T Nation

4 Day Texas Method Variation

Hi, I am wanting to start the Texas method and found this on Barbell medicine, would this be a good way to do it if I am wanting to do 4 days?
May do cardio/stair master on a day of aswell

Squat @ 5X5 @ 90% 5RM
Deadlift Variation @ 3X5
Back Extensions @ 5X10

Bench @ New 5RM
OHP @ 3X5
Pull Ups @ AMRAP X 3

Squat @ New 5RM
Deadlift @ 1X5 @ 90% 5RM
Ab Work
Rows 3X5

Bench @ 5X5 @ 90% 5RM
OHP @ 3X8
Chins @ AMRAP X 3

What is your experience with lifting?
If you’ve been lifting for a while, give it a crack, if not, try one of the 5x5 beginner programs, do it solidly for a year or 2, then rethink your program.

I’ve been lifting for around 1 year and a half but focused on strength training more for the past 5/6 months

No I wouldnt do that. The heavy-light-medium approach is central to Texas methods success which you dont have there. Having a light/recovery day is what keeps you from hitting a wall.

If want add 4th day i Would just do the 3days as is and then go in on Saturday for a ‘bro pump’ day of high rep isolation work. Side delts, abs biceps calves etc all for 3x15-20.

A session of heavy conditioning/ hard HIIT another option

There is something to be said about the volume-light-heavy layout of the texas method.

That said, the program is awful how it is and almost impossible if you are not young and athletic.

Day 1 can be a 2 hour slogfest and Day 3 is no walk in the park. You almost certainly need a coach to stop you running straight into a brick wall by week 3.

So, yes, if you are going to do the Ripplestiltskin programs, go for the Barbell Medicine flavours of them - they’ve basically been polished up with a Mike T feel.

The Texas Method was written to be used by young males who had completed the Starting Strength program, thus were already strong, who were interested in becoming competitive powerlifters. The author of the program doesn’t recommend it for ANYONE ELSE. He has frequently steered people away from it, saying “the Texas Method will kill you”. Keep this in mind before you get on it…if you just want to get stronger consider 5/3/1.

I personally think this is a good DUP kinda template.

Considering the original is:

Squat 5x5
Bench or OHP 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Squat 2x5
Bench or OHP 3x5
Chin Up
Back Extension

Squat 5RM
Bench or OHP 5RM
Powerclean/Powersnatch

I would omit the Power Clean/Power Snatch in favor of a 5RM for Deadlift (at least a damn 3 or 4RM), and add volume to the 1x5 deadlift - maybe a 6x3.

I like your structure, so I would do:

5RM Lower body
5x5 Upperbody
Recovery Lowerbody

or

5RM Upperbody
5x5 or 6x3 Lowerbody
Recovery Upperbody

My recommendation (because that volume day takes wayyy to long):
Deadlift 5RM
Bench 5x5
Squat 2x5

OHP 5RM
Squat 5x5
Bench 3x5

Squat 5RM
Bench 5x5
RDL 5x8

Bench 5x5
Deadlift 6x3 (I would personally do this first)
OHP 3x5

with Chins/GHR/Back extension everyday