T Nation

4 Day Split for MASS?

Hey guys, I'm always looking for new regiments for training, can you help me out?

That has a lot of good, pre-made programs.

On another note, your just posted thread outlining your maxes and current program is literally just under this one.

Given your level of development you outlined in that thread, I don’t think “always looking for new regiments for training” is in your best interest. Find a program, stick to it, and be consistent with your eating. Experimentation is good, but only after you build a base first and understand how those experiments actually effect your body. Only way to understand that is through first building a base.

[quote]jake_richardson wrote:
Hey guys, I’m always looking for new regiments for training, can you help me out?[/quote]

Listen, your training program will not dictate your mass as much as you think it will.

your caloric intake will. You can’t get massive on a minuscule amount of food.

food for thought

[quote]Claudan wrote:

Hey guys, I’m always looking for new regiments for training, can you help me out?[/quote]

Listen, your training program will not dictate your mass as much as you think it will.

food for thought [/quote]

^^^ BINGO

[quote]staystrong wrote:

On another note, your just posted thread outlining your maxes and current program is literally just under this one.

Given your level of development you outlined in that thread, I don’t think “always looking for new regiments for training” is in your best interest. Find a program, stick to it, and be consistent with your eating. Experimentation is good, but only after you build a base first and understand how those experiments actually effect your body. Only way to understand that is through first building a base.[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to show me that, looks good… i just can’t do a 5 day split with my schooling at the moment…

[quote]Claudan wrote:

food for thought [/quote]

I totally agree, thanks for the input.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
food for thought[/quote]

(But yep, when it comes to size, eating is make-or-break and training is relatively-secondary.)

Thank you for taking the time to show me that, looks good… i just can’t do a 5 day split with my schooling at the moment…[/quote]
Check the link I put in your other thread. Some solid training and nutrition info in there.

[quote]staystrong wrote:

Given your level of development you outlined in that thread, I don’t think “always looking for new regiments for training” is in your best interest. Find a program, stick to it, and be consistent with your eating. Experimentation is good, but only after you build a base first and understand how those experiments actually effect your body. Only way to understand that is through first building a base.[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to show me that, looks good… i just can’t do a 5 day split with my schooling at the moment…[/quote]

That thread has like 10 different routines in it, all made by the same (very knowledgeable) guy. If I recall correctly, at least one of them is 4 days.

Carbs

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]staystrong wrote:

That thread has like 10 different routines in it, all made by the same (very knowledgeable) guy. If I recall correctly, at least one of them is 4 days.[/quote]

Ill take a look at that thanks man, what are your thoughts on the beyond 5/3/1 program (1.1)

5/3/1 is well thought out, simple, and lots of people have used it and had success. It will help you build strength and size. IF you stick to it, and IF you stick to consistently eating enough to grow. If you only do one of those, or neither, then like every other program it will not work for you. If you want to do 5/3/1, I suggest buying the book and throughly reading it. Do not try and just “figure out” the program from reading around online. You will miss things.

What Chris posted in your other thread, and what the other guys here have said, still remains true.

Just pick a program that you like, and be consistent with your eating and to the program. It honestly will not even matter if the program is “optimal” or not, if you stick to it you will see gains.

[quote]staystrong wrote:
5/3/1 is well thought out, simple, and lots of people have used it and had success. It will help you build strength and size. IF you stick to it, and IF you stick to consistently eating enough to grow. If you only do one of those, or neither, then like every other program it will not work for you. If you want to do 5/3/1, I suggest buying the book and throughly reading it. Do not try and just “figure out” the program from reading around online. You will miss things.

What Chris posted in your other thread, and what the other guys here have said, still remains true.

Just pick a program that you like, and be consistent with your eating and to the program. It honestly will not even matter if the program is “optimal” or not, if you stick to it you will see gains.[/quote]

Great, I was just thinking if seeing as it contains minimal reps, therefore hypertrophy won’t be a factor? So how much calories should i eat? around 3000+

Great, I was just thinking if seeing as it contains minimal reps, therefore hypertrophy won’t be a factor? So how much calories should i eat? around 3000+ [/quote]

Where were you reading this “minimal” reps business from? Between all the assistance work and stuff like FSL and Jokers you can put in as much volume as you want/need for your goals.

[quote]238 wrote:

Great, I was just thinking if seeing as it contains minimal reps, therefore hypertrophy won’t be a factor? So how much calories should i eat? around 3000+ [/quote]

Where were you reading this “minimal” reps business from? Between all the assistance work and stuff like FSL and Jokers you can put in as much volume as you want/need for your goals.[/quote]

for the strength lifts you are doing 3 sets 3 reps?

[/quote]

Only on the 2nd week of the cycle. Get the book. It is worth it’s weight in gold.

5/3/1 should be done on the simple side by noobs. The “Boring But Big” template (BBB) is perfect for starters. Adds 5 sets of 10 lighter loads of the same lift (for that day) to the back of the workout. Trust me, you WILL be feeling the workload if you are doing it right.

Again. Get the book.

[quote]238 wrote:

Where were you reading this “minimal” reps business from? Between all the assistance work and stuff like FSL and Jokers you can put in as much volume as you want/need for your goals.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ahh, nope. You’re doing ramping sets where the last set for 3 out of the 4 weeks is AMRAP. Now I’m really curious, what about 5/3/1 have you been reading?

[quote]238 wrote:

[quote]238 wrote:

[/quote]

Ahh, nope. You’re doing ramping sets where the last set for 3 out of the 4 weeks is AMRAP. Now I’m really curious, what about 5/3/1 have you been reading?[/quote]

[quote]238 wrote:

[quote]238 wrote:

[/quote]

Ahh, nope. You’re doing ramping sets where the last set for 3 out of the 4 weeks is AMRAP. Now I’m really curious, what about 5/3/1 have you been reading?[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-1[/quote]

You do not only do 3x3. I only briefly glanced at the link, and near the bottom when he’s laying out the training weeks you can see you alternate between going for rep PR’s and only doing 5x5 or something like that. And that’s without me spending more then 20 seconds on the page, and without actually reading the book. Likely, if I read the book I would understand it better. As would you.

You go for rep PR’s. When it says 1+ or 3+ or 5+, it’s very likely you’re going to get 8, 10, 12+ reps on those sets.

^Ditto to all of what staystrong said.

Only thing I would like to add would be to point out:

“Must have a working knowledge of the 5/3/1 Training Program and the Beyond 5/3/1 Training Program.”

It’s pretty clear at this stage that you don’t have a working knowledge of either, so program 1.1 is definitely not for you.

Run this:

or this:

Reading the book is also highly recommended.