T Nation

3x10 Instead of 5x10 for BBB

Would it be acceptable to do 3x10 instead of 5x10 for the boring but big assistance?

I don’t know.

[quote]thesecondrei wrote:
Would it be acceptable to do 3x10 instead of 5x10 for the boring but big assistance? [/quote]

We can’t tell you what’s acceptable to you.

If I was beaten up then I would do 3x10 or leave out assistance when required but if you’re looking for someone to validate a form of mediocrity, I suggest this isn’t the place to do it.

Why not try a template you like or tell us what turns you off 5x10 (eg. takes too long) and we can see if there are strategies to make it work for you.

First question: Why do you want to do 3x10 instead of 5x10?

It wouldn’t be boring but big, but it’ll work. Why do you feel the need to change the prescribed template? Can you not hit the numbers across 5 sets? Time constraints?

[quote]tsantos wrote:

Would it be acceptable to do 3x10 instead of 5x10 for the boring but big assistance? [/quote]

We can’t tell you what’s acceptable to you.

If I was beaten up then I would do 3x10 or leave out assistance when required but if you’re looking for someone to validate a form of mediocrity, I suggest this isn’t the place to do it.

Why not try a template you like or tell us what turns you off 5x10 (eg. takes too long) and we can see if there are strategies to make it work for you.[/quote]

Wouldn’t the missing volume be replaced with intensity? ( Easier to gett 3x10 than 5x10, so a heavier weight is used)

I’m guessing it would be less boring but also less big…

Why?

I believe that you can do 3 to 5 sets for FSL but I would BBB just as Jim wrote it. He has a reason for why he programs things the way he does, method to the awesomeness.

I’d leave it the way it is, i.e. 5x10 reps. The exception could be maybe for deadlift - personally I prefer to do 3 sets rather than 5.

I am on my 5th cycle of BBB although I don’t always do 5x10 for deadlifts. My lower back starts to cramp up around the third set. I do use a fatbar though.

There are SO many options in “Beyond” I don’t know why this question is even asked.