4 Day on, 3 Day off Program.

Hey there,

Wasn’t sure where to post this. I wouldn’t consider myself a beginner with regards to working out and such, but there’s no way I match up to the vast majority of guys here. So I guess I’ll ask here.

I was doing “The Shotgun Method” from this site for the past month and a half or so, and was liking it quite a bit. But now I’m back in school, and with the way my schedule is, I can basically workout from Tue-Fri, then have to take Sat-Mon off.

So I was looking for some sort of program that is 4 straight days, then 3 recovery days.

Any opinions?
Thanks

Your best bet would be doing upperbody on tues/thurs and lower on wed/Fri or vice versa. that may or may not be enough rest. If you find you’re too exhausted after 4 consecutive days to progress you may want to rethink how busy you weekend is.

The actual routines would be driven on what your goal was. Get stronger, develop for a particular sport, lose weight, etc.

One of the upper body days could be horizontal (bench variations, cable rows, maybe throw in some curls) the other upper day vertical (shoulder press, pullups, dips, cleans).

One lower day could be hip dominant (deadlifts, step-ups, lunges) the other could be quad dominant (squats, bulgarian split squats, lunges). Core work at the end of each (planks, russian twists, supine hip extension, wood choppers).

If you controlled the volume, you could probably pull off doing 4 days of total body, then taking three off.

otherwise upper/lower or a simple body part split.

You could also do…
tues: upper body push
Weds: Upper body Pull
Thurs: Lower
Fri: sprint training

Hmm… Well, my goal is definately to gain size and strength. I’ve been working out semi-seriously for about 3 years now. I would say that I know what I’m doing in the gym, but I’ve sort of hit a wall for the past few months. Can’t really get any bigger but thats probably cuz I need to eat more lol.

From what I’ve read today, I should be sticking to pull-ups, dips, rows, deadlifts, squats, and presses until I get a good solid base of muscle mass. Is there anything that could be worked around that?

And what else could I do for a leg day besides squats? I can’t do a lot of leg stuff because of a knee injury a few years back. Too much and it causes some pretty good pain.

I know this isn’t the picture forum, but I figured I’d throw some on here anyways. Maybe you guys can give me some general pointers on what to work on?

n/a

Back shot

Side

Legs

And I apologize for the quality of the pictures. Done by myself in the biggest mirror of my house, the bathroom haha.

Work on everything.

No, really. Just lift progressively heavier shit and eat a ton. The upper/lower split is probably going to be your best bet.

Ok that works for me man. So basically just keep it simple? Pull-ups, dips, bench, rows, deadlifts, squats, etc?

What kind of rep/set pattern should I follow?

And if I’m doing pulls one day, pushes the other, and then lower stuff for the third, what can I do on the last day? Could that be used as like a “maitinence” day to do more like, curls, extensions, etc? Less compound movements?

[quote]remlap wrote:
Ok that works for me man. So basically just keep it simple? Pull-ups, dips, bench, rows, deadlifts, squats, etc?

What kind of rep/set pattern should I follow?

And if I’m doing pulls one day, pushes the other, and then lower stuff for the third, what can I do on the last day? Could that be used as like a “maitinence” day to do more like, curls, extensions, etc? Less compound movements?[/quote]

I was thinking more like…

Tues: Upper
Wed: Lower
Thurs: Upper
Friday: Lower

So, keep it simple. Build your routine around big, basic movements. Just change up setxrep schemes.

So, and upper day would include a horizontal press (bench), vertical press(Overhead press), horizontal and vertical pull (row and chin), then some arm crap if you want, or just assign 15 minutes of free time at the end to do whatever you want (beach muscles).

Lower would include a main lift (ala squat variations), then a posterior chain movement (deadlift variation), and a single leg movement and abs. Again, you could put 15 minutes of free time at the end to do whatever (calves, etc.).

Use different movements on each day.

One day “heavy” one day “light.” So you could do something like 3x5 for your heavy days–lower and upper. Then a higher volume day on the other days. So, something like 3-4x10-12. Just pick something and stick with it for a while. When it quits working, change your movements and set/rep schemes.

The other option would be something like this:

Tues: Upper–vertical push, horizontal pull
–Do a heavy OH movement, then some delt crap (raises, etc). Follow with a heavy row variation then a less demanding upper back movement (face pulls, or example)

Wed: Lower–Squat emphasis
–well, there you go. Do a heavy squat movement, then posterior chain movement, then single leg quad emphasis mvt (step ups, reverse lunge, anything really). Abs.

Thurs: Upper–Horizontal Push, vertical pull
–Heavy Bench, supplementary pressing movement (optional), heavy chin and supplemental upper back exercise. Arms. Whatever.

Fri: Lower–Deadlift emphasis
–heavy dead movement. single leg stuff. Maybe some lighter squats. “core” (could include low back raises and abs)

There’s tons of possibilities. The biggest thing is that you pick one, and get to it. There’s more than likely tons of programs on here or else where too. You could give west side for skinny bastards a try, but I wouldn’t want to do that four days in a row.

Good luck!

Yeah, just have a heavy day at the start of the week and a volume day for the other two days. I dont believe in doing push/pull splits because of Waterbury’s science behind Exercise Pairings. You should look at that article it is in one of his HFT articles. Though you are not ready for HFT, you could easily implement Exercise Pairings.

Make sure you are eating as much on you off days as your on days.

x2 upper/lower (upper, lower, upper, lower)

that works great.

and dont’ eat shit; eat food.

:wink:

Upper Heavy/ Lower Heavy/ Upper Light/ Lower Light

remlap…

Stick with the basics, you said it best:

I saw your thread a while ago in the RMP forum and thought you were a troll. The numbers you claim are consistent with six months of training, NOT three years.

Are you even trying in the gym? That sounds like your problem.

Push yourself, eat a ton, sleep, rinse and repeat.

Keep reading the archives: All Articles - T NATION

What’s up with the four on, three off routine? Do something normal like every other day, two on one off, etc.