T Nation

4 Day Upper/Lower Feedback

Hi,

This is the 4 Day split I have just designed I just wanted to get some feedback/improvements

For the heavy movements I will be starting at about 70% of my 1RM
for the other movements I will looking at adding weight once I reach the designated number of reps.

What I am looking for is what improvements could be made if necessary

Tues: Lower Body

Heavy movement (Deadlift 5x3 w 120s rest)
Single-leg movement (Split squat 3x10 w 90s rest)
Assistance movement (Goblet Squat 3x12 w 60s)
Glute Bridge (3x12 w 45s rest)
Core (Rollouts 1x Max)

Thurs: Upper Body

Heavy vertical pull (Pull up 5x3 w 120s rest)
Horizontal press (DB bench press 3x8 w 90s rest)
Horizontal pull (Bent over row 3x8 w 90s rest)
Heavy vertical press (Military press 5x3 w 120s rest)
Direct arm work (Hammer curl 2x12 w 60s rest)

Sat: Lower Body

Speed movement (Squat 4x8 w 90s rest)
Single-leg movement (SLDL 3x8 w 60s rest)
Assistance movement (Swing 3x12 w 60s rest)
Farmers walk (1x100)
Core (TGU 3x10 w 60s rest)

Sun: Upper Body

Heavy horizontal pull (1 arm row 5x3 w 120 rest)
Vertical press (DB press 3x8 w 90s rest)
Vertical pull (Chin-up 3x8 w 90s rest)
Heavy horizontal press (Bench press 5x3 w 120s rest)
Direct arm work (Triceps ext 2x12 w 60s rest)

Week 1:â?? Regular Reps
Week 2:â?? Slow Eccentric (slow down)
Week 3:â?? Eccentric Pauses (3 pauses)
Week 4:â?? Concentric Pauses (3 pauses)

The first things somebody is going to ask is your height, weight, sex, current lifts and goals.

How are you planning to progress? The same rep scheme every week? Why these particular movements? Designing your own program is fun but you have to know what you are getting into and there has to be a reason for everything based off goals. I’d recommend just doing something like 531 or the cube tbh. You can still pick all your accessory moves

[quote]Murraynt wrote:
The first things somebody is going to ask is your height, weight, sex, current lifts and goals. [/quote]

Damnit, beat me to it.

Looks fine, I’m intrigued why you are changing the style of reps every week? Whats your thinking behind this?

[quote]Murraynt wrote:
The first things somebody is going to ask is your height, weight, sex, current lifts and goals. [/quote]

^ This.

[quote]Mojo4267 wrote:

Week 1:â?? Regular Reps
Week 2:â?? Slow Eccentric (slow down)
Week 3:â?? Eccentric Pauses (3 pauses)
Week 4:â?? Concentric Pauses (3 pauses)[/quote]

I wouldn’t even begin to worry about this as a beginning lifter. Rep tempo, bands, chains, etc are all great lifting tools, but as a beginner the basics are where it is at. Learn proper form and just let the weight on the bar increase from hard work for a while. You’ll get strength gains from neural adaptation alone at first, then eventually from adding muscle mass.

As for a program, as a beginner I would try something proven like Starting Strength or something like that. There are many ways to skin a cat, but as a beginner you want to consider full body programs. I saw great gains myself and from the people around me doing a 4-day a week push/pull program for football in high school and college.

[quote]cparker wrote:
How are you planning to progress? The same rep scheme every week? Why these particular movements? Designing your own program is fun but you have to know what you are getting into and there has to be a reason for everything based off goals. I’d recommend just doing something like 531 or the cube tbh. You can still pick all your accessory moves [/quote]

This.

Your program looks fine to me.
I’m training in a similar manner at the moment with an upper/ lower, strength / hypertrophy split.
It’s a very rewarding way to train and a great way to change things up a bit from a traditional 3 or 4 way split.

I wouldn’t worry about slow eccentrics and pauses though. Just focus on lowering the weight under control and that should be fine.

I would make a few changes to your exercise order;
Always do your heavy work first. On your Upper body days you are doing strength work as a 4th exercise. Both those should be your 1st exercise. By changing that alone you will be stronger.
Also make the 2nd exercise the antagonist to the first. So heavy vertical push followed by heavy vertical pull.
Horizontal push followed by horizontal pull and so on.

Edit: One other thing I would change is I’d switch your horizontal pulls around. One Arm Row (I presume with a Dumbbell) is much better with higher reps whereas Barbell Bent Over Row is much better with low reps.
So just swap them around.

It would then look like this:

Thurs: Upper Body

Heavy vertical press (Military press 5x3 w 120s rest)
Heavy vertical pull (Pull up 5x3 w 120s rest)
Horizontal press (DB bench press 3x8 w 90s rest)
Horizontal pull (1 arm row 3x8 w 90s rest)
Direct arm work (Hammer curl 2x12 w 60s rest)

Sun: Upper Body

Heavy horizontal press (Bench press 5x3 w 120s rest)
Heavy horizontal pull (Bent over row 5x3 w 120 rest)
Vertical press (DB press 3x8 w 90s rest)
Vertical pull (Chin-up 3x8 w 90s rest)
Direct arm work (Triceps ext 2x12 w 60s rest)

I kinda like the routine too. This systematic approach to covering all the movement patterns seems cool. Once you run it for a week or 2, you’ll probably find one or two exercises you picked aren’t as cool as you thought they’d be. The frame-work you set up will allow you to just swap a new lift right in. So If glute bridges turn out to be whack, you can just do swings twice a week because they cover the same “pattern” or muscles groups or whatever.

The changes in exercise order Angus mentioned seem pretty smart.

The 4 week progression using the same weight, with more pauses each week is from C.T. I haven’t tried it yet, but C.T. seems to know what he’s doing. I have done something similar, using the same weights for 4 weeks and trying to get 1 or 2 more total reps each week. Using the same weight for 4 sessions in a row, it’s just natural to start to pause at the top and the bottom, and to control the eccentric. Each week I feel “better” at the lift. I’m not worried about rushing to add 5 pounds. I know the weight will be the same, so the only way to progress is to add more quality.

ws4sb