4 Day Split? Input Please

i want to start a push/pull split for a few months and see how that works. heres what im thinking:

Mon/Thur
bench
dips
overhead press
abs

Tue/Fri
squats
deadlifts
rows
pullups

Wed/Sat
HIIT

Sun
off

should i add or drop anything? im only doing 3 or 4 exercises per session? about wat should my volume be for each exercise to make nice gains? thanks for any input

I would do different exercises on the second upper- and lower-body days.

I agree with Nate as far as changing the exercises. Using your template, I reworked it a little.

Mon
BB bench
dips
rotator cuff work

Tue
squats or deadlifts
rows
calves - soleus

Wed
HIIT
abs - rectus

Thur
DB overhead press
DB incline bench
shrugs

Fri
SLDL or GM
Chin ups
calves - gastrocs

Sat
HIIT
abs - obliques

Sun
off

You should be able to add in a little direct arm work or any other weak area that you want. Each day should easily be done within an hour.

LA

I guess I would do more exercises than that. I’m all for simplicity, but you could add a few more isolation exercises and still stay within an hour for your workout, especially if you do some supersets. I’ve set some clients up on push/pull splits, and have had good results with something more like this. Just an idea…

Day 1
Squat
Bench
Single-leg squat work or quad iso.
Incline bench or military press
Calves
Dips
Maybe additional tricep/chest iso.

Day 2
Deadlift or stiff-leg Deadlift
Pullups
Glute/Ham Raises
Rows
Abs
Rear delt flies
Maybe additional bicep work

Day 3
Yay cardio!

Day 4
Similar exercises to day 1

Day 5
Similar exercises to day 2

Day 6
Cardio/pickup sports/biking,etc.

Day 7
Ditto Day 6

Glutes get some work on both Day 1 and 2, but this hasn’t been too much of an issue for a 3 or 4 week program. Both the men and women I’ve got going on something like this have had good results, felt they got enough recovery and enjoyed the workouts.

While what Nate said is true I also think what you have laid out will work also.

So what it is simple you are not missing anything really. It is bold in its simplicity. I do think you would be wise to at least rotate the movement you start with. such as on day start and concentrate on DL’s. Next pull day start and concentrate on squats. This will let you be fresh for each of these big movements. Same with push bench one week first, then dips, then overhead presses. etc…

Or like was suggested spilt it up. Much like I have done in my EDT program right now. have four days.two upper two lower.

You could look at my thread My EDT critique for an example or one more like you have laid out would be =
Mon/
bench
incline or decline db bench
Assistance
Abs

Thur
dips
overhead press
Assistance
Abs

Tue
squats
step ups
Bent rows
Upright rows

Fri
Deads
Lunges
Chins
Assistance (due to the fact that DL?s are much like another pull on the back)

Either way I think it will work. I actually like what you have to a point like I stated. Like everything it will work for a bit. Just change it after a good run.

Hope that helps,
Phill