally tried the style of workouts which he used and recommends for the program. The infamous HIIT program of Aurthur Jones …This was obviously before I’ve even heard of Tim Ferris my freshman year at college when thinking I needed more time to bang chicks and go to class and spend less time in the gym lol, and although I saw some results after about 6 weeks and drinking about a gallon of kool aid and creatine monohydrate I felt the stimulus wasn’t enough and most of my gains were from the sugar and creatine. I guess my GI trained ass was used to working out 6 days a week and having high endurance.But maybe I wasn’t going to absolute failure …nonetheless I do agree on the GOMAD approach although I think after a certain degree /age/ bw some people don’t need the full Gallon and can do a liter a day and still notice the scale go up week after week… but 30lbs of lean muscle mass in 28 days :::rolls eyes:::…
[/quote]
Thanks for this post. I find it useful to read personal experiences with this style of training.

1. The 4-Hour work week

Arse as a verb?

Brilliant.

4) He won a Martial arts tournament by dehydrating, and shoving small asian people off the edge of a ring because he was now several weightclasses above them. What a fucking achievement. For his next feat, he’s going to dress up his legs and arms as prosthetic limbs and clean up at the para-olympics. What a legend.

It’s called cutting weight. Martial artists have been doing this since the creation of weight classes.

[quote]John Romaniello wrote:
In terms of claiming muscle gain, his “Colorado” experiment (also known as his Geek-to-Freak experiment) where he gained 34 pounds in 2 8 days was monitored by a Ph.D at San Jose State University with hydrostatic weighing.

He’s very honest that there was a lot of muscle re-gain during this time period (muscle memory, horay!) but he did gain a lot of new lean tissue.

I don’t want to imply that Tim isn’t a bit of a trickster–that’s part of his schtick: finding the loopholes and exploiting them. I just think it’s a gross overstatement to say that guy is making ALL of his claims based on water manipulation.

[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion on this Roman. I’m halfway through the book myself and I whole-heartedly agree with your last sentence. He’s playing on some misinterpretation, but it’s not outright lies, and he did get real life results.

Regarding the Colorado “Geek to (mini)Freak” Experience, he comes out honest about his genetics and being sort of “super slow-twitch”. From experience, people with a slow-twitch profile or those who lean toward a more slow-twitch profile will have good results from a method that massacre the muscles, a la DoggCrapp, Heavy Duty or HIT. Again, not saying everyone, even the most slow-twitch guy, will get similar results, but it is technically possible.

As far as being worth being, my answer is yes, even though I haven’t read it entirely yet. It’s funny, easy to understand, packed with great tips and infos. Just my two cents

It’s good book and the guy doesn’t seem to take himself to seriously and is trying some crazy crap so the average guy can benefit. I have it on kindle and enjoyed it.

BTW, it’s HIT, not HIIT. the last is high intensity interval training.

he does talk to experts for various things, you see Charles Poliquin performing ART on Tim.
He talks to mark bell on the chapter add 100 lbs to your bench
He talks to swim coach, for tips on how to swim better
Defranco training for doing nfl combine stuff better
how is that a fraud? he doesn’t claim he knows everything, but he does go to great lengths testing stuff on himself

I lawfully obtained a copy of this book off the internet and read through the “Geek to Freak” chapter, which basically seemed to advocate doing fewer workouts, with slower reps to create time under tension of 80-120 seconds per exercise, coupled with high calorie intake. Then almost immediately it jumped into “The 15 minute female orgasm” and thus followed a gleefully smug account of his “research” into female orgasms.

I read the book over the last 2 weeks…

He has a very appealing writing style and he is one of the best self promoting marketers I’ve come across - so there’s much you can pick-up in those areas even if you don’t gain anything else.

I like his general approach to self-experimentation, rigorously documenting his progress and it has inspired me to be a bit more meticulous in those areas to find out what works best for me.

Content-wise I don’t think there’s anything that will be groundbreaking to many here on the topics of fat loss, muscle and strength that you haven’t already heard either at T-Nation or elsewhere in other resources, but for the average person looking to get started in those areas it is a good resource IMO.

It’s a good book for the average person, i like Tim Ferriss style.

Occams Razor in full effect:

80% of you are idiots
20% of you are not

80% of you have not even TRIED his protocols
20% of you have tried his protocols. (including myself. Most of it work IF you do it EXACTLY the way he advises you to do it. Some of the stuff doesn’t. If you tried his stuff, are you following it EXACTLY the way he presents it to you? You may want to think about that…)

Maybe you should STFU and try it out before talking shit on someone who dedicated years to the writing of such an epic book.

Read the fucking book.

haters gonna hate…

I’ve read 4 Hour Work Week, and frankly, I completely loved it. I’m already working in a highly independent sort of field, and while I’m nowhere in the planet of a 4 hour work week, I have a hell of a lot of more control over my time, and a lot more free time to work with.

A lot of that free time I reinvest into work, but that’s just because I really love what I do.

I haven’t bought The 4 Hour Body just yet, because I’m always dubious about these folks who have one great idea, then sort of become an expert on everything…but I’m pretty sure I’ll get around to it eventually.

I think the whole thing about the ‘4 hour’ thing is an intentionally provocative title designed to be generally inspirational, and one can see that as either a ‘hook’ or as hucksterism, still I gave his other material a try and I’m happy I did.